Omnistat2 turning green but with no envy.

ano

I have a Zigbee OmniStat2 which worked fine in my old house, but when I installed it in my new house it started acting up.

I actually used it in "Program" mode several months, and it worked fine.  Then I paired the Zigbee and started using it with my Omni Pro II, and every day the screen color switches back to Color: 5, Brightness: 6.  This is a really ugly green color.  I set it back to a nice blue, and it stays that color for maybe a day or so, then it changes back to the ugly green. 

i have the programming in the OmniStat2 turned off, and the panel can control it without any problems, but the green screen is driving me crazy.

The Omnistat 2000s have older firmware than the 1000s (go figure HAI/Leviton).
When they lose power they revert to the default green color.

If your T-stat is constantly losing power, you may not have enough 24VAC capacity from the HVAC system and you need a separate T-stat power supply.

Also ensure a ground wire is run directly from the power supply (where the 24 VAC is generated at the furnace) to the T-Stat

OK let me double check the wiring.  It is the 2000 model.  It would have been at least logical to make the fault color blue to match everything else, but no its green.

Yeah here have the same issue when I service my HVAC (change filters et al).  It defaults to that green screen.

I like the blue screen better.

but the green screen is driving me crazy.

Don't look at it.

I never look at or watch my Omnistat. It works fine in that manner.

I use the Omnitouch screens to change stuff or look see...

Well, cracked it open and replaced the 100 mf cap. with a 470 mf cap. Solved the problem.  I wasn't 100% certain but took a wild guess this was the power supply cap. so a bigger one provides some extra boost when the voltage drops when AC kicks in.

Here thinking you did take a chance on the capacitor. 

Initially here started with the RC-80.  I could create the reset issue while watching it and turning on the furnace or ac at the time.

I did have some power stealing isses with it sometimes when the furnace / AC would start.  I went to the HAI offered solution and a separate transformer (think went to an Elk).

I did initially start with the power module; but that didn't work.  The newer board is larger with separate solenoids for this or that.

Thinking I wrote about it here some time or another.  It was a 29A00-1 relay isolation board.

When I upgraded to the Omnistat 2 I just left everything in place.

ano said:
Well, cracked it open and replaced the 100 mf cap. with a 470 mf cap. Solved the problem.  I wasn't 100% certain but took a wild guess this was the power supply cap. so a bigger one provides some extra boost when the voltage drops when AC kicks in.

The reason Leviton recommends you use a separate power supply if power is too low from the HVAC onboard transformer is also to protect the HVAC controller and contactor (outdoor compressor).  A low voltage issue is a high voltage drop issue, which means, even if you can trick the thermostat by storing more power in a cap, you are likely taking too much power off the transformer that also powers the HVAC system and a weak contactor can cause serious issues from simply arcing contacts or worse; blowing the contactor, compressor, and/or compressor fan.  

To avoid early failure of the HVAC, it may be prudent to install a separate transformer or install a larger one to support the HVAC and Thermostat.

FYI.... ugly green was very techie back in the day. Perhaps Leviton will change that default someday to a modern color.

StarTrekDoors said:
To avoid early failure of the HVAC, it may be prudent to install a separate transformer or install a larger one to support the HVAC and Thermostat.
HVAC unit is 19 years old, which is about double the average HVAC lifetime around here.

What's funny is that the Leviton Product Guide actually uses Blue and not Green for the image of the Omnistat 2 on page 40 of the 2013-2014 catalog.  Hummmmmmmm!

I appreciate the ability to change colors, but of course, everything else from Leviton is blue, so I'm not sure why anyone would pick green or red. But what does bug me is I have a house full of Leviton UPB switches, and apparently Leviton wasn't very fussy in making their LEDs consistent in color, because you can definitely see different shades of blue between some, and unfortunately ones that ended up next to each other.

Back