3g/4g router

pittom

Is anyone using 3g/4g router?

1 what brand and how do you like it (pros/cons)

2 what cell phone provider are you using

3 how much data is used(I know it all depends)

netzero has a 200MB plan that is free, only need to buy the wireless router.  If only used for sending alert, that is a great plan, if your location is covered.
Freedom pop is also claiming to provide free internet wirelessly. But it is not very obvious how that works from its web site.

Freedom pop requires to use 5MB per month, and not exceed 500MB, otherwise, it will charge something.
Both can work well for sending alert email or WEBSET, even when wired internet cut for any reason, the alert email can still go out.

I am currently utilizing a TP-Link TL-WR710N updated with most current version of OpenWRT.

Concurrent with said endeavor have purchased and played with larger AP combo cellular modems.

Some of the larger combo/AP/modem devices still are in their boxes as they were just too large for me.

Favorite larger boxes are the Ericsson modems (well they have now quit doing this) and NexusIsr.

They all work but are much larger than the TP-Link. 

Favorite one has multiple means of transport plus dual celluar connections and GPS and is portable and utilized for emergency stuff.  (you can triangulate it's positioning using telco and GPS).

My TP-Link has 8 MB of flash memory and 32 MB of RAM memory. 

I wanted two NICs such is the reason that I purchased this model.

It works fine with commonly used 3G/4G USB modems. (the device talks wired via 2 NICs, wireless (off right now) and serially via USB ports on it.

The device though clocks at 400Mhz and doesn't really have that much play space in it. 

I have kept it updated and it's been working fine powered from my OmniPro II panel.

It is connected via the OmniPro II NIC and one serial port (for play) these days.

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-04-08 12:11:09 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 CHAOS CALMER (Bleeding Edge, r45306)
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
ICS-TPLink-MR:~#

I have purchased a daughter board for it but yet have not connected it.  The daughter board adds more USB ports and an easy way to get to the GPIO stuff.  I was looking to install an RTC battery clock on it.  I want to fit everything though in as little space as possible as today the device is sitting inside of my OmniPro II can (and that is full of stuff today).

The direction here with the board is to make it a miniature combo utility device for the OmniPro II panel.  I can do stuff with the serial port connection or the network connection.  It does email / text just fine.  I have been able to build basic status LuCi pages with it which is a good thing. 

Other folks have added an RPi2 / Arduino mix for automation using these microrouters.

TP-Link daughter board.jpg

Pete,

Did the amazon sold one has 8MB flash and 32MB ram?  If that Open WRT firmware having stunnel enabled, it could allow WC8 sending email through gmail server.

It is kind of weird here because the one I got is labeled as a gen 1.0 NA with 8/32 Mb but the chipset is different that what is on the OpenWRT wiki.  I took pictures wanted to post them on the wiki but couldn't.

At 8 Mb play space you are still very tight.  You can though replace that with a 16/32 Mb flash chip with a little bit of this and  that.  You can expand the RW stuff using a USB stick. 

I have STunnel installed on the TP-Link.  I have used STunnel in general here for many years.

I cannot break it whatever I do to it.

Just tried to install Alpine.  It is too fat right now for my stuff here.

Alpine (Alternatively Licenced Program for Internet News and Email) is a free software email client developed at the University of Washington. It is suitable for both the inexperienced email user as well as for the most demanding power user. This package is built with OpenSSL support.

Installing alpine (2.20-2) to root...

Collected errors:
* verify_pkg_installable: Only have 1032kb available on filesystem /overlay, pkg alpine needs 1514
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package alpine.

Already installed was msmtp.  Easy stuff.

Configuration:

account default

host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
auth on
user [email protected]
password password

auto_from off
from [email protected]

tls on
tls_starttls on
tls_certcheck off

logfile
syslog LOG_MAIL

one liner:

root@OpenWrt:~# echo 'Hello, World!' | sendmail [email protected]

Scripted:

#!/bin/sh

EMAIL='To: [email protected]
Subject: EMERGENCY BROADCASTING SYSTEM

This is a test of the emergency broadcasting system.
Had there have been an actual emergency, you would have heard this message
followed by a long beep.'

echo "$EMAIL" | sendmail -t

With stunnel sending email through gmail server could be configured using:
Code:
[SMTP (Gmail) Outgoing]
 # Using port 25 so outcoming mail 
 accept = 192.168.1.15:25
 connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

I do that today with my old Homeseer 2 boxes.  It has been many years ago that I had set this up.

I am using it today for my testing stuff and do not really pay attention to where it sits running.

You have me looking now at the date of the configuration file and last edit of the file was 2009.

Does the CAI board have an RTC clock built in today? 

I mean I had one many years ago and sold it after about a year or two of playing with it.

My beef with the original RPi / RPi2 was that it didn't have a clock.  Time is a hobby here.

I have three now and have purchased the PiFace shim RTC clocks for them. 

One RPi is running with an RTC clock and GPIO card and automation software.

Installing 1-wire stuff to my new RPi2 running Cumulus with connectivity to my Davis Weather console(s)

The micro router to HAI OP2 panel wants are still related to installing an RTC clock via GPIO inside the TP-Link device.

We found there is an I2C real time clock module on the market really cheap. We then enabled using I2C port to talk to this realtime clock module, so that it can sync up with this real time clock module, for both WC8 and WC32.  It is like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261043197718

Both WC8 and WC32 has I2C support and SPI support, we have published code to talk to this chip.

Very nice.

Relating to the PiFace shim there are only a couple of steps and a validate of the chit chat on the GPIO.

The smaller the better. 

The PiFace shim is kind of big.  Most of the tiny RTCs now are the size of the battery and the GPIO pins are easy to get to.  Thing too with the TP-Link Microrouter daughter expansion board with the GPIO pins is that it is stacked over the main motherboard of the TP-Link.  The designer of the board built a new case for the microrouter combo using a 3D printer and does provide a template for you to DIY it.

Well too there is a script that does it all for you. 

Personally really like the script stuff but always do it long hand so I can get a bit more granular with it. (personal preference).

Basically it is:

1 - enabling i2c module
2 - seeing the i2c device using i2c tools
3 - then the actual view

Here is mine on the RPi2 weather station. (no; its the one on the automation mini box with the stacked GPIO card over the RTC GPIO shim)

ICS-RPi2-Zee:~# i2cdetect 1
WARNING! This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
I will probe file /dev/i2c-1.
I will probe address range 0x03-0x77. - IE: address below is 6F
Continue? [Y/n] y
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         
ICS-RPi2-Zee:~#

ICS-RPi2-Zee:~# hwclock
Thu 25 Jun 2015 11:14:53 AM CDT  -0.679427 seconds

You can test it by shutting down your device and unplugging the power to it.

PiFace seems just a LCD display and two relays.
WC8 and WC32 supports I2C LCD module, so that from within PLC logic, it can display on the display like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400687847759

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171727383268

WC32 can also talk directly to our USB based LCD module using special PLC commands.

Thank you CAI_support.

For whatever reason yesterday replied to your post and not finished closed my browser and lost what I wrote.

I am curious why you do not link your vendor site to your signature?

Somehow we could not even post URL link on this forum directly,  I can only post quoted URL, which can not be clicked with referral to this forum.

I noticed your enthusiasm for automation from way back, when X10 started, you are one of those first working on it.

Back