IP control of a Samsung TV

Desert_AIP

Anyone now where I might find IP commands for a Samsung Smart TV?

It has an app and I can control it from my iPad/iPod Touch and it's well integrated with the web - Youtube link to iPad, etc.
So I know it accepts commands.

I'd like to send HTML commands to it over my internal LAN.

Such as switching to a specific input when a vehicle enters the driveway to display my IP camera, or muting when the phone rings.
I can view the camera manually so I just need to know the commands I need to send to the TV.

I'm probably going to have to tinker with it.
I'm thinking of a Raspberry pi interfaced with my Omni Pro

Thanks for the link

Not being able to turn mine on via IP is a dealbreaker for me, unfortunately.  I really wish more manufacturers would keep the network port active in standby.

If you have a Raspberry Pi, you can command a TV over the Pi's HDMI port with CEC.

XBMC can do this (although normally it works in the opppsite direction - Using the TV's remote to control XBMC), but it can also turn the TV on and off.

Do you know if the ports are limited?  Command only through port 1 or the ARC port (port 2)?
All HDMI ports are populated, but I could swap the Raspberry Pi in to port 4

I don't know why it wouldn't be on all ports. I have a Pannasonic TV with 4 HDMI ports, with the Pi (with XBMC) on port 4 and a Blu-ray player on port 2 which both use CEC to receive commands from the TV's remote. The TV will turn on and tune to the appropriate HDMI port when either of them is turned on for these two devices. The Pi also turns the TV off instead of a screensaver, if it is the active source.

As for automation, I'm not sure if anyone has written code specifically to turn a TV on remotely, but libCEC is open source and XBMC will turn the TV on if it's off and XBMC receives a remote command (e.g. if I open XBMC remote on Android and press a left/right button).

Thanks, that makes sense. 
You're right, the Blu Ray player, etc. turns on the TV and switches to the correct input.

Essentially I want the driveway sensor to switch over to my IP camera automatically.
I think it should be straight forward but I'm still at my infancy of understanding and programming the Pi.

If you have a way to command the TV once it's on, you could use a player program (like XBMC) on the Pi and wake it up (by e.g. sending a menu command via it's web interface). It would then wakeup the TV for you, and you can command the TV via IP.

HDMI CEC is designed for devices to set the path of switches between themself and the TV to their input, although you could spoof an Active Source message to force the TV to switch to a different HDMI port. But there's no way to command a non-HDMI port at all.

Edit: I didn't want to double post so I added more to this one.

I installed libCEC on a raspberry pi (I think this is all of the packages, I could be wrong):

sudo apt-get install libcec2 libcec-dev cec-utils

Then I turned the TV off (I was waching TV on another HDMI input)

echo 'standby 0' | cec-client -s

Then back on again

echo 'on 0' | cec-client -s

The input that was previously active was active again (which is not the input the Pi is on), but for some reason CEC didn't work for it (I couldn't control it with the TV's remote). I turned the TV off then on with the remote and it worked again.

multisystem - I think the OP has a smart Samsung tv already; why else would the question be posted?

given that do you have useful advice on how to use IP to control the Samsung TV you are pitching?

<sigh> I just picked up a 24" samsung for use with a treadmill.  Rather disappointing to discover the lack of proper IP control.  Had I figured that out ahead of time I probably wouldn't have gotten it.  That and it doesn't have a single power button, but uses a d-pad-like joystick on the back.  I'll try waking it up from across the room via IR or the Xbox's Kinect emitter.

I bought a Samsung LCD back in 2008... I spent months searching many forums for information about controlling that (and other Samsung TVs). It was due to the lack of control and associated information, that I've since converted to LG. I bought (2) LG models within 24 months of that 2008 purchase, and replaced the one referenced earlier this year with an LG. All LG TV's I've seen since 2008 have a serial port - they used to provide a DB9 connector, now it's via a 3.5mm port. The protocol is open and published - it used to be included in the back of the user manuals. There is also a dedicated site with LOTS of information about it here: http://www.lgrs232.com/

Back