Haiku Timed Access with Schlage Lock

john999

Ive got a Schlage zwave lock connected to the OPii. Unfortunately the lock lacks the ability to set codes which only work at specific times. I would like to be able to give a code to the housekeeper, but make sure it only works on certain days at certain times. I understand the lock has an API that permits the programming of codes via zwave--is is possible to script some code with haiku helper that adds and removes a code once a week on a schedule?

One idea is not to use the code on the lock. Instead add the OPII RFID reader at the door, and then use that for entry. You can use any schedule that you want. Then when the OPII says entry is OK, it can send the command to open the Z-wave lock.

What happens when housekeeper is sick one day and comes back the next, or is running early or late?

While it still provides access, I just rely on alerting from my Elk panel re: who has entered. For example, if my alarm is disarmed by person X, I get an email indicating that they've disarmed the system. If said person has entered at an odd time, they receive a phone call and line of questioning :) I've got security cameras to verify.

I've never been a fan of giving a housekeeper a code.  A code can be given to 500 other people and you never know.  Use RFID cards.  With an OP2, its logged, hours and days can be restricted, it can shut off the alarm and open the lock, and you can get an email. And only one person can have the RFID at a time, and no code to remember or worse, write down.

Without starting a whole new discussion.....
 RFID cards can be cloned, mimicked or spoofed, so while it's inherently easier than a code, by no means is it more secure. Easy enough to find out what the site code and credential number is for the card....even if it's not printed on the card itself.

Unless you're planning on running Iclass, Mifare or Desclass, credentials are no different than a code, only provided to the system in a credential format. You can add a second layer by forcing a PIN requirement to the credential, but if the credential is compromised, no difference.

The best security is to practice good system hygiene (hilarious when you type it out to reference it) and maintain your codes and credentials.

As an aside, why do you think WDW went to a custom HID product compared to their old card format.....you guessed it (besides using big data).

DELInstallations said:
The best security is to practice good system hygiene (hilarious when you type it out to reference it) and maintain your codes and credentials.
I like that comparison ;-)

We have a system of assigning lock codes to different levels. First level are codes for household members that are allowed access at any time. Second level is for people who come in occasionally, like a dog walker. They are assigned codes that are valid only during certain times (you don't expect the dog walker to come in after 9 pm for example). And the third is a one time use code that is generated by the system and is immediately revoked after it has been used. These are good for contractors and repairmen. All codes are residing in a number space greater than 2 as the first 2 codes can easily be reset from the lock itself.

Back