System Reset OP2

sjht

Last night I got seven system resets in my eveng log (around 1:45 a.m.) in the morning. The previoius night I got a couple around the exact same time (within a few minutes). Any idea what is going on? Not on the latest firmware, but the one just previous. This is for an OP2. No issues noted, but not seen this or caught it in the log before. Thanks. SJ

In scanning for other threads, this seems to be network traffic related. Strange that it is happening at the exact same time. Maybe time to review my router logs. Also, a few folks indicated they added a router in front of the HAI system? Thanks for any feedback. SJ

When this happened to me I ended up sending the primary board in for repair/replacement.  I am sorry.

Personally when I requested to RMA mine relating to said issue I was told that there was no hardware fix.

Is your OPII running well now with no network issues?

Did HAI tell you what they did to the panel or did they replace the panel?

Was the OPII panel still under warranty?

Here since the installation of my modded microrouter I have not had any issues.

It's just started. Leviton gave me some suggestions primarily around resetting RAM, etc. How do you install a router to isolate the panel yet allow access from panels, etc? I rebooted my router which also caused the panel to reset. Is this normal? Thanks. SJ

How do you install a router to isolate the panel yet allow access from panels, etc?

Just open the standard OPII port (4369) on the router and point your devices to the IP configured on one port of two on the (micro)router.  Initially I tested this to work with whatever generic router I had sitting around.

You can power the microrouter right from the panel (converting 12 DC to 5DC).  You can also enable the wireless on the microrouter but it'll probably not work too well inside of the HAI can.

I rebooted my router which also caused the panel to reset. Is this normal?

no.

Look here where I write about modifying the TP-Link microrouter for use inside of the HAI OPII can.  It's tiny and doesn't really utilize much power if the AP pieces are off such that I am powering it from the panel. 

BTW one of the recent firmware upgrades did mention something about the network.  I never tested the fix as it was a PITA to have to deal with the issue such that I have left the microrouter in place. 

Aside from the networking issues, time would go way off and it would cause me issues on the serially connected stuff (Omnistat2, Omnitouch 5.7s, Russound, et al).  The time thing would ding my scheduled events.

Leviton gave me some suggestions primarily around resetting RAM, etc.

You can also wipe out everything in a "cold" sense (ROM/RAM) and reupload your saved stuff.  It is time consuming; baby steps here and make sure you backup your stuff via PCA before playing.

Thanks for the information. I did notice that my OmniTouch 7 panel seemed to be flaking out in trying to connect to the panel. Wonder if that has caused some type of issue. I had to power on/off the OT7 twice to get it to reconnect to the panel. No resets last night after I did this, but will continue to monitor. SJ

Yeah here my assumption was more related to the network port on the OPII panel rather than what I was connecting to the OPII panel.

An HAI open ticket and conversation with HAI CT person just stated that the older style network port on the OPII was just too promiscuous seeing everything on my network.

It used to start slowly ...(BTW a second OPII panel/2nd house with much less network devices on the network has never caused me any grief).

1 - time would be off initially...not just seconds rather it was minutes up to an hour or more in one or two days.
2 - serial devices specifically my Omnistat2 would get communications issues, then the Omnitouch 5.7's
3 - network port would then just disconnect to Omnitouch 5.7e's and sofware.

I never could tell what the source was other than guessing it was the network port

pete_c said:
An HAI open ticket and conversation with HAI CT person just stated that the older style network port on the OPII was just too promiscuous seeing everything on my network.

Is there any know revision # or cutoff date when the panels switched from the "older style network port"?

No - revisions are kind of vague relating only to the network TCP connection handling.

PC Access Version 3.14.1.759 (27/October/2014)

- Controller firmware 3.14a released:
  - Improved TCP connection handling.

- OmniTouch 7 firmware 1.7 released.
  - Improved TCP connection handling.
  - Added Pop-Up Camera support. * This does not work any more with the Omnitouch 5.7/5.7e's (maybe only with the Omnitouch 7)
  - Added Dealer Info support.
  - Fixed problem where E-Mail Notifier Board MAC address could be changed during a firmware update.

Personally my issues came before V3.14 of the firmware.  Initially the concern did occur once or twice over the span of about 2 years.  I did also increase the number of devices on the network. 

Historically for me the working solution was to remove the network cable from the NIC on the OPII board for a day or so then plug it back in.  Think I mentioned here a few years back.

Here too as others I did have issues (random panel resets) with the first firmware posted relating to the added email board.  I cleared my panel and reloaded my stuff and all was fine afterwards. 

The reset issue can be that stuff too.  I do not have an email board in my OPII.

In a recap a I see a couple of concerns over the last few years:

1 - NIC thing (disconnectivity, time sync off, serial com issues) - this never caused a reset of my panel; just a NIC disconnect.
2 - updated firmware for Email board - this caused random resets for me until I cleansed my board (cold / reuploaded my configuration).  Note that the resets also cause the network port to disconnect.

The updated firmware for the Omni Notifier email board was Controller firmware 3.13 release.

Looking at old threads and my posts here I did have that bouncy reset stuff happening between FW 3.12 going to FW 3.13 (which would also cause a network disconnect).

@SJHart - your bouncing issue may be related to #2 above?

I've had issues in the past with a board which I ended up replacing. However it seemed to be when my son as home from college running online gaming. Besides a new board I also changed the port from the default to something else in case there was a conflict. I reloaded my configuration today. It did happen again early this morning. Reset about 7 times in a row again. Strange that it is happening at around the same time around 1:40 a.m. I really think it is the network causing the issue. This board is less than 2 years old and has had no problems. SJ

Well then put a router between the OPII and the rest of the network or disconnect the network interface.

You can purchase any old cheapo / on sale router at your local big box store to test with.

Don't spend more than $20 on it .....googling Walmart has a TP-Link for $19.68.  Its not a microrouter but rather an AP / firewall router.  All router configurations these days are similiar.

Here I have two running applications right now (testing).

One OPII application is connected to the serial port on the OPII and the other is connected to the network port.

IE: so if my network port is disconnected I can still utilize the panel via the Omnitouch 5.7's, Omnistat2 et al.

I cannot use the Omnitouch 5.7e's or the networked OPII application.

Cameras are coming via IP or analog right now.

This would go back to the issue relating to the NIC (promiscuous interface) seeing everything on your network.

If I put a cheap router in front of the OP2, then block everything except the addresses of all the devices I want to access? I have OT7, iPads, iPhones, PCs, etc....

You really do not have to block anything on the firewall and can just put the IP of the OPII panel in a DMZ.

It is the piece of changing the OPII network connection from a layer 2 to a layer 3 (going thru the firewall) that fixes the issue (my guess).

Here I just left the IP addresses configured on all of the networked devices that have access to the panel to the IP address of the outside of the router which now is the same as the old IP of the OPII panel. 

Personally here originally tested this with an older Linksys router that I had siitting around. It worked fine. 

I just wanted to go with something smaller so with with a microrouter (low powered travel rotuer) with two network interfaces on it that would fit inside of my very busy OPII can. It is also powered by the OPII panel(found it on Amazon for around $20).  The power sucking pieces of the micro router are the radios in it; without them on it uses hardly any power at all.

PCA will access the IP and so will the rest of your devices as before except the IP is on the red interface of the router.

IE: my PCA / CCTV stuff is configured with the IP's of the cameras and I never changed that.  I did change the IP of the panel.  So that there are less changes on your network; change the IP of the panel and make the IP of the firewall the same as the panel used to be.

I also enabled GUI access out to manage or check on the router.  The out part is just your network and not the internet so it is safe to do.

I will post a drawing with text of the router configurations with granular verbiage.

Here I will utilize the color red as the outside of the firewall and the color blue as the inside of the firewall.

Current Configuration of OPII Panel 

Home Network (bunch of IPs) ===> OPII Panel (static IP)

Configuration of OPII Panel with firewall

Home Network ===> RED Interface of firewall (old OPII IP) ====> Firewall (open it up) ====> Blue Interface of firewall ===> OPII Panel with a new IP address

You can just up the number on the 3rd octet of the IP address of the HAI OPII panel if you want.

An example:

Old IP of OPII panel was 192.168.0.2
New IP of OPII panel would be 192.168.1.2 and new red interface IP (on router) would be 192.168.0.2

This way you can leave the rest of your network devices that talked to the OPII panel alone and not change them.

Configuring the firewall (don't touch your panel yet)

1 - plug it in to power and change the administration password
2 - connect one LAN (blue) side ethernet interface (wire) to a pc - follow instructions provided with firewall to access GUI
3 - Configure the WAN (red) with a static IP which is the same as your OPII panel has today. (here though put in the IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS address) - note that it is only going to your home network and not the internet.
4 - disable the wireless access (shut off the radios in it if it is a wireless access point combo router).
5 - change or leave the LAN (blue) addressing schema as it is (default) or make the subnet smaller as it will only have two IP's on it.
6 - write down an IP (on the blue side) (whatever you choose) that you will utilize for the OPII panel.
7 - define the IP on the blue side (for OPII panel) as a DMZ address (thus allowing all traffic to it).
8 - configure the firewall to allow web / GUI access on the Red side whether that is on port 80 or say port 8080.  You do not have to utilize https and you can just keep it at http.  Once configured you will never need to touch it
9 - connect the firewall red side to you home network.  Test out the GUI access to the firewall.  See how it works for you.
10 - don't change the panel IP configuration until you have tested out the firewall steps 1-9 above.
11 - if you lose access to the router plugged in to your PC then just reset it and start from the beginning; you will not break anything.
12 - note too that steps 1-11 just are preparation of the router at this time and nothing else yet.

Drawing will provide a better overview of the topology and configuration.  Please post the IP of your current OPII such that I can put a network addressing schema on the drawing. 

My current IP address for the OP2 is 192.168.0.100. Really appreciate your help and knowledge on this. SJ

Back