Android app

uscpsycho

Last I checked there weren't any worthwhile apps for HAI on Android. That was about a year ago. With Android having over 50% cellphone market share I can't imagine there still isn't an Android app as good is Haiku for iOS. I spent a few minutes searching and couldn't find anything new for Android.

I can't help but feel like something better for Android is out there but I am missing it. Isn't there anything better than Snaplink for Android? I have a Wink hub I've been playing with (don't laugh) and the reviews of Snaplink sound like it's about as reliable as Wink. That's to say not reliable at all. I know there is Superlink but that hasn't been updated in nearly two years.

After spending a lot of time researching automation systems I settled on HAI. But if there isn't a reliable and robust Android app, that's a deal breaker.

I have both Haiku/Space and Snaplink installed on iPhone, I had no issues with Snaplink, it is just not as flexible and feature reach as Haiku. Could it be your phone that is having issues, what version of Android do you have?

And to the best of my knowledge there are no better HAI android apps out there. Perhaps because it is so much more difficult to develop apps for Android than for the iOS.

picta said:
I have both Haiku/Space and Snaplink installed on iPhone, I had no issues with Snaplink, it is just not as flexible and feature reach as Haiku. Could it be your phone that is having issues, what version of Android do you have?

And to the best of my knowledge there are no better HAI android apps out there. Perhaps because it is so much more difficult to develop apps for Android than for the iOS.
I haven't used Snaplink yet. But from reading the Android reviews it is not good.

I don't know how much more difficult it is to develop for Android but there are way more apps out there for Android. And unlike the early days of smartphones, these days people are developing first for Android then for iPhone because Android's marketshare is so much larger.

I haven't installed an HAI system yet. Android reliability is extremely important to me and based on the Snaplink reviews posted to Google I'm inclined to consider a different system. 

picta said:
Then Elk may be a better choice of a system for you, Ekeypad is considered a solid app.
Thanks. I'll research Elk. 

If I had a dollar for every time I went back to the drawing board...

After spending a lot of time researching automation systems I settled on HAI. But if there isn't a reliable and robust Android app, that's a deal breaker.

Yup; its a big spend so you should really research it some more.  I cannot recall not your first post relating to your endeavor - its been a while now.

Found it after a quick search right here.

Here since 1998 have always had console connectivity via whatever cellular phone I was using.  I have recently gone to using Microsoft Mobile.  (historically started the remote automation access cellular phone thing in the late 1990's to current time with Palm, CE (mobile CE), Apple, Android and back to MS now.))

I did get my two Leviton HAI OPII panels after using Homeseer in the late 1990's and just made them work fine with Homeseer.

Today you can DIY your own interfaces using whatever cellular OS (Android, MS or iOS) with Homeseer or just use IFTTT if you want.

I am connecting today to my OPII panel serially and via the network for my Homeseer boxes.

Well too you can do this pairing up the Elk M1 panel and Homeseer.

You would though have to build your screens using Hometouch designer and you can make your screen as simple or as granular as you want.

Personally I am not really good at designing the touchscreens and always put too many buttons such that my wife prefers the Omnitouch screens over my stuff.

Just recently purchased a mini version of Homeseer Pro 3 (Zee-2).  It runs fine on the RPi2 and is very reasonably priced.   I am current connected to the OPII panels via serial software and testing Homeseer 3 with network software.  The HAI plugin (not finished) is fast and works fine for me.

iOS

attachment.php

attachment.php

screen-1.jpg
screen-2.jpg
screen-3.jpg

Leviton/HAI hardware is OK sometimes, but I would stay away from any software product they produce. I live with PC Access, but it basically looks like it was written for Windows 3.1 (and it probably was.)

Having said that HAIku and Space are the best mobile apps out there for any home automation control, but they only run on iOS.  They also work with technology like iBeacons that add even more. Because HAIku is so good, I've been able to not need CQC or Homeseer, which has simplified things for me.

Definitely explore everything before jumping in. Its not just the panel but mobile and more. Once you pick the HW you are stuck with it.  Also look at other HW like whole house audio, locks, blinds, and anything else you might want in the future and make sure they all work with the HW you are looking at. 

You may wanna give Elve a try. It's free and, with the latest HAI driver, it works incredibly!
You will have to design your own screens but it's easy enough.

Thanks guys.

This is a lot of good advice. Pete remembers the mental anguish I put myself through nearly a year ago when I started researching this. The remodel ran into a lot of delays so it's been a while (and I've forgotten a lot of what I learned then) but now it is imminent. I need to decide pronto.

I was originally debating between Control4 and RTI. Then I settled on RTI. Then I realized I can do most of what I want to do with just the HAI. I haven't researched Elk much but I assume what I can do with HAI I can also do with Elk?

@Pete I'm not too familiar with Homeseer and never heard of Hometouch. Are you saying that with Homeseer and Hometouch I can build my own Android interface for HAI/Elk? Did you create those mobile screens and could I do the same on Android? I am going to assume this will also require some programming. I'm not opposed to DIY programming but I feel like learning a new language will land somewhere in the middle of a giant to do list. I have so much on my plate with this remodel, I think what I'd prefer is to hire a pro to get everything initially set up and then tweak things to my liking. I can more easily decipher existing code to tweak it than write code from scratch in a language I have to learn. Problem is it's easy to find a RTI/C4/Crestron/Savant installer but not so easy to find someone who does Elk/HAI.

@Frunple Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into Elve too. Any idea how this compares to Pete's suggestion in terms of reliability, flexibility and ease of setting up? Those are some pretty nice screens he built even though his wife isn't a fan.

Whatever I use for mobile the important thing of course is reliability which seems to be where Snaplink completely fails.

I'm in the Los Angeles area, if anyone has a referrals for a pro that does HAI/Elk please send them my way.

@Pete I'm not too familiar with Homeseer and never heard of Hometouch. Are you saying that with Homeseer and Homeseer touch I can build my own Android interface for HAI/Elk?

Yes. 

Take your time. 

Infrastructure cabling is just that.  Subcontract somebody if you don't want to do it. 

Did you create those mobile screens and could I do the same on Android?

I did not.  I never liked my Android screens so I will not post them.  You could do anything you want using the Homeseer touchscreen designer application.

Personally the designer has a little bit of a MS Visio look to it.  I am not really good though at designing screens.  There are base templates that you can utilize though.

I am going to assume this will also require some programming. I'm not opposed to DIY programming but I feel like learning a new language will land somewhere in the middle of a giant to do list.

The touchscreen designer allows for embedded scripts running locally or on the mothership. 

You really don't need to do any scripts though with the touchscreen designer or Homeseer you can just drop in events or variables or script stuff running on the mothership.

I have so much on my plate with this remodel, I think what I'd prefer is to hire a pro to get everything initially set up and then tweak things to my liking.

I can more easily decipher existing code to tweak it than write code from scratch in a language I have to learn. 

There are a few automation pro's right here on Cocoontech.  Hire a pro if it is too much to handle.

Problem is it's easy to find a RTI/C4/Crestron/Savant installer but not so easy to find someone who does Elk/HAI.

Call up Leviton or Elk and ask them about a local installer. 

I guess you have not installed a base infrastructure. 

I would concentrate on that now if you have not and want to DIY your combo security automation panel or just pick an installation company to install automation for you. (well and security?). 

Many folks here on the forum have DIY'd their HAI / Elk panels.  It is not really difficult to do. 

That said if you are not comfortable then subcontract a company to do it all or maybe just a company to do the infrastructure stuff.

It is really up to you as it is your time and money.

I have suggested Homeseer because I have used it since the late 1990's.  I also own Main Lobby here. 

Today the Homeseer 3 does talk to Elk and HAI and runs on Linux, iOS or Windows.  The consoles / screens run in iOS or Android or Microsoft. 

There is more software out there.

Try what you have seen here for free and paid.   I mean you can get a feel for using software for automation this way.

Try it all.  This is only relating to your time and you will get a comfort level or not with whatever software you decide to utilize.

1 - Haiku / Space
2 - Snaplink (HAI)
3 - Ekeypad (Elk)
4 - CQC
5 - Elve
6 - CastleOS (not sure about Elk or HAI support at this time)
7 - Main Lobby

There is more software depending on your knowledge base of this stuff and how much time you want to invest in trying the software.

Most of all and best for you not to have a meltdown. 

If you think you will have a meltdown then its probably better for you to just hire a company to do it all for you. 

Pete, I have other questions, but a couple of real quick question about Homeseer. Are you saying that you can't design the same screens for Android that you can for iPad using this tool?

And is this a tool just for use on touchscreens used in the home (on the same network) or can you use them remotely on a phone?

If reliability is your main concern and you only like to use Android, then definitely research the Elk. While you may wish to add a software controller later to expand your automation scope, it's best to focus on the basics first, and the less hubs you have in between, the more reliable your system will be. I would not count on Homeseer control of HAI to be more reliable than Snaplink. It is a work in progress, and it adds a lot of moving parts. At least with Elk you can use myKeypad from day one without the need for an additional PC.

Alternatively, you can swap your android for an iPhone and get Space and HAI and you'll have the best HA system there is today ^_^

Are you saying that you can't design the same screens for Android that you can for iPad using this tool?

No. 

You can design similiar / same screens for Wintel, Android or iPads.  It is up to you. I have done this with Android and Wintel screens.

Most folks just design screens that resemble the OS that they are using.

And is this a tool just for use on touchscreens used in the home (on the same network) or can you use them remotely on a phone?

The Homeseer Touch designer software works for home or phone touchscreens. 

You look at your design in vivo while seeing it in the designer.

Download the package and give it a try.  Best to see for yourself.  You can see the default Android phone demo yourself.

uscpsycho said:
@Frunple Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into Elve too. Any idea how this compares to Pete's suggestion in terms of reliability, flexibility and ease of setting up? Those are some pretty nice screens he built even though his wife isn't a fan.
Elve is far more reliable with HAI than Homeseer is. No question there. But the HomeTouch designer is easier to use than Elve's, and that may make it better for you. There is no really "programming" needed to design screens on either platform,unless you wanna start using either one as the automation controller. Then you can get into some programming, which is another area Elve beats Homeseer. I was never a fan of the web interface of Homeseer. 
You can design any screen you want with either one. Your imagination and abilities are the only limits there.
The Elve Android app is not the greatest. It's basically the IOS app, made to work on Android. So you don't have use of the back button at all. All it does is take you out of the app instead of actually going "back". It also has some problems when switching from wifi to mobile and vice versa. If the app is open at the time of the switch, it gets all screwed up. I think it's because someone, a while back, wanted to use Elve on multiple subnets at the same time and John gave Elve that ability, so when the IP changes from wifi to mobile, the app can no longer find the server. That was one of the worst changes made to Elve, it should never need the "WellKnownHostname" of the server.
But the app works fine other than the IP change problem. And if you really get into using Elve, you'll be surprised at what can be done with it.
The HAIku/Space suggestion is irelevant, only IOS. Elve is the free, but if the cost isn't an issue, try , try , try. You'll find one that fits you.

Here one the requests when the Homeseer 3 HAI plugin was intially being written by Rob on Homeseer was to write to a MySQL database.

That said I have been looking and comparing the transaction times in the database to another network based application that also writes to a MySQL DB and the numbers look very good.

Concurrently in a side by side mode running Omnitouch Pro (wintel) on one tablet next to another tablet running HSTouch3 / HAI variables and HSTouch2 / HAI variables (with fixed HS2 HAI plugin).

The variable updates are in sync these days. (network but not serially)

Personally here have always been in the response times from the Homeseer touchscreens.  (in to time here).

Just a quickie comparison of the serial HS2 plugin and the network HS3 plugin relating to one zone timing.

Garage Door 1 close via serial / network HS2/HS3 Plugin
Serial - Garage Door 1         Today 6:13:11 AM
Network - Garage Door 1    Today 6:13:10 AM

Back