Alarm sounds

jruben4

Is there a way to have the Elk have different siren sounds for different types of alarms (e.g. burglar vs. fire)?

It's a hard to hear the voice portion of the announcement from upstairs, and for the kids I would like if they could easily tell the difference (without trying to go to a keypad to read the message).

Thanks!

Default. You just need to program accordingly.

The better option would be to install more speakers for easier audibility over (what sounds like) a single speaker in an install.

In Global setting G14-G18 you can choose to set outputs 1 and 2  between the standard Yelp Siren and Industrial buzzer. The default is Yelp for alarm and Buzzer for fire.

Mike.

Ok, I see.  The problem is I was testing my "fire" alarm with one of the CO detectors.  I assumed the CO alarm was the same as the fire alarm.  Testing from one of the fire sensors does confirm the fire alarm is industrial buzzer.  So apparently the fire alarm is the buzzer (default) but burglar and CO are both siren.

Any way to change the CO alarm to buzzer (like fire)?

Done via the automation section in RP and VOICE. Configure the sound and announcement there.

You really shouldn't modify the CO alarm too much. Like fire alarm and temporal-3 coding, CO is defined by temporal-4 coding.

Under the Voice menu I see where I can change what is announced during the various alarms, but not what the siren sounds like.

You could add a noise maker that is controlled by an output and trigger it with a rule when the chosen zone is violated.

Mike.

You would need to change the zone type and then modify the announcement portion via misc VM and put what you wanted in there, then build the zone fault annunciation portion.

If the system is monitored, then you would need to modify the CID codes appropriately.

You need to be really careful if you install anything external. Code requires fire alarm to be temporal 3 and CO to be temporal 4. Adding your own noise maker solution which might not be compliant or even add confusion upon another event/contradict the actual system sound.

DELInstallations said:
You need to be really careful if you install anything external. Code requires fire alarm to be temporal 3 and CO to be temporal 4.

I've encountered very few homeowners who know which is which - especially in a high stress situation.

That may or may not be true, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement, not to mention training the end user would generally take care of a portion of that (voice sounds would also do the same in addition to the sounder(s).

What I would not want to do is answer system design questions and deviations in court or to an insurer.

I guess I never really solved this problem.  My issue is that fire alarm and carbon monoxide alarms should trigger similar behaviors (leave building) so ideally could be set the same.  Burglar alarm is a different behavior (shelter in place).

Elk M1g is set so that Bugler and CO are Siren, and Fire is buzzer.

Any way to change the CO alarm to be the same as fire?

Back