Running RP on Ubuntu machine with Wine

newalarm

So, we are now a Windows-less house and am running a few Ubuntu machines and Apples. I have not messed with the alarm in a while, but the XEP is giving internet trouble and I believe my ISP has changed our IP as we do not have a static address.

Since i forgot my router password, i had to reset it (Ouch). Unfortunately, I did sloppy job noting what I did to get it all to work, so I guess I will have to figure it all out AGAIN, including getting EK Pro to work.

Anyway, was wondering how Wine works on Ubuntu with the Elk RP software. I have never used Wine before and thought it might be good to ask around prior to diving in.

Alternatively, I could run it on Mac, but can find my virtual windows software we got with the machine.

Thanks.

Here running 32 / 64 bit Wine on my Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit laptop.  I have a few Wintel programs running today.   Relating to my OPII panel I do run HAI PC Access just fine.

I am also running Wintel SAPI which works.

Playing with Wine / Microsoft programs typically I keep adding little pieces to it until it works.  That said relating to Wintel console / SAPI stuff.  I started to document it on the Wine DB and lost track of the kitchen sink stuff.  Then I went back to updating the DB and missed some entries on the DB there and stopped playing for a bit with the Wine DB.  Well too it was more related to 64bit running of Wine.

I have had to throw the kitchen sink to the Wine stuff. (dot net and mono sometimes hodgepode)

Anyway, was wondering how Wine works on Ubuntu with the Elk RP software. I have never used Wine before and thought it might be good to ask around prior to diving in.

Try it; you cannot break your Linux machine; the start up logs tell you what you need or what is missing on the Wintel side of Wine.

You can also maybe test using single application x-windows thing remotely from your apple computer.

Apple console running ssh x windows to your Ubuntu machine to get a remote view of one application might work?

Worked well for me.  I play sometimes with multiple connections to Ubuntu via 3 LCD screens such that I can make a change and watch the change on the monitor via one computer.  Easy way to be able to test in vivo stuff.

XServer_Putty_Windows7

Half the time I play with the stuff; never pay attention to the names of the applications; more so its what I use them that matters to me. 

So I try to run elk, once i installed it. Gives me error message:

wine "C:\Program Files\ElkRP\ElkRP.exe"

err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\ElkRP\\ElkRP.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\ElkRP\\ElkRP.exe" failed, status c0000135

When i installed RP, it told me that "following files did not self-register or unregister"

Convertdb.dll
EZ8.dll
ElkIPv5.ocx
ElkSafe.dll
ElkWords.ocx
ErrorDlg.dll
M1.dll
M1G.dll
Modules not found

I hit ok to continue.

When I try to start, screen flashes a few times, or nothing happens.

MSVBVM60.DLL
  There is a Wine Tookit that will install Microsoft stuff.  Use wine whenever you want to install anything related to microsoft.

wine programs.exe

Have a quickie read here.  (BTW notice the reference there to MacOSX).  WIntricks is a script with a GUI interface that will install one at a time Microsoft libraries and such.

First get the first one installed above.  Well the plug n play is to install the dll in your c:\windows\system32 directory.  do a DIR there and you will seen only a few files.

You can google and typically download the DLL's.  The tricky part is that on a 64 bit machine Wine will install itself in 64 bit mode.  You really want to run it in 32 bit mode.

Make sure the above elk DLL files are in the '86 32 bit program files elk directory.

you can also register programs just like in windows via dos command line.

Put the Windows hat on and keep looking at the C:\ directory of stuff. It is stripped down a bit but the structure is identical to windows.

Run Wintricks first; install some stuff to get familiar with it.  Make sure your Elk stuff is in the \program files director and not the \program files(86) directory.

Be patient and read the link above and google wine whatever and you will see it  in the Wine DB.

Will the application run without an Elk M1?  I have an HAI OPII. 

Send me a link here to the Elk M1 software and I will give it a go on WIne here documenting my steps eh?

So after reading some of the lit, i looked up the version. I installed what came up in the Ubuntu App store (forget what they call it). It was Wine 1.4 that seems outdated.

I decided to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14 on my machine. I think it will be ok. got 4g of RAM dual processor. 14 comes with Wine built in. Did backup last night and will try to do upgrade this weekend, as time permits.

Downloaded and installed application on my 64bit Ubuntu 14.04 laptop.  I installed it in 32 bit and 64 bit Wine.  Program starts fine then get's one error which I will post here shortly.  Not sure what it needs yet to run (as the Wine Kitchen sink has been installed on my Laptop).  You can switch which environment is running by doing...

WINEPREFIX=~/prefix32 WINEARCH='win32' wine 'wineboot'

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 your_32bit_executable.exe

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH= your_64bit_executable.exe

I am going to write this up in a blog....starting from scratch with a combo 64/32 bit wine installation

1 - remove wine (everything)
2 - install win32 bit (you need win64 bit for some new stuff) - baby steps here first as all of the programs I run are 32 bit.
3 - add pieces needed to run wintel 32 bit applications...

3 - add pieces needed to run wintel 32 bit applications...[/quote]

Can you add little more detail? Is this specifically for running RP or are you talking for other apps?

Thanks for all your help.

I removed wine 32/64 bit from my laptop and started from scratch. 

I was using only a few MS applications and I have added RP to my list.

I used Wine a while back to get ElkRMS to work on my Mac.  I never tried with RP because it has a ton more requirements.

While Wine will probably be a fun adventure, if you're just trying to get RP working, then the free VirtualBox will probably save you a lot of headaches.

Back