Hey DEL

mikefamig

Hey DEL you said that you own an old car, do you go to any cruise-ins or shows? It's 4th of July weekend and I don't have a clue whats going on for old cars this weekend but I do love a convertible ride.It'd be a good excuse to meet in real life.

Mike.

1970 Lemans, 69K miles "GTO-esque" and 2nd owner, I've had for almost 25 years, 4:10, ladder bars and springs out back with biggest I could stuff without tubbing, transbrake TH-400, manual valvebody, manual brakes (motor makes zero vacuum), 350 chevy, .030 over, splayed 4 bolt, 10.5:1, roller top end, 66cc heads, 11 quart pan, 1 7/8 primary hooker super comps to dual 3" all the way back. Hilborn injection, 2 7/16 primary stacks.....2' from deck to top of air cleaners. Mallory ignition with MSD 6A with 2 stage rev limiter (fun on street).

Put it this way, the mechanical fuel pump runs -12 AN (3/4") main feed lines with -8 and -6 returns. Barely idles at about 2K, pump is running 2.2 GPM at 1800 RPM (linear increase based on speed and bypass pill), or so the specs from Hilborn. Not exactly a good commuter car, but able to get ice cream and return home before it melts.

About 800 HP on pump gas, all motor.

On call starting tonight and usually when there's a holiday that falls during the "normal" work week, it's almost guaranteed that I'm going to be working in some fashion.

That sounds like a blast to drive but I got old and gave up all that noise in exchange for cruising a while ago. I used to 1/4 mile drag race up at Lebanon Valley Drag strip but mostly on a bike. My fastest run was in the low 12's at a little over 100 mph which was considered fast for a street machine back in the 1970's. One of my brothers had a Chevelle back then which would lift one front wheel off the ground and I'll never forget driving that car. We thought that something was wrong with the car because we heard a big clunk when we'd pull a hole shot and it turned out to be the front shock absorber topping out when the wheel left the ground! I think that one ran in the low 13's or high 12's.

I had the 327 engine in my old Camaro rebuilt just a couple of years ago and had to decide if I wanted the earth to shake when I drove by or not and I decided against it. I used a set of heads that had been reworked for a race engine and put a very streetable hydraulic Crane cam in it and it dyno'd at a respectable 300 hp. No race car for sure but it's fun to drive and the power brakes work. The heads were planed for a little more compression, have a 6 angle grind and some porting so a little more cam, better intake and headers would really wake it up if I want that later on down the road. I don't see me doing that though, I just like to put the top down and cruise now.

Mike.

Mike.

DELInstallations said:
pump is running 2.2 GPM at 1800 RPM (linear increase based on speed and bypass pill), or so the specs from Hilborn. Not exactly a good commuter car, but able to get ice cream and return home before it melts.

Are you kidding? Did I read that right? 2.2 gallons of fuel per minute? You must have to tow a trailer carrying a fuel tank behind it, doesn't that slow you down?

Numbers are correct as are the size of the fuel lines. Mechanical injection is a wonderful item. Designed for WOT operation and the response is second to none.

It's a closed loop system so whatever the injector doesn't use, controlled via a pill (akin to a jet in a carb) is returned back to the cell via one bypass hose. The second bypass hose is for the barrel valve to bypass back to the cell when you remove your foot from the throttle. Actually, barring the mechanical functionality, it's a very efficient system and good for about 25% more HP than a carb setup.

I probably would do an EFI conversion of the old school manifold if I did it all over again, but this was about 20 years in the making as it is....computers and laptops were expensive then and the only item that was available was the Holley EFI via injectors into a throttle body or Edelbrock EFI. As it was, I found a vintage conversion kit from Hurst to get the Chevy into the Poncho (albeit it is possible using GM parts).

It lights up the tires quite nicely. Never put slicks on it, but would assume it'd pick the front end up on the weight transfer, it launches really hard.

I'd love to get a new Camaro SS and be able to have power and comfort and cruise around, but a little tough in the economy of this state.

Of course, I get the looks because not many people have seen Hilborn, let alone on the street and the idle sound is pretty evil.

Very nice guys!!

Curious Del how often you drive your 1970 GTO'd Pontiac LeMans?

Old neighbor with his '67 Firebird used to do a Saturday night cruising thing here locally in the midwest.  The town next door (to the old house) configured up an old A & W drive up with a 60's style where everybody would meet on Saturday night.

I joined a car club here locally where we do a fall or spring over the weekend tour in our state or local states. 

A few years back there was a sort of "private" gumball rally here in the midwest that went from Chicago to Minnesota.  It was a race with a prize and it didn't matter what it was that was driven and what type of fuel was used. 

The car club tours (rallys?) would be a hodgepodge mix of older antiques and newer vehicles (of the same manufacturing).  The routes were a bit sight seeing historical stuff, country roads and a little bit of a road rally contest with questions.  The club would pick a weekend spot where we would dine and stay for a night.  Prizes were given to best scores relating to the questions.  Wife was the navigator and enjoyed the sight seeing stuff.  We only would use a GPS if we got lost taking a wrong turn or missing a route marker; well and mostly that did not help much.  I do recall one gentlemen that would do the tour by himself with which was sort of difficult to do and he did it year after year.  Many times it would get difficult cuz turns and stops were little things like a word in a passing billboard or a historical question about some place which answered correctly would lead to the next question.  The routes were tested months in advance and there were provided stretch (straight and curvy) where you could push your automobile some.

Car-A.jpg

Pic-5.jpg

Pete,

I like taking it out, the problem is the other drivers.....either gawkers or those that fail to pay attention to anything but the road. Unfortunately it's a little hard to not draw attention when there's a foot+ of the intake system peeking through the hood (or no hood at all), so I don't take it out as much as I probably would like.

The car is actually pretty streetable and has good manners, but it handles like it's age. I think I've gotten used to the idea in my head of having a newer sports/muscle car that gets 3X the mileage, handles and is more comfortable over the image and glory of the car I've owned since high school.

Show us a picture Del.

Lately wife is requesting comfort driving over anything else these days when we go together some place.

Geez never paid much attention but some of the issues just relate to getting in or out of the vehicle. 

Personally I still like to feel the engine / road type of stuff and yeah fond memories of the days of 10/20 ¢ a gallon gasoline.

I did notice that the sporty electric Telstra looks a bit now like petrol powered sporty Jaguar.

I have read that these some cars are using digital sounds for the engine. It does sort of create a virtual feel of driving a car from yesteryear.

My truck has an electronic / analog sound dampening resonator.

I saw it one day and couldn't figure out its purpose other than for engine sound.

I had to look and following the wires at what it was connected to one day; kind of freaked me out.

Ya know Pete, I haven't taken many pictures of it since the old Polaroid days, strange as it may seem. Trying to remember what the polaroid that was like a 35mm....spectra maybe?

I'll have to get a few snaps now that essentially the entire Radio Shack catalog offering can be put in a pants pocket.

Pete - I like the photo of the old tractors. It looks like they were put out to pasture though, are they yours?

We used to have an A&W here way back with car hops but it's been gone for many years now. I remember going there in the 60s but the car hops were a thing of the past by that time.

Mike.

Talking about power and comfort in a modern car, I drove a couple of F-150 Ford pick up trucks and I am amazed at the comfort and power they have. The 5 liter motor has 385 HP with a 6 speed automatic transmission and you can feel it when you put your foot into it. And it rides smoother than a lot of cars that I've driven in. It's really like a big luxury car with truck capabilities. And the V6 eco-boost claims 365 HP and didn't seem to give anything up to the V8 that I can tell. They are both a lot of fun to drive.

Mike.

Ya know Pete, I haven't taken many pictures of it since the old Polaroid days, strange as it may seem. Trying to remember what the polaroid that was like a 35mm....spectra maybe?

Understood Del.

Recalling the Polaroid Spectra of 1986. Here have always been into photography stuff (developing my own stuff in the early 70's).

Pete - I like the photo of the old tractors. It looks like they were put out to pasture though, are they yours?

Nope.  Just a view on a country drive.  The old tractors in a sense were put out to the pasture. That is what I tried somewhat to depict in my picture taking.

I do like the term "put-out to pasture" used appropiately and inappropiately today taking the phrase out of context in a literal sense.

I have always stopped and taken many pictures as there was never much of a rush on our car club tours. 

I am very much in to the evolution of the automobile engine (engines in general), the aeroplane engine and the rocket engine.

While visiting car museums while I like looking at the engines of yesteryear also look at the eye candy of manufacturer utilized to attrack a person to buy whatever sells.  A very popular car here made in Indiana in the 1930's was given a European flair of sorts that justified its price to mostly folks that had much money at the time.  Well that and speed as bank robbers wanted very fast cars (many stolen) and millionaires while not speed driving them could affort them at the time.

Historically have done the same looking a peridodicals of the yesterday and paying much attention to advertisments (eye candy) of whatever sold at the time.  Integrated by manufacturer hood ornaments said a lot over the years whether "ornate" or simple.

duesenberg.gif

pacearrow.gif

We used to have an A&W here way back with car hops but it's been gone for many years now. I remember going there in the 60s but the car hops were a thing of the past by that time.

Yeah it is just something the old neighbor would do on weekends.  Mostly he does the weekend car stuff on his own.

Today we live near some stuff in Joliet Illinois.  There is a place nearby where I have been to called Autobahn Country Club.  That said I have been able to test a few new cars on the track there.  Well too getting yelled at by spotters and a radio in the car.  (IE pushing a 500hp automobile to take a curve at over 100 mph for fun) Letting the cars loose I have never flipped any.  The homes/condos are built there for car enthusiast. 

Find-Out1.jpg

Over the years have purchased my tires at Tire Rack near South Bend Indiana.  We would make a day trip of the event as the place has a track to test drive you automobile right after you purchase tires from them and we have friends that live nearby.  There are not too many tire stores around that let you do this.

tirerack-2.gif

A bit about the Triumph Spitfire

Triumph Spitfire.gif

The Triumph Spitfire was originally devised by Standard-Triumph to compete in the small sports car market that had opened up with the introduction of the Austin-Healey Sprite. The Sprite had used the basic drive train of the Austin A30/A35 in a light body to make up a budget sports car; Triumph's idea was to use the mechanicals from their small saloon, the Herald, to underpin the new project. Triumph had one advantage, however; where the Austin A30 range was of unitary construction, the Herald featured a separate chassis. It was Triumph's intention to cut that chassis down and clothe it in a sports body, saving the costs of developing a completely new chassis / body unit.

Italian designer Michelotti—who had already penned the Herald—was commissioned for the new project, and came up with a traditional, swooping body. Wind-up windows were provided (in contrast to the Sprite/Midget, which still featured sidescreens, also called curtains, at that time), as well as a single-piece front end which tilted forwards to offer unrivalled access to the engine. At the dawn of the 1960s, however, Standard-Triumph was in deep financial trouble, and unable to put the new car into production; it was not until the company was taken over by the Leyland organization that funds became available and the car was launched. Leyland officials, taking stock of their new acquisition, found Michelotti's prototype hiding under a dust sheet in a corner of the factory and rapidly approved it for production.

The name Spitfire has some historical significance.

SpitfireMark1.gif300px-Ray_Flying_Legends_2005-1.jpg

The Spitfire was designed as a short-range, high-performance interceptor aircraft by R. J. Mitchell, chief designer at Supermarine Aviation Works (which operated as a subsidiary of Vickers-Armstrong from 1928). In accordance with its role as an interceptor, Mitchell designed the Spitfire's distinctive elliptical wing to have the thinnest possible cross-section; this thin wing enabled the Spitfire to have a higher top speed than several contemporary fighters, including the Hawker Hurricane. Mitchell continued to refine the design until his death from cancer in 1937, whereupon his colleague Joseph Smith took over as chief designer, overseeing the development of the Spitfire through its multitude of variants.

During the Battle of Britain, from July to October 1940, the Spitfire was perceived by the public to be the RAF fighter, though the more numerous Hawker Hurricane shouldered a greater proportion of the burden against the Nazi German air force, Luftwaffe. However, because of its higher performance, Spitfire units had a lower attrition rate and a higher victory-to-loss ratio than those flying Hurricanes.

Back