GRI water sensors

BobS0327

I just experienced a major water leak from one of my refrigerators.  Fortunately, insurance company will cover most of the cost of repairing the damage.  But now I'm thinking about ways to prevent this problem in the future.  I found GRI water sensors on the net and thought I'd ask for input on my use of these devices for water damage prevention.

I'm going with the 12 volt version.  But there are two models and also an open loop and closed loop version of each model.  So, my question is, is anybody using these devices and if so, what model are they using and how do they have it interfaced to the OP2?

http://www.grisk.com/images/product_pdfs/liquid_detection/2600_12volt_dc_water_sensor.pdf

Thanx

I don't like the individual sensor approach and have been very happy with my FloLogic http://www.flologic.com/ system for 8 years now.  It has saved me 3 or 4 times from having a catastrophic leak.  Before that we had no leak detection and did have a occurance similar to yours.  I installed myself and have a whole set of OP2 programs which take care of my house.  I will share them with you if you elect to go with a Flologic. 

I can't imagine how many sensors I would have to cover all the leak possibilities in my 4700 sq ft house.  One of my leaks behind the frige was so fine that it wasn't even detected by the FL despite the setting of 1.5 oz per minute.

FL people have given excellent customer service particularly when we were hit by a lightening surge.

As an example of what FL can do see my program lines below.  I like to be informed when a leak is detected..........
45.    WHEN AWAY
    WHEN VACATION
            THEN Flow Logic set to Away ON
46.    EVERY HOUR
        AND IF OFF
            THEN INCREMENT Occupancy Flag
47.    WHEN Kitchen Motion NOT READY
    WHEN Family Rm Motion NOT READY
            THEN SET Occupancy Flag TO 0
48.    EVERY HOUR
        AND IF Occupancy Flag CURRENT VALUE IS GREATER THAN 13
            THEN Flow Logic set to Away ON
49.    WHEN Kitchen Motion NOT READY
        AND IF Flow Logic set to Away ON
        AND IF NOT ARMING VACATION
        AND IF NOT ARMING AWAY
            THEN SET Occupancy Flag TO 0
            THEN CLEAR FloLogic AWAY
            THEN Flow Logic set to Away OFF
            THEN SAY WATER SENSOR SET TO HOME
50.    WHEN Foyer Side Entry NOT READY
    WHEN Front Door NOT READY
        AND IF Occupancy Flag CURRENT VALUE IS GREATER THAN 14
        AND IF Flow Logic set to Away ON
            THEN SAY ENTER UP KITCHEN TO RESTORE WATER
            THEN SAY ENTER UP KITCHEN TO RESTORE WATER
51.    WHEN OFF
            THEN Flow Logic set to Away OFF
52.    WHEN FloLogic Leak NOT READY
            THEN SAY WATER LEAK DETECTED WATER VALVE CLOSED
            THEN SHOW FloLogic LEAK WITH BEEP
            THEN PHONE 864AND SAY WATER LEAK DETECTED WATER VALVE CLOSED
            THEN PHONE 93 AND SAY WATER LEAK DETECTED WATER VALVE CLOSED
53.    WHEN OFF
    WHEN Front Door NOT READY
    WHEN Foyer Side Entry NOT READY
        AND IF FloLogic Leak NOT READY
            THEN SHOW FloLogic LEAK WITH BEEP
            THEN SAY GO UNDER STAIRS TO WATER CONTROL
            THEN SAY GO UNDER STAIRS TO WATER CONTROL
            THEN SAY ENTER DISABLE BUTTON THEN HOME BUTTON
            THEN SAY ENTER DISABLE BUTTON THEN HOME BUTTON
54.    WHEN FloLogic Leak SECURE
            THEN CLEAR FloLogic LEAK
            THEN CLEAR FloLogic Reset1
            THEN CLEAR FloLogic Reset2
            THEN SAY WATER SENSOR SET TO HOME
55.    WHEN FloLogic AC Trb NOT READY
            THEN SHOW FloLogic POWER WITH BEEP
            THEN PHONE 863 AND SAY WATER SENSOR HAD AC POWER TROUBLE
            THEN PHONE 8643 AND SAY WATER SENSOR HAD AC POWER TROUBLE
56.    WHEN FloLogic AC Trb SECURE
            THEN CLEAR FloLogic POWER
57.    WHEN BYPASS H2O BUTTON
            THEN FL ByPass ON FOR 4 HOURS
58.    WHEN FL ByPass OFF
            THEN CLEAR FloLogic BYPASS
            THEN SAY WATER SENSOR NOT IN BYPASS MODE
59.    WHEN FL ByPass ON
            THEN SHOW FloLogic BYPASS WITH BEEP
            THEN SAY WATER SENSOR IN BYPASS MODE

The FloLogic sensor looks interesting, but is it reliable, and how can it tell bad water usage from good water usage?  Many things in a house use water so I don't really see how it can tell your reverse water filter usage from an overflowing toilet? 

WaterCop seems like it would be more reliable. Wireless water sensors are placed where water can leak, and when one detects water, it shuts off your house water.

http://www.watercop.com

FL measures flow amount and time of flow so it easily tells if the my humidifier is running or not.

You will forever be looking for water leak possibilities if you go the water cop approach.

Suggest you call FL and challenge them with your what if's as you'll get it straight.  My experience is very good and would do it again...........

Flologic looks interesting.  I have a lawn irrigation system that will be operational when I'm home and away.  The documentation indicates that it is able to work with lawn irrigation systems. Do you have a lawn irrigation with your installed Flologic?  If, so, are they any special conditions that have to be addressed for the irrigation system?

A nice additional feature would be to track water usage, i.e how many gallons of water are being used daily etc.  I didn't see a feature like this in the documentation.  So, I'm assuming it's not available.

Finally, I'd suggest that you asterisk out your phone number in the previously posted program.  I'm leaning toward the Flologic and will definitely use your program.  Thanx for posting it.

I use the GRI 2600 sensors

One under the major potential leakers - washing machine, fridge, dishwasher and water heater. 
Still need to put one behind each toilet.

I use the Watercop valve with battery backup and controlled via relays on my Omni Pro II.

The logic is simply stacked statements (monitoring all sensors simultaneously)

WHEN Washing Machine Flood NOT READY
WHEN Refrigerator Flood NOT READY
WHEN Dish Washer Flood NOT READY
WHEN Water Heater Flood NOT READY
    THEN Water Cop Close Relay ON FOR 5 SECONDS

There is also some logic to show, say and e-mail messages and log the results, and a loop routine to check that the valve is closed and keep trying to close it if it is not closed fully.

I can also reopen the valve, but I don't do that automatically.

chasers03 said:
FL measures flow amount and time of flow so it easily tells if the my humidifier is running or not.

You will forever be looking for water leak possibilities if you go the water cop approach.

Suggest you call FL and challenge them with your what if's as you'll get it straight.  My experience is very good and would do it again...........
So what types of problems has it detected, and has it ever had a false alarm?  So lets say the washer hose gets a split. How long does it have to leak before FL shuts it off?  Before i would spend that amount of money on something like this, I'd need a better explanation then "oh it just works."

Don't be afraid just call them to get your detailed inquiries.... I am not a paid salesmen just a long term satisfied customer trying to help..... have you been to the website?

I'm just not sure Flogic would have worked in my situation.  Waterline broke behind refrigerator and leaked thru floor to basement while I was home.  The *ONLY* reason I caught the leak so quickly was that it shorted out a basement PIR motion detector causing the OP2 to squawk "TRBL NOW".  I believe I caught the leak within 10 minutes of starting  since the short circuited basement motion detector is located very close to the location of the refrigerator.  In my case, 10 minutes of running water damaged the drywall ceiling, ruined the basement laminate floor and damaged about 30 square feet of hardwood flooring in the kitchen.  If I had the Flologic installed,and it did not shut off the water for 30 minutes, I believe there would have been substantially more water damage if the motion detector did not short circuit. IMHO, 30 minutes of uncontrolled running water can do substantial damage.

I can also envision times when I may need more than 30 minutes of running water. So, I'll probably need a higher default at home time limit.

Yeah, upon reading it more, it looks like hit-or-miss protection at best. Something has to leak for longer than the longest "normal" water use you have. If a hose breaks, I want the water to turn off quicker than the longest shower I take or the longest I use water. By that point, way too much damage has occured. WaterCop still seems like the best solution (or an equivelent system). Monitoring water usage may be a good backup, but I can add that functionality to a WaterCop setup lots cheaper than the FloLogic device.  Calling them won't matter to me. I don't need their sales pitch.

I use the 4-wire GRI sensors, but only have a few installed at this point.
The 4-wire version has an advantage over the 2-wire in that it will basically monitor itself, but consumes more power.

Here too utilize the 4-wire GRI sensors.

Water shutoff is KLD (Cocoontech group purchase).

Added additional DLG water meters / analog water pressure guages / Davey flow pump to the mix.

BobS0327 said:
I'll be pulling the trigger on a WaterCop shutoff system http://www.smarthome.com/dynaquip-controls-wclslf-3-4-watercop-leakstop-detection-and-automatic-shut-off-3-4-inch.html and the GRI 2600 water sensors.

I'm assuming this particular WaterCop model has the inputs required to be used with the Omni Pro II panel.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanx everyone for your input.
You should check with Watercop or Smarthome to be sure. Most of them do have input and output terminals that would work fine with the Omni Pro II, but I'm not sure on this model.  At worse you could connect one of the flood sensors to a relay board connected to Omni outputs, but you would possibly be missing the return path that tells the Omni if it has tripped or not. On the other hand, maybe this model does have that also.

Back