Deleting an "Area" on Elk M1?

tadr

I was having some work done in our basement over the summer, so I created a separate "Area" in my Elk M1 system using the Elk RP software.  Now that the work is done, I deleted the area using the Elk RP tool.  However, I can't figure out how to actually delete the Area on the panel.  I can't send the deleted area to the panel, since it is deleted and no longer exists.  Sending all areas to the panel doesn't work either.
Now, Elk RP keeps reporting a conflict between Elk RP and the panel, noting that Area 2 still exists on the panel.

Any suggestions?

You should be able to acknowledge the conflict and either send to the panel or receive to the DB. Until you acknowledge the system won't allow you to do anything.

DELInstallations said:
You should be able to acknowledge the conflict and either send to the panel or receive to the DB. Until you acknowledge the system won't allow you to do anything.

Right. I can acknowledge the conflict and receive Area 2 to the database.  However, if I try to send from the database to the panel, Elk RP reports that there is nothing to send since Area 2 is actually DELETED in the database.  I'm familiar with the general process of acknowledging and resolving conflicts.  Any ideas?

Your process sounds incorrect. You're receiving the information from the panel, but it appears like you're not opening up the received DB and/or verifying the second area is gone? You should be able to send the DB to the panel if you don't RECEIVE it. and flag the conflict and send the DB to the panel itself. If That's not the case try the following.

Create a new blank account and drag the panel in as-is. Make the changes in RP and send back.

Sounds like your existing DB might have some corruption and until you clean the panel up, it won't rewrite that DB entry or possibly an incorrect process involved.

DELInstallations said:
Your process sounds incorrect. You're receiving the information from the panel, but it appears like you're not opening up the received DB and/or verifying the second area is gone? You should be able to send the DB to the panel if you don't RECEIVE it. and flag the conflict and send the DB to the panel itself. If That's not the case try the following.

Create a new blank account and drag the panel in as-is. Make the changes in RP and send back.

Sounds like your existing DB might have some corruption and until you clean the panel up, it won't rewrite that DB entry or possibly an incorrect process involved.

Let me start over here.

I opened up my database and connected to the panel using Elk RP.  Then I deleted Area 2 in the database.  My problem is that I can't figure out how to send the deletion to the panel.  I tried right-clicking on Areas in Elk RP and sending "All Areas."  However, every time I view conflicts it still shows that Area 2 exists in the panel.  Essentially, I don't know how to tell Elk RP to delete the Area on the panel.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my database.  I can delete Area 2 in the database and it doesn't display in Elk RP -- my issue is deleting Area 2 on the panel itself.

Just a thought...and I have FAR less experience than DEL......

From a keypad, if you go to zone definition (menu 5), is the zone assigned to the correct partion/area or is it still assigned to the temporary one you set up?  

TurboSam said:
Just a thought...and I have FAR less experience than DEL......

From a keypad, if you go to zone definition (menu 5), is the zone assigned to the correct partion/area or is it still assigned to the temporary one you set up?  

I changed the basement zones back to Area 1 in Elk RP and that is all working fine.  I didn't check it from the keypad, but I know it's working because I tested it last night.

Do you have any keypads assigned to the deleted area? If so then try removing or re-assigning them and re-enrolling the data bus devices.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
Do you have any keypads assigned to the deleted area? If so then try removing or re-assigning them and re-enrolling the data bus devices.

Mike.
Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion.  There was a keypad assigned to the area previously.  I reassigned it to Area 1 yesterday when I deleted Area 2 and reassigned the relevant zones to Area 1.

I just tried re-enrolling, but it didn't make a difference.

I'm attaching a picture to this post so you guys can see exactly what I'm looking at.  As you can see, there are 4 buttons in the conflict window:
1. View differences for selected items.  This displays the window you can see in the screenshot.  Clearly the panel thinks Area 2 still exists, whereas it does not exist in the database (because I deleted it).
2. Send checked item(s) to system.  You would think this would resolve the conflict.  But if I click it, I get the following error: "Cannot download Area 2 to system. It does not exist in the database."  Right, because I deleted it...
3. Received checked item(s) to database.  This downloads Area 2 from the panel back to my database.  But the whole point here is that I want to delete Area 2.
4. Delete checked item(s) entirely.  Again, you would think this might resolve the conflict.  When I click this, Elk RP briefly displays "Sending Area 2".  Great.  But when I click Send/Rcv - Check for conflicts, the same conflict comes up.

I'm stumped :)

Attachments

• ElkArea2Issue.png
    ElkArea2Issue.png
    417.6 KB · Views: 14
RP definitely has some bugs and when I've gotten stuck with it I have had some success by creating a new customer account and then downloading the panel to it and going from there. When that hasn't worked I have resorted to defaulting the control to it's factory defaults through the keypad. It is done through a global setting that is not accessible through RP. You can find instruction on page 36 and 37 of the M1 installation manual.

Mike.

Outside of a few tiny quirks, RP is pretty solid. The later builds have improved issues I had with errors. Never had issues with the DB (except being able to sync multiple machines and DB's). Part of doing this as a trade vs. tinker and novice I guess. Compared to other products, night and day.

Anywhoo:

"Send checked items to panel" radio button. Should blow out of the panel and reflect the DB. Normal SOP. Means you made the change in RP but did not send to the panel.

Or if you change basic items in RP defaults, go to the top of RP and send/rcv and send all.

DELInstallations said:
Outside of a few tiny quirks, RP is pretty solid. The later builds have improved issues I had with errors. Never had issues with the DB (except being able to sync multiple machines and DB's). Part of doing this as a trade vs. tinker and novice I guess. Compared to other products, night and day.

Anywhoo:

"Send checked items to panel" radio button. Should blow out of the panel and reflect the DB. Normal SOP. Means you made the change in RP but did not send to the panel.

Or if you change basic items in RP defaults, go to the top of RP and send/rcv and send all.

Thanks.  I just tried the Send/Rcv--> Send All option and Area 2 is still showing up in the conflicts window as pictured above.  As I mentioned before, "send checked items to system" throws an error that says "Cannot download Area 2. It does not exist in the database."

There's really no harm in having an unused Area 2, so I should probably just download it from the system and leave it in the database -- its just driving me crazy that I can't delete it.  I'd rather not reset the entire panel.

Then next would be a receive and then pull via RP and send back. Pretty easy.

Blowing the entire panel out would be an absolute last resort and is seldom necessary (Mike had other issues that necessitated that)

I figured out the issue.  I had one disabled zone that was still assigned to Area 2 that I completely forgot about it.  Once I reassigned that zone to Area 1, I was able to delete Area 2 as expected and then "send all Areas."  Now Area 2 is gone from the panel.

Although I feel dumb for missing this, some more informative prompts from Elk RP sure would be helpful.

Edit: Thanks for the help and patience DEL and Mike!

Back