Haiku Android control

uscpsycho

I'm not going to ask for and Android version of the software for the 100th time. It's clear that is never going to happen (Nullriver's loss).

What I want to know is how well the Web interfaces you can create with Haiku Helper will work for controlling the system with Android devices. I assume this can be done but is it reliable? Any potential issues I should know about this before going in this direction?

I have no i-devices and probably never will. I'd be relying on this for everything. Anyone out there doing this and happy with it?

It is very reliable and will work just fine. You can create pretty much any interface you can think of too, but creating custom interfaces does require familiarity with common web technologies (JavaScript/HTML/CSS).

lupinglade said:
It is very reliable and will work just fine. You can create pretty much any interface you can think of too, but creating custom interfaces does require familiarity with common web technologies (JavaScript/HTML/CSS).
Does Haiku Helper have an interface builder tool or do you create the interfaces using a traditional HTML Web page designer?

What about different screen sizes? Would you have create different versions for tablet and phone?

Does the Mac running Haiku Helper then act as a Web server? Or do you save the HTML files to the device and load in a browser from there?

uscpsycho said:
Does Haiku Helper have an interface builder tool or do you create the interfaces using a traditional HTML Web page designer?
Generally all you need is a text editor or similar tool.

What about different screen sizes? Would you have create different versions for tablet and phone?
That depends on your design, HaikuHelper doesn't impose a limitation either way.

Does the Mac running Haiku Helper then act as a Web server? Or do you save the HTML files to the device and load in a browser from there?
Yes, HaikuHelper acts as a web server.

lupinglade said:
Generally all you need is a text editor or similar tool.

So there is no designer or widgets provided? You literally have to build the entire thing from scratch? That's going to be a lot of work if you want a dynamic interface with sliders, graphics that reflect the state of dimmers, etc. 

There is a default interface provided that you can customize with just some custom CSS, but the amount of customizability is more limited that way. If you want something totally custom, then yes, you have to build it. Its mostly just design work, getting the UI to integrate into a design is not difficult at all.

Hello... I've had an HAI / Leviton system at a cabin in another state for about 9 years. I sued to be able to control my system remotely ONLY by PC using Snaplink.  Since then, I've gotten an Ipad on which I use Haiku successfully. I also have an Android  (galaxy 5) that I'm trying to find some way to use for control as well.  I purchased a Leviton app, but I can't get it to work.  I looked (unsuccessfully) for Haiku for Android, and ended up finding this conversation.

I saw the claim that Haiku Helper will work fine for an Android, but the "build" and "text editor" talk scared me. I'm no programmer.  I'm just a guy who wants some kind of S/W for my phone that I can use to connect with my system for light and temp control. (I use a Speco app for my cameras)

So.... Is Haiku Helper my only alternative? If so, is it as simple as putting in my IP address and other required info?

Thanks in advance!

LV Hawkeye

Crap. I proofread (poorly) before I posted that last.  I USED to be able to control my system.....
I didn't SUE anybody.  <shaking head>

LV Hawkeye

You can use the default (provided) HaikuHelper interface from Android via Chrome just fine. You will just need to connect via the IP/port (which will need to be forwarded on the router).

Back