Hard of Hearing

dwmoore57

I have a problem and found this forum online this morning.  I'm hearing impaired and when I go to bed at night I remove my hearing aids and I can no longer hear the telephone or door bell when they ring.  I have the HAI Omni IIe system and I would like to know if anyone knows how to write a program that would make an interior sounder ring or squawk to let me know when one of them is going off.  I would appreciate any help in this matter.  I use PC Access for programming the system but can't figure out how to make it work.  Thanks to any and everyone who is willing to help me with my situation. 

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum dwmoore57!

You can if you want purchase an Elk-930 Doorbell and Ring Detector.  I utilize one of these today with my OmniPro II board.

The ELK-930 performs three functions. It can detect ring activation from one or two doorbell buttons and a single telephone line. It conveniently isolates the voltage and current and produces an open collector (pull to ground) output which can be used to trigger an automation controller, relay, timer, etc. The circuit is pre-scored so that the individual detectors may be snapped off (separated) from each other. The ELK-930 Doorbell Detector monitors the current draw of a doorbell and produces an open collector output when the pushbutton is pressed and the doorbell draws 900mA or more. This open collector output can be used to trigger an automation controller input that utilizes high to low switching (pull to ground) for activation.The ELK-930 Telephone Ring Detector monitors the voltage on the telephone line and produces an open collector output (pull to ground) when the telephone ringing voltage is approximately 50 Volts or greater. The output follows the ringing pattern.

See here:  Elk-930 Doorbell and Ring Detector

930.jpg

You can configure the HAI Omni IIe panel to flash a lamp or lights in your bedroom if you want which may work better than using a sounder.

There are also wireless bed shakers which can be connected to the HAI Omni IIe panel via an output that might work for you.

I have never used one of these but you can wire up the wireless button to your HAI Omni IIe panel and use the receiver in your bedroom.  Used concurrently with the above stuff you can have the lights flash and the pager sound off at the same time.

wirelessvibratingchimepager.jpg

My Omni Pro flashes an LED Floodlight when the phone rings in my woodshop.
You could probably do something similar with a bedside lamp.

Back