Motion Sensors and Hai Omnipro II

hurricne

Hello,

I have 6 or 7 wireless motion detectors (HAI 47100) installed in 2007 connected to my omnipro II via wireless zone receiver.  I am having a problem in that there are frequent "protection loop errors" that I am alerted to by my monitoring company (in the middle of the night).  These are likely happening throughout the day as well, but the alarm system is typically not armed, so I am not alerted.  There are new batteries, no spiders I have noticed, and not near HVAC.  They are cross-zoned if that matters through PCA.  This happens to a different detectors almost every other night.  When the system is armed away, they also don't really even seem very responsive to movement (ie, at times it seems like it takes three people jumping up and down for 2 minutes to trigger). 

Is there a simple fix for this - should I replace them?  Any recs for a good replacement that would work well w OPII?  These are wall mounted. 

Thanks very much,

It might be the receiver. The "trouble" signal usually means that a wireless receiver hasn't checked in for several hours. Normally they broadcast a signal hourly saying they are O.K. If the receiver doesn't hear the "I'm OK" message for several hours, you get the trouble signal. If this started on different detectors all of a sudden, I would suspect the receiver. Unfortunately there isn't a repeater for the HAI receiver like there is for the GE receiver. I use the repeater for the GE receiver and it works well.  The missing signal problem has been eliminated. I'm using the GE version receiver, and I use GE NX-481 motion detectors.

One more thing to consider about them not responding.  Once they trip, they typically will turn off for two minutes to save battery, so you can jump around with 100 people but they will ignore you for 2 minutes.  Wireless sensors work differently than wired, and its perfectly normal for it not to trigger for 2 minutes if it already triggered,

Great info - will the GE products work with the omnipro II?  Which receiver and repeater do you use?

Thanks

Yes, Leviton sells two receivers for the Omni Pro II, the Leviton receiver you have that requires Leviton sensors, and the GE receiver that works with any GE sensors.  If you go for the GE, there are lots more choices in sensors out there.  The GE receiver is part 42A002 and can handle 64 zones like the Leviton receiver.  I believe Leviton had different companies design the Leviton receiver and the GE receiver because they look a bit different, but generally they both work the same.  

There are several companies making GE compatible equipment and I don't think GE even makes them or owns them anymore but that doesn't matter much. When i say GE its more a standard then a company.  If you Google "GE wireless repeater" you'll get a bunch, but I like this one from Resolution Products http://resolutionproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RE120_GE_Repeater_Translator.pdf

Why I like it is because you can learn it like a zone so the panel can monitor the battery.  This repeater uses AAA batteries to provide power should the power go off. Some other repeaters need an external battery.  You need battery backup for the repeater so it keeps repeating should the power go out.

Install the repeater high up near the middle of your house generally between the receiver and furthest sensor, give or take.

Also note, I believe you can find TWO lines of GE sensors. You want the GE Interlogix which will sometimes say SAW or crystal sensors. There are also GE Simon sensors which I don't think will work, but i could be wrong.

GE is GE. Simon, Concord or general market. The only variable with GE is Crystal or SAW. Usually, crystal devices will work on a SAW receiver, but not vice versa.

Ano, the history is the devices were originally engineered and marketed by ITI, who was bought out by GE, who in turn was bought out by UTC. The devices were rebranded a few times, but they are still under the UTC/GE umbrella, and marketed as their own "brand" under Interlogix, same difference as their side of the FACP and devices industry (Edwards and others). Really, for all intents and purposes, the GE/UTC brand and growth was based off the purchase of other companies and not unique engineering developments or new products. Really not too much innovation or fresh products from that company in about 10+ years and they've been slowly dying off.

OK - I have the GE wireless receiver and 6 NX-481 detectors and a repeater.  I am having a problem "learning in" the transmitters to the wireless receiver.  My old sensors were in zones 49-54 (I have one expansion module for blinds).  So, I am choosing "a2" and "n2" on the setup, which I think is right.   When the 1st transmitter is ready to be tripped (number 1 is displayed) it says that a "dot" should appear on either side of the number to indicate it learned the sensor.  This is not happening no matter what I do to trigger the sensor or which sensor I try.  The green LED is constantly lit. 
What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any help.

Back