SageTV Going Open-Source!

I continue to find my still-running (fingers crossed) SageTV system better than any other solution out there.  Truly fantastic news.

I had just in the last month, switched to WMC/ServerWMC/Kodi on an Amazon Fire TV.  And overall it wasn't bad.  But Live TV had EPG issues.  Mainly, the EPG would take 90-120 seconds to load.  Sometimes more.  Not good.

I like KODI.  But nothing comes close to Sage for TV recording and Live TV.  So I think I am going back.  And hoping that the community comes up with fulle-fledged clients Android, iOS and Roku.  That would really be the perfect solution.

I have Kodi on my Fire TV as well (great stuff), but have yet to connect it to a tuner/server for live TV or DVR functions.  I've been waiting for my SageTV system to die first.  Fortunately, it and the HD200 I have continue to chug along.

Here I have no issues with live TV playback to the Kodi boxes via MythTV.   The Kodi MythTV plugin has been updated a few times and is better than every these days.  But using it less and less.  Scheduling comes from Schedules Direct ($25/year).  Been using these guys for years.  The scheduling signals I see on the live channels works OK but not great.

All in all though I am recording less with the MythTV box and streaming more a la carte stuff via the Web.  The MythTV commercial skip does work well.  Getting annoyed now too with the DirectTV recorder as it keeps injecting ads to the recorded stuff (becomes annoying after a bit).  Miss the days of the Tivo stuff.

pvrfan said:
Have you tried MythTV https://www.mythtv.org/?  Myth's recording rules are pretty flexible.

Of course you've got to be willing to run a Linux or Mac server.

Craig

IIRC, my issue with MythTV was lack of a small-form factor extender that wasn't a full HTPC... and by extender I mean, provide full functionality and control of the media server (playback of all content, setup recordings, scheduling, updates, etc.), while being a small-form factor that I place behind my wall-mounted LCD TVs. The STV extenders provide(d) that capability...

drvnbysound said:
IIRC, my issue with MythTV was lack of a small-form factor extender that wasn't a full HTPC... and by extender I mean, provide full functionality and control of the media server (playback of all content, setup recordings, scheduling, updates, etc.), while being a small-form factor that I place behind my wall-mounted LCD TVs. The STV extenders provide(d) that capability...

The Myth mailing list and forum have numerous suggestions for what you want.  Personally, I'm using Apple Minis--even a 7 year old Core2 Duo Mini has enough grunt to be a full-featured frontend.  Small, quiet, low-energy.  

You do know that all the scheduling of recordings and whatnot can be done via browser through MythWeb, right?  The upcoming version of Myth will incorporate a built-in replacement for MythWeb.

Craig

pvrfan said:
The Myth mailing list and forum have numerous suggestions for what you want.  Personally, I'm using Apple Minis--even a 7 year old Core2 Duo Mini has enough grunt to be a full-featured frontend.  Small, quiet, low-energy.  

You do know that all the scheduling of recordings and whatnot can be done via browser through MythWeb, right?  The upcoming version of Myth will incorporate a built-in replacement for MythWeb.

Craig

So you're able to perform all PVR/Media Server functions via the Mac Mini I assume?

I do know what the scheduling of recordings can be done via the browser; I don't have one at every TV and need that capability via the extender vs. having to utilize different user interfaces. If TV functionality isn't as easy as it is from Comcast or such my wife isn't going to do it; she doesn't want to use a keyboard and mouse to watch TV either.

drvnbysound said:
So you're able to perform all PVR/Media Server functions via the Mac Mini I assume?

Yes.  Note that you can run OS X or Linux on Mac hardware and the frontend works identically on either OS.

I do know what the scheduling of recordings can be done via the browser; I don't have one at every TV and need that capability via the extender vs. having to utilize different user interfaces. If TV functionality isn't as easy as it is from Comcast or such my wife isn't going to do it; she doesn't want to use a keyboard and mouse to watch TV either.

Every function in the Myth frontend can be accessed with a minimal remote; keyboard not required.  

But if you have a tablet or laptop handy, you can use it as well.  Say you're watching a recording with your wife and browsing CocoonTech and come across mention of a show that sounds interesting.  Rather than take over the TV, you can surf to MythWeb and set up the recording.  

Craig

pvrfan said:
Have you tried MythTV https://www.mythtv.org/?  Myth's recording rules are pretty flexible.

Of course you've got to be willing to run a Linux or Mac server.

Craig

It's been many years since I have, so my perspective is probably skewed.  But I also have many other things happening on the same box which require Windows.  So I haven't seriously considered MythTV.  I really am trying to slim down my setup, so don't want multiple boxes.  I am running multiple VMs on that same box, so I suppose I could spin up a Myth VM and give it a go.  But I also have years of history with Sage.  The Sage DB is well loaded :)

And lastly, switching to Myth at this point doesn't really gain me anything at this point.  My whole reason for trying to switch off of Sage to begin with is that I wanted a one box solution for Recorder TV and Online watching.  Seems that it can't be done well right now.  So back to 2 boxes for me.

Yup; here have used MythTV for a few years.  Someone just mention some paid for software on Homeseer.

I am impressed with the price and what it does.

DVBLink-TVSource

I utilize two HD Homerun boxes on the network and two cards in the box (one is a satellite card) with MythTV.

I do not really watch much TV.  Wife does record TV and only watches her recordings.

pvrfan said:
Yes.  Note that you can run OS X or Linux on Mac hardware and the frontend works identically on either OS.

Every function in the Myth frontend can be accessed with a minimal remote; keyboard not required.  

But if you have a tablet or laptop handy, you can use it as well.  Say you're watching a recording with your wife and browsing CocoonTech and come across mention of a show that sounds interesting.  Rather than take over the TV, you can surf to MythWeb and set up the recording.  

Craig

Thanks and good info regarding the frontend.

I rarely ever have a laptop or tablet handy when I'm on the couch watching TV; our TV time is usually dedicated to just that. Multi-tasking while I'm in my office at the PC - sure... but when I sit down to watch TV it's purposeful watching usually.

Back