Connecting M1XEP via Ethernet to WiFi Adapter

Piasa

Has anyone successfully connected the M1XEP to the Internet using the IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter Tri-language GWU627W6 or similar?  If so, any issues to overcome?

Most any WAP (Wireless Access Point) will support a "client" mode.

Normally a WAP is used to provide wireless devices a connection to a wire network.

In "client" mode a WAP is used to provide devices on a wired network a connection to a wireless network.

It sounds as if this IOGEAR device is intended to function by default in "client" mode (it may only have "client" mode) so it should, in theory, work just fine.

While I haven't done the exact combo you're describing, I do use these sorts of bridges on occasion.  I keep a netgear variety in my computer bag that is preconfigured to connect to my Verizon Jetpack so I can provide wired ethernet that's basically tethered to my Jetpack via wifi... and at a client site I've had a wired camera working this way for a good 2 years now.  

Often the functionality is obfuscated; the ones that are purpose-built to do this are generally referred to as "Wifi Gaming Adapter" or wifi bridge.  This Netgear is the one I currently carry (bought at BestBuy in a pinch while on a remote job in Hawaii - nobody knew what it was but I pulled the UPC on my phone and they tracked it down)...  This TP-Link is the one I've had running the camera for a while - it's been flawless and the price can't be beat.  There are also lots of Ubiquiti AirOS products that can easily do this.  

From a networking perspective once you connect they'll be fine.  However I'll add that the elk kinda just spits out info on its status - so while I'd expect it to be just fine, if you ever found that you were missing events or having trouble with certain data transfer operations (firmware updates, programming) I'd quickly grab a 100' (or longer if needed) cable to string across the house to see if the problems go away.  

You can also use Ethernet over power bridge. I ran my Elk that way for a number of years. I bought units from Netgear which supported encryption and operated at different frequencies than Insteon. I removed them only to make room in the box for other stuff.

Back