Premise Anyone running Premise in a VM?

Motorola Premise

samgreco

I am looking to rebuild my server soon, which has other VMs on it for other purposes and thought that having Premise in a VM might be a good way to go.

Just wondering if anyone has operated it that way in production.

No first hand experience with Premise, but I run a lot of stuff in VM's. Can't really see why you'd have any issues doing it.

The only thing that I am concerned about is the USB/Serial box I have (8-serial ports) and the sound card for media and such.  So I think it's just time to spin one up and see what happens.

How did it go?  VMs and interacting with actual hardware is sometimes problematic.  Often enough that it's not worth jumping through the hoops to get it working.  That and you don't really get any kind of guarantee with regard to 'real time' processing when in a VM.  Sure, with the right host hypervisor and enough free CPU it can get pretty close, but once you start stacking things up it can run into problems.

Well, as often goes, I got busy with a whole boatload of other stuff and just haven't had the time to play.  And at this point, it could be weeks :)

samgreco said:
And at this point, it could be weeks :)

I hear that!  I've been in the new house two years now and haven't automated the lighting yet.  Well, beyond it being RA2 gear, nothing 3rd party plugged into it yet.

I have been running Premise in a VM for about 5 years. It works perfectly fine. All of my RS232/485 devices are all connected through IP/serial bridges like Lantronix. 

So I finally gave this a go and all went well, EXCEPT for the media stuff.  Since I use Premise to serve my music library through a hardware sound card (M-Audio Delta 1010), it just didn't want to play nice.  So I decided to just leave Premise on the host (2012R2) itself.

Unfortunately, that seems to be causing me other issues...  which I'll create a new post for.

Back