Is hardwired lighting control still the way to go?

dima

Hi,

I'm doing a major house remodel and doing all new electrical. I'd really like some sort of automation system, at the very least lighting. Whole home audio and HVAC is interesting too, but lighting is my primary want.

I'm currently looking into Loxone, but the simplicity of Centralite Elegance XL is also attractive. Any feedback on either systems?

More generally though, is a centralized hardiwred lighting panel still the way to go if I'm wiring things from scratch? My main worry is longevity of the companies providing this stuff, especially Loxone. They seem pretty new to the game.

Thanks very much in advance!

Just make sure you have neutrals in lightswitch boxes as most electronics require it.

Most HA is not by hardwiring. Way too expensive and unnecessary.

Have you looked at UPB lighting? It uses the existing AC lines to control the lighting from a central controller.

Mike.

Welcome to the Coocoontech forum dima.

Here over the years (1978?) have used X-10, Insteon, Z-Wave, Zigbee and UPB.  I have settled on UPB most recently (although still playing) as they do powerline well and my preference today is to utilize what already exists throughout the home.

Here in the midwest I have conduit / metal boxes / metal covers for all of the electrical.  That said post build I did tweak /add more circuits to my electrical panel providing a bit more circuit granularity.

There are many choices today of automated lighting and simply it can be put in to little groups

1 - LV and HV wired automated switches (think they still exist today)
2 - pure powerline
3 - power line and wireless hybrid (Insteon)
4 - wireless

Not sure about your budget and whether you will be DIYing the management of your lighting or using a service contract relating to post installation of your lighting stuff. 

I don't remember ever reading a thread where someone with a hardwired system had any regrets or reservations about it.  I can't say the same for any of the non-hardwired systems.

Hardwire gives maximum reliability with maximum cost and least user configurability.

You need to balance those factors when choosing.

I've been doing lighting control for 35 years and have always gone the hardwired approach.

I am currently using Insteon and ISY for the controller.

I detest battery operated devices, except remote control devices, so everything is hardwired for 100% accurate control and reporting.

Gary

Desert_AIP said:
Hardwire gives maximum reliability with maximum cost and least user configurability.

You need to balance those factors when choosing.

The cost consideration should also take into account the cost of wiring. The home-run method can be cheaper than conventional. But it will only be justified in a mid-to-large install, 70+ controllable units was my break-even calculation when we did ours. You also get a benefit of cheap LV control keypads that look uniform around the house and can control everything else, not just lights. So if you also install automated shades, you'll save on not buying expensive shade switches. We have 102 controllable loads, and this will be considered extreme by most folks, but we love the fact that evrything "just works", can be easily changed or expanded and it's been working for almost 6 years.

Also, it is the most flexible and user configurable system I have seen, not sure why you think otherwise.

GaryFunk said:
I've been doing lighting control for 35 years and have always gone the hardwired approach. I am currently using Insteon and ISY for the controller. I detest battery operated devices, except remote control devices, so everything is hardwired for 100% accurate control and reporting. Gary
Insteon is not hardwired.

dima said:
Hi,

I'm doing a major house remodel and doing all new electrical. I'd really like some sort of automation system, at the very least lighting. Whole home audio and HVAC is interesting too, but lighting is my primary want.

I'm currently looking into Loxone, but the simplicity of Centralite Elegance XL is also attractive. Any feedback on either systems?

More generally though, is a centralized hardiwred lighting panel still the way to go if I'm wiring things from scratch? My main worry is longevity of the companies providing this stuff, especially Loxone. They seem pretty new to the game.

Thanks very much in advance!
Centralite has been in business for a while, they are a growing company supplying commercial products and also the new wave of IoT players like PeQ and smartThings. I do not see them disappearing any time soon. Our Elegance system has been installed almost 6 years ago, and it works great.

Desert_AIP said:
I wasn't aware of any limitations on configurablity.  What about it makes it the least user configurable?

NeverDie said:
I wasn't aware of any limitations on configurablity.  What about it makes it the least user configurable?
Usually needs an actual "installer" to make changes.
Not always though.

Frunple said:
Usually needs an actual "installer" to make changes.
Not always though.
It depends on the system. You can download a free config software for Elegance from the website, not even a login required.

NeverDie said:
I don't remember ever reading a thread where someone with a hardwired system had any regrets or reservations about it.  I can't say the same for any of the non-hardwired systems.
I put in UPB and have no regrets for doing it, just add a repeater and use repeater capable switches. Works perfectly. Hardwiring just isn't necessary anymore. Maybe at one time it was, but things change. There was a time when all networks were wired. In the last few years, Wi-Fi has gotten so reliable and fast, that really isn't needed either.

Back