Smart door lock— Your choice?

Security technology has been really moving forward lately for both home and commercial use. A prime example of this is the smart door lock.  I want to buy a smart door lock for my new house,do you have some good suggestions? 
Thanks a lot !

What if a face recognition door lock,which offers different ways of unlocking the door,such as face recognition,RFID cards, pin lock,mechanical key. Is it of great security?

I have read many articles about the hacking of smartlocks, and there is no question, most have weaknesses in this was. But if you believe the person breaking into your house is going to do it by hacking your lock, it shows you don't know much about crime today.  Almost all other non-smartlocks have weaknesses as well.  So the fact is, no lock is going to stop someone from getting into your house if they want to. A lock is just one layer of security, and probably not even the strongest one.

Get a lock that is easy for you to use. If someone is going to break in your door, the lock doesn't matter much.

I don't disagree at all. There really isn't much of anything that is truly going to stop someone from breaking into a home.

As the saying goes, when a bear is chasing you... you don't have to out run the bear, you just have to out run your friend(s). So, there is no logical reason that I want to add more "technology", thus more vulnerability. There is another [recent] post on the forum, where a user provided a video about the ease of hacking RFID... doesn't make me want to add that to my front door. At some point, this "technically advanced" lock becomes the easiest target.

The OP looks like very suspicious poster that will likely turn to self-promoting SPAM.

The more technologies involved, the more vulnerable you'll likely be - because as soon as the next magic lock has an exploit discovered, someone will find a way to search/scan for that lock and go around seeing what all they can unlock - either by driving down the road or scanning the internet.

I've been looking at getting either an electronic deadbolt or a smartlock... but i cant find too much info on electronic strikes / deadbolts mostly seem to be used in the commercial sector. I want one that I can automate and hook up to decect status even with manual locking...

ano said:
I have read many articles about the hacking of smartlocks, and there is no question, most have weaknesses in this was. But if you believe the person breaking into your house is going to do it by hacking your lock, it shows you don't know much about crime today.  Almost all other non-smartlocks have weaknesses as well.  So the fact is, no lock is going to stop someone from getting into your house if they want to. A lock is just one layer of security, and probably not even the strongest one.

Get a lock that is easy for you to use. If someone is going to break in your door, the lock doesn't matter much.
"A lock is just one layer of security"
I totally agree with you this view, but we can not deny the necessary for door lock. The more technologies involved, the more convinient you'll likely be.

hardatk said:
I've been looking at getting either an electronic deadbolt or a smartlock... but i cant find too much info on electronic strikes / deadbolts mostly seem to be used in the commercial sector. I want one that I can automate and hook up to decect status even with manual locking...
hey,I have found some similar products before. Using an APP which is connected with your smart door lock,it can solve your problem! You can Google it !

drvnbysound said:
I don't disagree at all. There really isn't much of anything that is truly going to stop someone from breaking into a home.

As the saying goes, when a bear is chasing you... you don't have to out run the bear, you just have to out run your friend(s). So, there is no logical reason that I want to add more "technology", thus more vulnerability. There is another [recent] post on the forum, where a user provided a video about the ease of hacking RFID... doesn't make me want to add that to my front door. At some point, this "technically advanced" lock becomes the easiest target.
"There is another [recent] post on the forum, where a user provided a video about the ease of hacking RFID... "

Could you show me the post, I am curious about the ease of hacking RFID... 

Work2Play said:
The OP looks like very suspicious poster that will likely turn to self-promoting SPAM.

The more technologies involved, the more vulnerable you'll likely be - because as soon as the next magic lock has an exploit discovered, someone will find a way to search/scan for that lock and go around seeing what all they can unlock - either by driving down the road or scanning the internet.
The OP looks like very suspicious poster that will likely turn to self-promoting SPAM.”

So rude!Hey,man,I just want to hear you guys professional views.

hardatk said:

My Zwave deadbolt reports status; locked or unlocked. Now, I have to understand that the lock is a stand-alone piece of equipment that can be "fooled". What I mean is that when the deadbolt is extended the lock reports that it's "locked" (go figure :) ). The issue is that the lock knows nothing about the location of the door with the jamb; the door could be wide open with the bolt entended and it will report "locked". So, if I am checking status remotely, I not only check the status of the lock, but also status of the door. Additionally, some users have even installed sensors inside the jamb that detect the presense of the extended bolt.

Strikes [and magnetic locks] are their own separate solution and are certainly found more often in commercial installations. I haven't used any to-date, but do have a maglock that I'll be installing in my detatched workshop "soon". I put SOON in quotes, because the time I'm able to dedicate to my personal work is determined by how much work I've got lined up for others... so soon is relative :) At least I have all the parts already.

I'd like to add a few locks to my house that I can automate and check status on. (I often forget to lock a door somewhere). I also like the offerings with a keypad. I want to be able to issue and revoke codes, that's better than keys that say, my cleaning lady can just copy.

Since I may want to unlock remotely or automate, I want it to integrate with my automation setup. However, I do not want something like Nest that uses some cloud server as a middle man - I want to connect directly with the device (personal preference).

At this stage, that leaves a number of Z-Wave locks on the market. My block here is that I use a relatively niche automation program (Indigo) and while it supports Z-Wave, it does not support lock protocols (manufacturers charge too much for that access for a small company). So that means it has to hop through a third party bridge, which is not really what I want to do either.

I know my use case is specific, but if someone just made a wifi lock with a local API, I'd be set!

Once stupid design of all these smartlocks is that they all seem to include a conventional key as well.  This seems to be in place for when the batteries die, but these locks to seem to have their own problems. For example, the Kwikset Smartkey can be rather easily defeated even without the smart part. 

To Swancoat: If you can't find a lock which you can add and remove codes from, you could split the function up so you are using a keypad and some kind of electric strike or deadbolt. Then your system could decide if the code is valid or not, rather than the lock. If valid, then you would open the deadbolt.  That route will be more expensive, but it also gives you more control.

Back