Low Voltage Near High Voltage Okay?

ccmichaelson

Prior to running any wires I discussed my LV wiring plan with all subs (especially the Electrician).  Like most, he took the most direct path to his electrical panel and all of his wires run just above all my LV wires.  I suspect there's only a 9-12" gap between his ~30+ wires and my 100+ LV wires.  

Should I be concerned?  I could end up pulling my runs out of their existing holes and just drop my LV runs lower (below the sheetrock) if needed.  Anyone with electrical experience that could comment and provide guidance I'd greatly appreciate it as my Electrician says "it's no big deal".

I'm sure someone has stories, but I've yet to have any sort of [noticeable] interference with LV wiring from HV (110-240VAC). YMMV.

I'd say that I've been more surprised that you create a separate thread for all of your new home questions rather than try to have all the information/discussion consolidated into a single thread. If you decide you want to find info a year or more from now you'll have a lot more threads to search through...

I would be more concerned with the data bus being near the HV lines than the zone wiring being that it is more sensitive to voltage variations but Ibot've run both near HV lines with no trouble. Avoid it when necessary but I wouldn't worry if I had to go near power lines in a tight spot.

Mike.

Edit

BTW I don't consider 9 - 12 inches "close". that is plenty of space between lines.

Yeah, 9-12" is plenty.
Power lines run both supply and return in one cable so normally the magnetic fields cancel fairly well anyway.
With your LV cables the same principle should apply and any pickup in the cable conductors should mostly cancel.

This doesn't mean I would cable tie them together in a tight bundle though.  Induction, like many other radiating factors in nature is directly proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance between them. 9 - 12" is a lot for 120/240vac @ 60Hz.

Yep. Worst case would be to cross his wires at a 90 somewhere to mitigate EMF or install a ferrite core, but doubtful you'd ever see anything on an alarm panel. Audio, maybe.

drvnbysound said:
I'm sure someone has stories, but I've yet to have any sort of [noticeable] interference with LV wiring from HV (110-240VAC). YMMV.

I've been doing this a long time now, and I've only once had a problem - and that was due to the electrician running HV and Cat5 basically touching.  He redid that run a 2nd time with regular Cat5, then again with Plenum - passing continuity tests but not functioning before I asked for more details on how the wires were run - once he separated them from the HV they worked.  So it can happen but not as often as everyone makes us afraid.  However, the tools to test an intermittently troublesome run are >$1500 so for the average Joe it's best to just play it safe.  I agree with the others though - 9-12" I wouldn't stress about.

Back