HDMI Wall Plate vs Straight to TV/Device

johngalt

Greetings,

I like the looks and idea of the HDMI wall plates such as the ones below.  It looks clean and no open holes to the insulation sheetrock etc.  However, I am not thrilled by all the extra connections as now instead of 1 cable (TV to device) I need to have 5 (Device <=> Wall Plate <=> In Wall Cable <=> Wall Plate <=> TV).

73301.jpg
69071.jpg

Or do you all typically use something similar to below and just one single cable?
61681.jpg

For my use I am planning on having my cable box, Fire TV, and Apple TV all in a closet with my AVR.  I was then going to run a HDMI cable in the wall to my TV.  The in wall cable length should be no more than 25 feet.

I may or may not get a 4k TV at this time, but I would prefer to not need to run a new cable in the future if I decide to.

Thanks!

johngalt said:
 However, I am not thrilled by all the extra connections as now instead of 1 cable (TV to device) I need to have 5 (Device <=> Wall Plate <=> In Wall Cable <=> Wall Plate <=> TV).

It's even worse than that, since every connector has a connection point between the wire and the pin in the connector.

The more connections you have in an end-to-end cable run, the more it will degrade the signal quality.  Since HDMI is digital, a given packet of data will either get their correctly or it won't.  It may work fine for a 1080p connection today, but have problems when you upgrade in the future.  The only way to be sure would be to run a qualification test on the installation once it is in place.

Since you probably won't need to plug/unplug the cables between the TV and the wall or between the wall and your other devices very often, I'd skip the wall plates.  They look nice, but the signal quality trade offs aren't worth it, in my opinion.

For me, it depends. I've done both.

Into my TV's I generally used a decora-style brush strap (like this). However, I also have a HDMI wall plate below my TV; the cable connects to the TV directly. This provides the clean look if nothing is plugged into it (nothing hanging out of the wall), but provides me the flexibility to plug in an additional source.

I've done both, but the big variable is whether or not the install can come under a "retrofit" clause or is required to meet code. Assembly component cables made in a factory don't typically have the in-wall rating, so as a pro, using pre-made cables that don't have a UL listing, it's strictly verboten.

I can't necessarily agree with RAL's assessment as the same holds true with pre-made factory cables and components, even though they work individually, once you add a couple of components and their related patches, sometimes issues still arise with HDMI. Timing, skew, etc.

The biggest item, besides the cable rating is that technology of getting the signal from point A to B is going to change or adopt a different standard. It already has with S-video, composite, component and a few other that I choose to forget...DVI, RGB.....

I just realized that I already had a picture in my gallery here of what's behind my TV:

index.php

I have since converted one of the Cat5E connections to a 3.5mm female plug which is used for my Xantech IR receiver. The cabling for that goes back to a closet where all of our AV devices are located, so the IR signal is distributed to those devices.

I went to mostly the inserts as above for the LCD TVs. One of the difficult installations in my home was the mounting of a ~40" LCD in my home office near the ceiling on one side.  Initially here though started by using Rapid Run cabling. 

Current attached picture is one Rapid Run cable and HDMI plugs and other stuff.  It is not as neat as subsequent installations in my home (and now bulges - its been a few years).  Well did a friend's master bedroom with similar.  She wanted the LCD to pivot out such that she could see it from the bathroom location.  Difficult piece was the plaster wall installation of the LCD bracket.  Put a triple insert with one box in it being HV and 2 boxes being LV.

LCDTV.jpg

I have not to date used one of the above mentioned pass through in the wall type of covers.

drvnBySound...I like the wall plate you used behind your tV...can you give me some information on that product (manuf/model)?  Much appreciated!

@ Pete, looks like the devices are fine, the plate seems to be the issue. Looks like one of the cheapie nylon units and overtightened, but hard to really judge based on the picture 100%. Hopefully that isn't squeezed into a box and only a ring.

At this time, I only use the scoops. I will run more cable than I need and just let it hang there in the wall. If I need it, I'll pull it out. It keeps everything clean and accessible while giving me a direct connection.

Thanks Del.

Yup it is just the cover.  One side is the rapid run plate and the other side is a 6 port plate. 

Personally never have used the wire scoops here. 

Seen a few now new homes with included LCD TV packages just utilize wire scoops for everything.

Well mostly probably cuz the TV is cheaper nowadays that the work involved for LV/HV.

Only tried using the rapid cables a couple of times on the second floor.  I didn't really like them.

Here went to using the double / triple inserts (each has one boxed HV section angled to two single boxes flat).

Most difficult was the add of electricity here as the whole house is conduit and I wouldn't ever run HV in a wire scoop.

That said while in the wall doing HV always did the LV cabling.

I won't add extra connections for HDMI. Pass-through only.

I have a scoop in my Amazon cart at the moment. It will be hidden behind a rack.

I have some concerns about the brushed pass-throughs. Drvnbysound, do the brush fibers spring back after a year, if cables are moved? I'd definitely use them for visible locations, if they didn't get mangled.

After a year... I'm not sure honestly. My concern with the scoops is that there is nothing to restrict any air flow (HVAC loss or critters for that matter) - while the brushes aren't 100% effective at stopping either, I felt they were slightly better than an open scoop.  Additionally, the scoops provide that "cup" to the wire which begins to mold it to turn; the brushes I get don't have that and allow the wire to come out of the wall at almost any angle. When working with some of the thick HDMI cables I found this to be a pretty significant benefit.

Back