Setting up network (and phone) for small church.

sprdave

Our church (of about 100 now) has taken over a former public school building.  And looks Im tasked with setting up their network.  The building is about 20,000 sq. ft single story with block walls, getting cable internet/phone.  Sounds like they're interested/wanting wifi, and want to do a number of things like have access in the auditorium for programs (i.e. youtube), possibly member access (upon request), been asked about it in the classrooms, about getting audio or video to the nursery (of the service), etc.  Maybe some streaming/recording for people that can't make it, (sercurity) camera(s), automation/remote access (heating).

Im thinking about having some wired jacks in a few places like the office and auditorium, and some APs for wifi (not necessarily cover the whole building).  There is Cat5e all over.  Im looking at the (Ubiquiti) Unifi APs (standard ones) and maybe would get a three pack to cover the auditorium, the office area, and a third to cover some other rooms.  I just not sure what the (effective) range would be and how much block walls it will penetrate.

Im also not too sure about the routing.  Would an Edgerouter Lite (Ubiquiti) with a 24-port Edgeswitch or Unifi switch be a way?  What other better or less expensive ways are there?  Im gathering that we should have VLANs to separate the staff and any guests?  Obviously want decent firewall/security protection, possibly content filtering, and prioritize staff/program use.

And what options are there for the phone system?  Don't need alot, a couple in the offices, and nice to have some in the auditorium, nursery, classrooms.  Something that can dial internal extensions would be handy.  And ability to block long distance from certain (public) extensions if possible.  Is there some sort of small PBX that would suit?

re PBX:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_%28PBX%29  may be what you are looking for.

otherwise the set of requirements/wishlist you wrote is quite extensive.

"maby some streaming" for starters... what sort of uplink capability is available from your address? I would start working backwords from that.

see if you can get a loan of the AP you want to try,  move it from room to room & use a sniffer to see what sort of radio interference you get.

Other than rolling your own PBX, the next most cost effective these days that I'd recommend is a Grandstream - they come in a few different flavors and have most of the features of a larger PBX and aren't homegrown.

The Wifi coverage really depends - without testing there's no way we can guess.  I've seen block wall kill a signal completely when the AP was technically 5' away, but on the wrong side of the wall. 

Edgerouter will work fine - but for most functions you have to drop into the command line mode - it's not the easiest.  You might want a simple UTM router with some firewall capabilities.  As far as switches, Netgear just came out with a 24-port gigabit POE switch that's in the perfect price range for what it is. 

Ubiquiti Unifi is probably perfect for this application since it's easy to expand and it does a lot of the auto config for you.  Don't worry about the long-range models - your problem will come down to the block walls and needing more AP's set to lower power - overdriving the power will actually cause way more problems.

I'll check into Grandstream, looks interesting.  Can you block (or allow) long distance calling from certain extensions with these?

The current cable internet is 30down/4up.  Possibly go to 40/10 as price isn't much different.

I don't know if they would get into internet streaming, probably record and upload.  Depends on difficulty.  Maybe stream locally to the nursery etc might make more sense then running a separate system? and put the effort into network infrastructure instead.

They'll want some access points so I figure we may as well buy some and see how much they cover, then get more to cover where wanted.

Re router: I would want one with Vlan capability right? recommendations?

The Netgear switch is (slightly) more expensive than Edgeswitch, any advantages?  I was thinking Ubiquiti would be "matching" and have the POE for the APs and possibly cameras, etc (if they're Ubiquiti).  There's also the Cisco SF300 (if okay without Gigabit) or SG300 (still cheaper if 20 ports is sufficient)?

Work2Play said:
Other than rolling your own PBX, the next most cost effective these days that I'd recommend is a Grandstream - they come in a few different flavors and have most of the features of a larger PBX and aren't homegrown.

The Wifi coverage really depends - without testing there's no way we can guess.  I've seen block wall kill a signal completely when the AP was technically 5' away, but on the wrong side of the wall. 

Edgerouter will work fine - but for most functions you have to drop into the command line mode - it's not the easiest.  You might want a simple UTM router with some firewall capabilities.  As far as switches, Netgear just came out with a 24-port gigabit POE switch that's in the perfect price range for what it is. 

Ubiquiti Unifi is probably perfect for this application since it's easy to expand and it does a lot of the auto config for you.  Don't worry about the long-range models - your problem will come down to the block walls and needing more AP's set to lower power - overdriving the power will actually cause way more problems.

Trendnet access points were mentioned to me.  Something like the TEW-653AP http://amzn.com/B0035PS55O would be similar in price to Unifi.  How would they compare?  The specs seem similar at first look.  And maybe a Trendnet web smart POE switch would be sufficient (if they even need a smart switch).

Back