Could we have a wiring section?

wkearney99

There's the 'Wiring Closet' catch-all, which is a fun idea, but what about one actually for wiring?

Just a thought...

I wish that a wiring forum existed when I started my installation. Wiring was the area where I had the most to learn. I especially needed help with preparing my vinyl windows for sensors. I messed up drilling the first few holes. I also had a poor connection on the data bus that haunted me for months. I also think that my cabling should be much neater. When I flush mounted my Elk wiring box in the wall I made one puch hole for wires to enter and one for wires to exit and those holes filled up very quickly. Now I wish that I had puched more holes through the box and wall stud but it's a little late for that.

I have experience wiring automotive and small engine equipment which is relatively high powered and the splices are not that critical and I have experience wiring inside transistor radios and such where there is very low current and all spices require solder but this industry is low powered and using mechanical splices and I had some problems with the different types of connectors and splices. I just wasn't used to handling them at first.

I think it's a great idea, Mike.

Not anything. Not even to quote our text works.

This was raised a year ago to no avail. Most posters give up and go elsewhere.

I know how to use the Windows GUI editing.
I cannot paste into  post except in

this box

Again. this has been reported many times by many people for more than a year.

Editing is also a problem. Backspace can delete the whole post. The forum software was never set up properly. Other forums had the same problems using the same IP Board software until  some options were set properly.

Searching in this forum you should find many examples of people complaining of this but either the admin doesn't care or cannot figure it out.

Look, start your own threads for complaints.  I'm just looking for a forum that lets us group our wiring conversations, not just bitch about what others have provided for us... for free.

Yeah here my very first interior door wiring (about 10 years ago) I had best guesstimated the door frame and decided to drill from the basement up to the kitchen.  That said I did drill off a bit and through the kitchen wood floor.  I have since patched it and you really cannot tell these days.  On an exterior door wired a bit too tight and when the door frame changed over time it did pull my soldered wires loose very slowly giving me a bunch of grief.

Here I have multiple attics which I cannot reach easily from main attic so I utilize a fiberglass extention pole that was given to me in the 1990's.  I do not know what it is called these days. 

I have seen these types of posts under security and wiring closet but it would be nicer to have a subsection just dedicated to wiring. 

Oh I thought you might have wanted to be able to post diagrams and pictures for actual wiring.

Perhaps you are only interested in text discussion instead.

Here is a logical drawing of my automation from 2009. 

There are many blogs / pictures posted relating to many folks low voltage wiring endeavors.

HS2-HAI.jpg

Here best alarm wiring wasn't done by me rather it was prewiring done by an alarm company / gurus done before windows were finished.  Same with a home build in the 1970's.  IE: getting wire to a window frame isn't difficult but integration to the window can be a PITA relating to a nice look (WAF stuff).

So far I have only seen 3-4 of us interested in a subsection here on the forum for a wiring section. 

@Bill maybe trying a poll would help?

poll.jpg

Relating to this stuff and newbies to automation I think that much of the attraction relating to new automation is using wireless trinkets; well except for the wiring of a wall switch.

Well if I do a post with linked pictures then you do not have to log in to see the pictures. 

If I attach pictures then you do have to log in to see the pictures.

Thinking a paid membership gives you more candy but not sure anymore these days what the candy is.

Most of the home / residential low voltage wiring stuff I have learned from here on Cocoontech and from folks like you Del.

Commercially mostly involved in planning and design of commercial stuff and creation of standards type of stuff a few years back.

Back