New Z-wave controller

JimMurphy

I have dabbled with Z-Wave switching/dimming several lamps, but was looking for a user-friendly controller that could manage a larger Z-wave network.  The MicasaVerde ones were cheap, but didn't seem to have a good user-interface.  The Fibaro Home Center is more powerful and has a great user-interface, but is expensive.  I was toying with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi2 combined with the Razberry Pi Z-Wave add-on as a Z-Wave controller and combine this with a tablet to control the Z-Wave system.  This, however, would have needed loads of programming using Python - a language that I haven't used yet.

I just came across this new start-up called Oomi and they have put together a very feature-rich controller!  It seems like it will do everything I was wanting to do with the Raspberry Pi and a whole lot more.  I'm not allowed to post links, but you can find them on indiegogo.

I have ordered the platinum package, but the drawback is I need to wait until October for the kit to be delivered.  Oomi have teamed up with Aeon Labs who are making their accessories, which seem to have very good form factors and feature sets.  The pre-production pricing is very competitive and Z-wave seems to supporting many new products now.  It is getting easier to integrate alarm systems and CCTV cameras with home automation into a single system that is relatively easy to install.

Deane Johnson said:
Here's a link to it.  It's impossible to tell from a flashy web site whether it serves a useful purpose or not.

http://oomihome.com/

This company has done some odd things. For instance on their Indiegogo launch, they self funded the first 300% of their funding goal in the first hour. That seems disingenuous to me.

Then on their campaign page, they spend more time talking about rebranded Aeon devices, than they do on their own software. They barely demonstrate the app at all. 

And they don't publicly state that they are a Chinese-owned company as far as I can tell. 

I agree, it's a rather suspicious looking presentation.  I'd certainly be leery of spending any money on their product until it's proven to be for real.  Even then, I doubt there would be much need for it.

Here I just built a HomeGenie using an RPi2.   The software is free and very popular these days. 

It is quick and nothing tricky dicky about it. 

It just works and you can download or purchase today and be running by tomorrow.

Parts and prices:

1 - RPi2 - $35.00 USD
2 - ZWave dot Me GPIO ZWave + board - $59.00 USD
3 - Case - $3.00 USD
4 - Power supply - $5.00 USD
5 - PiFace RTC GPIO Clock - $15.00 USD (my personal add)
================================================
Total Price for Hardware $117.00 USD

It has a very intuitive interface and comes with a mobile Windows / Android client.

You can also purchase the Homeseer Zee S2 for $199.95 USD

It includes a built in GPIO Z-Wave plus interface and the options to run 5 Homeseer plugins (IE: UPB, X10, Insteon).

The interface is intuitive and it comes with a free Apple / Android mobile application.

This includes the hardware and software.  Personally here have been a Homeseer user since 1998.

Both of the above run in Linux. 

Homeseer standard & pro / Homegenie both run in Wintel, iOS or LInux.

Note that I do not work for either company mentioned.  I like to play with this stuff.

Chris's Castle OS (mentioned above) Wintel automation software will let you dabble for free to test the waters of his stuff which features the use of the Microsoft Kinect.

ano said:
True, but as you know, they also own Aeon Labs, a California Z-wave manufacturer that has been around since 2006. http://aeotec.com/

AFAIK all smart home devices are made in China. That's a far cry from taking control of the private data in the home via a central controller, while passing yourself as an American company, IMHO.

Also, I don't believe they own 100% of Aeon Labs, but I'm not completely sure about that... But someone on Reddit did point out Oomi was Chinese owned, and Oomi itself responded but wouldn't address it directly, saying instead "we're a global company". 

Remember, that the US government bans Chinese telecom equipment from being installed here. There are risks, and with so many solid American choices to pick from, I'd play it safe... 

ChrisCicc said:
AFAIK all smart home devices are made in China. That's a far cry from taking control of the private data in the home via a central controller, while passing yourself as an American company, IMHO.

Also, I don't believe they own 100% of Aeon Labs, but I'm not completely sure about that... But someone on Reddit did point out Oomi was Chinese owned, and Oomi itself responded but wouldn't address it directly, saying instead "we're a global company". 

Remember, that the US government bans Chinese telecom equipment from being installed here. There are risks, and with so many solid American choices to pick from, I'd play it safe... 
It is true that Fantem, (OOmi) is a Chinese company.  And certainly Chinese companies have been proven spying on Americans.

But tell me this, Why is CastleOS, a system using Kinect sensors each containing cameras and microphones, located in every room of your house, nothing to worry about? I think between the NSA and the Chinese, I'd more take my chances with the Chinese.  :eek: 

ano said:
But tell me this, Why is CastleOS, a system using Kinect sensors each containing cameras and microphones, located in every room of your house, nothing to worry about? I think between the NSA and the Chinese, I'd more take my chances with the Chinese.  :eek:

Really simple: it's a closed loop. No cloud connection. No recording. No data logging. And the code is reviewable by anyone at any time :)

a reverse image search of his profile pic

You know, this has to be an American writing his post (or it was outright stolen from a legit forum post somewhere).  No way a foreigner has that grasp of English - appropriate punctuation including the emdash, and apostrophes in all contractions?  That's for realsies.  

Well well well. This company can't seem to stop doing shady things. I noticed this pic was also used on presumably false Chinese linked in profiles that came up in the search.

When someone shows up with a first post offering this type highly detailed description of a product, complete with "come-on" verbiage, then doesn't do any follow up conversation, it's almost always someone pushing a product they are connected with.

They apparently don't realize that they do their product more harm than good with this sort of activity.

Hmmmm, does Jim Murphy sound a trifle fake?  Do most new posters include an avatar in their first post?

Back