Whole house audio- another approach

mdesmarais

Due to losing my work on my Housebot jukebox script, I had to go back to square one. I started to modify the script and devices again, but balked at the (repeated
icon_wink.gif
) work. Seemed like there must be a better solution these days... What I had in place was

- Speakers in several zones (with more waiting to be installed)
- Amps in a central location (in my server rack)
- Housebot PC in the same rack.

Biggest new factor was that we all have android phones, and tend to listen to our media through there, albeit with different programs (Doggcatcher, Google Music, Youtube, etc). Another desired feature was to allow any source to be streamed to multiple outputs.

What I ended up doing was not quite as tightly integrated as doing it all in Housebot, but seems to be working well for us, with one caveat that I will mention later.

I bought three Chromecasts, and three HDMI to VGA converters. The converters have 3.5mm audio jacks. By adding some load resistors to the VGA converters, the Chromecasts are fooled into thinking there is a display, and they turn on.

I bought an Extron A/V matrix switch (dirt cheap these days since everyone wants HDMI) and plugged my CC with converters into the inputs. Outputs go to individual zones. HB text to speech output will go to another input channel. The switch is fully controlled from a serial port which allows configs to be made on the fly-

file.php

One simply selects the desired input, then sets up the output(s), and hits Set Connections to load the matrix.

Then just CC from whatever app is desired. Remote stays with you, stuff you are listening to keeps its place (like podcasts)... we did push all our local music up to Google play, although it turns out there are probably other ways to do that.

The one caveat- the Extron is supposed to have volume controls, but mine does not seem to have that feature (or maybe it is locked somehow?). Doggcatcher in particular does not do a good job of keeping the same volume, and can be a bit loud in the kitchen zone especially. There is also a minor control caveat in that we can no longer control other peoples zones from a central location, although I can always cheat and steal their outputs.
icon_wink.gif

Markd

That is a pretty nice setup, and might work for me also.  What type amps are you using and do they run all the time?  Also, just wondering, Extron A/V matrix switch have a switch input to switch outputs via a switch contact?  i would like my Omni Pro II to speak through all speakers, but I don't really want to use up a serial port to do that.  A simple contact closure that the sound board provides would be easier.

Hi ano-

I built my amps several years ago- simple design based on an IC for car stereos. They run off 12v, which I do leave on all the time- not very power efficient (I need to measure my rack!). Previously I had played around with switching the 12v off if nobody was listening... would have to make it manual now, unless I did some kind of level sensing.

I don't think there is a way to make the matrix do what you want, but I'm no expert on them... you can use the front panel to make changes, or you can use the serial port. You can have presets defined, so it would be easy to get to a given state, but you need to trigger via serial or front panel. Newer units have ethernet, but the costs go up, or you could get an ethernet to serial adapter. (not sure if that helps anyways)

Markd

Back