Troubleshooting Advice

scantrel

Hello and hoping that someone might be able to give me some insight. Something stopped working, and to be honest I'm not sure if it's an HAI issue or Haiku, but I'm leaning towards HAI since PC Access (Customer Edition) isn't communicating fully either.

My Zigbee door locks and my HAI Omnistat II have stopped responding to the system. The local controls function normally, i.e. I can use the keypad on the thermostat to change settings, the programmed setpoints work properly and the door locks operate by keypad.

I first noticed a problem when I stopped seeing lock/unlock events in the Haiku event log. Then my thermostat stopped reporting it's status in Haiku and now just says "Comm Failure".  The door locks no longer respond in Haiku. I thought at first this might just be a Haiku issue, but I found that I could no longer send commands via PC Access to those devices either, and no logging is appearing in PC Access.

My next thought was my Zigbee Interface Module was having problems, but it reports current status OK, and updates status quickly if I manually change a setting (such as unlocking a door, etc). It also will send commands from the ZIM directly when using the interface buttons to navigate the menu.

So I'm at a bit of a loss and any other thoughts would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid calling my system integrator until I must, the system is out of warranty so any trip out will cost me hundreds. The other system details are as follows:

Controller: OmniPro II running v 3.15 of the firmware.
PC Access (Customer Edition) v 3.15
Omnistat II Thermostat
Kwikset Zigbee Door Locks Model  910TRL ZBC4 L03 SMT

You could try going back to 3.14  3.15 is pretty new and not really proven as of yet.  Is the red LED near the top of the OmniPro II board flashing? Its also a good idea to clear and erase all the data stored on the board, then download everything back into the board from PC Access. Sometimes things get messed up when upgrading firmware, so it helps sometimes to clear things out and reload it.

@scantrel

I was having similar issues right after upgrading to 3.15 this last weekend.  My apps would not respond consistently (or at all sometimes) and my zigbee thermostat also said "Comm Failure".

I was able to resolve my issue by pulling the power (including the battery) off the board for 5-10 minutes.

swamiller said:
@scantrel

I was having similar issues right after upgrading to 3.15 this last weekend.  My apps would not respond consistently (or at all sometimes) and my zigbee thermostat also said "Comm Failure".

I was able to resolve my issue by pulling the power (including the battery) off the board for 5-10 minutes.

I did try the power-reset idea first, since that's the easiest to do. It didn't change anything but was a good try.

I contacted HAI support, and they sent me firmware to update the Zigbee Interface Module, guess that will be my next attempt. 

So the power reset turned out to only work for about 24 hours before my apps became unresponsive (including PC Access)...back to 3.14a for me.

@Scantrel, what zigbee firmware did HAI send you and have you had any success yet?

Sorry for the lag in replying - we've been having some bad weather problems in Central Texas.

@swamiller - the files they sent are version 15.01 and I'm going to be getting a Mini-USB cable today (all I had at home were Micro-USB) so I can do the update. I also tried the advice with the power-out reset but that didn't help my issue.

I confess I'm skeptical about the firmware update but that was Leviton's advice so I'll try it. The ZIM has never had any problem controlling the devices directly, I just can't control them through Haiku any longer and I'm not seeing updates in PC Access for lock events. And moreover, the communication stopped prior to updating the controller firmware.

More info after the update...

scantrel said:
Sorry for the lag in replying - we've been having some bad weather problems in Central Texas.

@swamiller - the files they sent are version 15.01 and I'm going to be getting a Mini-USB cable today (all I had at home were Micro-USB) so I can do the update. I also tried the advice with the power-out reset but that didn't help my issue.

I confess I'm skeptical about the firmware update but that was Leviton's advice so I'll try it. The ZIM has never had any problem controlling the devices directly, I just can't control them through Haiku any longer and I'm not seeing updates in PC Access for lock events. And moreover, the communication stopped prior to updating the controller firmware.

More info after the update...
I will tell you that ZIM 15.01 has problems as well.  HAI is quick to send out their FW, they are just very slow to every test it first.

So ZIM 15.00 was even worse. The clock didn't work on that one. This one has problems getting the status of locks updated.  I do not as of yet have my ZIM connected to my HAI panel. I've moved and am still in the process of getting it hooked up, but with 15.01, the lock status displayed on the home screen is incorrect. If you click "Load" and select the lock it will be correct, but the display on the home screen isn't updated correctly. It seems to work otherwise though, although I agree with you, i don't think the ZIM firmware is your problem.

Something that dawned on me now that I've laid hands on a mini-USB cable and re-reading the instructions from HAI Support. If I unenroll all devices on my ZIM, will the consumer version of PC Access be sufficient to re-enroll my locks and thermostat? I ask because in my version of PC Access, I don't see any place to set up Access Control devices (the locks), I just see a place in the status area where I can send commands. Now I'm hesitant thinking I won't have the right software to get the devices reconnected to the controller. 

Back