I2C DAC analog output MCP4725 with WebControl

CAI_Support

There is a DAC chip module based on Microchip MCP4725 chip.  All WebControl WC8 and WC32 boards can use that chip to send out analog output.  Its output has 12bit resolution to provide voltage reference.  Through a RC filter and comparator IC to drive external analog devices.  It can be purchased from eBay or some other web site

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321828657401

The board has address select pin A0 soldered to ground, so that default I2C address is 0xC0 for write, and 0xC1 for read.  This MCP4725 also has an EEPROM register, so that if a value stored in it, its output will be set to the stored value when power up, without even program it.

Does anyone interested in this chip?

I have an interest, it could be useful for making some multitone audible alarms, among other things.  but I am currently too busy to play with one.

I would still watch if you wanted to demo one

did look at the datasheet, seems that you can typically have two on the bus, but to have any more than that requires ordering the alternate addresses, as they come hardwired

The device code is followed by three address bits (A2, A1, A0) which are
programmed as follows:
• The choice of A2 and A1 bits are provided by the customer as part of the ordering process. These bits are then programmed (hard-wired) during manufacturing
• The A2 and A1 are programmed to ‘00’ (default), if not requested by customer
• A0 bit is determined by the logic state of A0 pin. The A0 pin can be tied to V DD or V SS , or can be actively driven by digital logic levels. The advantage of using the A0 pin is that the users can control the A0 bit on their application PCB circuit and also two identical MCP4725 devices can be used on the same bus line.

Back