Rookie Questions: Unit vs Scene vs Room

I'm new to HAI Omni and PC Access (Dealer Version), I configured all my switches with Upstart and trying to determine next steps.

When I setup "Units" there's RM1, then RM1-2, since I don't have a room controller do I skip the 1 unit of each room blank and setup unit 2 etc ?

In the links the unit starts at 001, but the RM2 unit number would be 002, so in the automation programming do I reference the link units or room units ?

How do I implement scenes ? 

When I setup "Units" there's RM1, then RM1-2, since I don't have a room controller do I skip the 1 unit of each room blank and setup unit 2 etc ?

Initially I did then later on did not as I do not have room controllers.  I did update most of my UPB switches to multitoggle and dual load switches.

In the links the unit starts at 001, but the RM2 unit number would be 002, so in the automation programming do I reference the link units or room units ?

Links

I implemented scenes with Upstart and reference them in PCA.

Personally here mapped out my stuff with the OPII in the notes section of PCA for the panel.

On the top if you want put your name, address, telephone and whatever else should be looked at in case of an emergency. (you do not have to do anything like this; it is up to you).

You can put names of users here too if you want.  It is easier to document your OPII stuff on a piece of paper; then go to configuring your panel.

You can do this initially say with notepad or something similiar.  If you do not want to utilize the notes section then just save a file on your PC along with a print out for you to refer to.

Zones -

Exit doors and windows?

1 - front door
2 - deck door
et al

3 - window-1
4 - window-2

5 - switch sensor for whatever -1
6 - switch sensor for whatever-2

7 - PIR #1
8 - PIR #2

Play with this some - mostly important to document what zone is what

Next document Units

1 - unit 1 - front coach lamps
2 - unit 2 - garage coach lamps
3 - master bedroom switch #1

UPB Links maybe here:

1 - scene #1
2 - scene #2

Thermostats

Audio - sources and zones et al type of stuff

CCTV

et al.  The more you pre document your stuff; the easier it will be to configure your panel.

Consoles and keypads

#1 keypad - location
#2 console - location and type

et al.

In the room setup, for example I have 4 switches in my theater, does the below look correct ?

RM1 = nothing ?
RM1-2 = First Switch, in my case it's the "Screen Wash"
RM1-3= Rope Lights

How is rooms used and how do I implement scenes ?

Here is a copy and paste from an OmniPro 2 firmware manual which explains the HLC UPB room methodology of what you are asking about.

Personally I just have a regular UPB switch in the #1 position of room controller.  I did not group my switches in the HLC methodology. 

I upgraded here recently to many dual load / multipaddle UPB switches which are room controllers.

Google here on the forum and you will find a granular explaination of using HLC/UPB switches with the HAI panel.

HAI Lighting Control (HLC) Format

HAI Lighting Control (HLC) combines HAI UPB™ Wall Switches,

Dimmers, and Modules, HAI UPB™ Room Controllers, and HAI UPB™ House Controllers to create lighting scenes that set the proper mood and ambiance for various activities.   

HLC format is a defined structure for configuring, programming, and operating all the HLC lighting devices in your home.  HLC uses UPB™ technology which is a new powerline communications standard for lighting and home control.  UPB™ is a robust, two-way digital powerline carrier communications protocol which transmits signals over the existing wires in a home.  

OmniPro II groups devices by “House Code”, which consists of 16 consecutive unit numbers, starting at Unit 1.  Each “House Code can be configured to a different lighting protocol format such as: Standard X-10, Extended X-10, Lightolier Compose, UPB (open UPB format where you can use the programming capability in the OmniPro II controller to communicate with the UPB network), Lutron RadioRA, or HAI Lighting Control (HLC).   

Each “House Code” that is configured to use the HLC format consists of 2 rooms with up to 8 HLC devices in each room.  OmniPro II supports up to 31 rooms of HLC lighting.  OmniPro II can control up to 248 HLC devices.  Each HLC device (Switch, Dimmer, Module, Room Controller, or House Controller) has its own Unit ID (1-248).   HAI manufactured UPB™ devices (collectively referred to as HLC devices) can be configured using an Omni console or OmniTouch touchscreen connected to the OmniPro II controller.  Other UPB™ devices may be used in the HLC structure, but cannot be configured using the OmniPro II controller; they must be configured using a PC running the UPB™ UPStart configuration software.

About Rooms

Each “room” of HLC lighting consists of 8 consecutive unit numbers, starting at Unit 1 (i.e. Room 1 = Units 1-8, Room 2 = Units 9-16, Room 3 = Units 17-24, etc.).  Each room can consist of a maximum of 8 HLC devices, configured as follows:

Up to 7 HAI UPB™ Wall Switches, Dimmers, and/or Modules (for controlling up to 7 lighting loads in a room or area)  
  • 1 or more Room Controllers (for setting scenes in a room, turning the room on and off, and dimming and brightening the room)
  • 1 House Controller (for controlling up to 8 rooms of HLC lighting)
  • 1 or more House Controllers (used as a general purpose 8 button keypad controllers)

The first unit number in each room (i.e. 1, 9, 17, 25, etc.) is reserved for controlling the room.  The name for this unit should reflect the room name (e.g. Kitchen, Great Room, Theater, etc.).  HLC Wall Switches, Dimmers, or Modules cannot be programmed to these unit numbers.  If one or more Room Controllers are used, the first Room Controller should be set to the first unit number in the group (i.e. Unit 1); additional Room Controllers can be used by setting each to any other unused unit number in the group (i.e. Units2-8).

About Room Controllers

The HAI UPB™ 6-Button Room Controller allows for lighting control of a room where HAI UPB™ Wall Switches, Dimmers, and Modules have been installed. From a Room Controller the room can be turned off (all loads in the group are turned off), turned on (all loads in the group are turned on), brightened (all loads are brightened from their current level), dimmed (all loads are dimmed from their current level), or set to one of 4 lighting scenes (A-D). 

OmniPro II Version 2.9 Firmware Release

Can I configure non-HLC products to work like the HAI Lighting Scheme?

JonW has a very nice to read FAQ posting here about configuring your panel UPB switches in HLC mode.

Best to go baby steps as stated above and earlier.

Write up a little document for your own set up documenting what you have configured relating to zones and units.

Register on the PCS site, download Upstart and use the design tools for you UPB network if you like it.  (this is different than HLC).

tripleJs15 said:
I'm new to HAI Omni and PC Access (Dealer Version), I configured all my switches with Upstart and trying to determine next steps.

What makes it a bit confusing is that the HAI controller can control many different technologies, and each of these technologies seems to have its own language.  HAI seems to have adopted a generic language to describe them all.

First, i don't think you said which lighting technology YOU will be using.  I'm guessing UPB, but keep in mind, there is then generic UPB, or HAI's version called HLC.  So lets assume you are using HAI UPB switches.  Is that correct? 

So "Units" are HAI's way of saying basic hardware address.  This is nothing more than a serial number so each switch can be address separately.  Units start at 01. 

"Scenes" can also mean different things depending if you are talking about UPB scenes, or UPB HLC scenes.  Generally is nothing more than a flag with a number attached that all the switches watch for.  For example, lets say you wanted to easily turn on all the lights in your house. You could turn on "unit 1" then "unit 2" and so forth, but this would be slow.  An easier way is to create a scene call "All ON" with maybe the number 10.  Then you set each switch to watch for the scene, and when it occurs, turn on.  So send a "scene 10 ON" and every switch watching for this scene turns on.  Each UPB switch can watch for up to 16 scenes, and turn to any brightness when they are received.  If you send a "scene 10 OFF"  all switches watching for that scene turn off.

But now that you are totally confused, it gets worse.  HAI when they created HLC wanted to make it structured in such a way where UPStart wasn't even required to program HAI switches.  So they put limits on scenes and created "rooms."   A "room" is just a collection of lights, locks, blinds or any device in a room.  Rooms are optional to use and just make it easier to find what you are looking for.

So, before we can help you more, are you using HAI HLC (HAI's version of UPB with HAI switches), generic UPB, or Z-wave or some other technology? 

@ano,

I have been going really slow helping tripleJs15 offline.

He is using UPB switches recently purchased with his OmniPro panel.

tripleJs15 is DIYing his set up and is in the beginning stages.

I am not sure yet what is wired to his panel zone wise nor how many UPB switches he will be configuring.

He has been doing this on his free time and doesn't have much of it lately.

What I know so far:

1 - Omni LTe
2 - UPB switches - unknown how many
3 - keypads? -  not sure if only one
4 - outputs - interior and exterior sounder
5 - zones - unknown

I have asked that he write down a list of hardware and current hardware connections, learn how to use Upstart and PCA.

pete_c said:
@ano,

I am not sure yet what is wired to his panel zone wise nor how many UPB switches he will be configuring.

What I know so far:

1 - Omni LTe
5 - zones - unknown

I have asked that he write down a list of hardware and current hardware connections, learn how to use Upstart and PCA.
I can certainly feel for him. Leviton/HAI does not make it easy.  I think their plan is document very little, then charge big bucks to attend their classes to learn it.

ano said:
What makes it a bit confusing is that the HAI controller can control many different technologies, and each of these technologies seems to have its own language.  HAI seems to have adopted a generic language to describe them all.

First, i don't think you said which lighting technology YOU will be using.  I'm guessing UPB, but keep in mind, there is then generic UPB, or HAI's version called HLC.  So lets assume you are using HAI UPB switches.  Is that correct? 

So "Units" are HAI's way of saying basic hardware address.  This is nothing more than a serial number so each switch can be address separately.  Units start at 01. 

"Scenes" can also mean different things depending if you are talking about UPB scenes, or UPB HLC scenes.  Generally is nothing more than a flag with a number attached that all the switches watch for.  For example, lets say you wanted to easily turn on all the lights in your house. You could turn on "unit 1" then "unit 2" and so forth, but this would be slow.  An easier way is to create a scene call "All ON" with maybe the number 10.  Then you set each switch to watch for the scene, and when it occurs, turn on.  So send a "scene 10 ON" and every switch watching for this scene turns on.  Each UPB switch can watch for up to 16 scenes, and turn to any brightness when they are received.  If you send a "scene 10 OFF"  all switches watching for that scene turn off.

But now that you are totally confused, it gets worse.  HAI when they created HLC wanted to make it structured in such a way where UPStart wasn't even required to program HAI switches.  So they put limits on scenes and created "rooms."   A "room" is just a collection of lights, locks, blinds or any device in a room.  Rooms are optional to use and just make it easier to find what you are looking for.

So, before we can help you more, are you using HAI HLC (HAI's version of UPB with HAI switches), generic UPB, or Z-wave or some other technology? 

Thanks for the explanation, that helped a lot!

pete_c said:
@ano,

What I know so far:

1 - Omni LTe
5 - zones - unknown

1 - Omni LTe
2 - UPB all HAI - 6 Dimmers - switches - 16 right now - 4 in theater room the other scattered about the house.
3 - 2 HAI Keypads 
4 - outputs - interior only
5 - 8 doors, and 4 motions - unknown
6 - Pre-Wired for 3 cameras

I also have an HAI HIFI2 (8 zone)

Desert_AIP said:
When he's ready, he is everything I learned about UPB/HLC:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/26748-upb-configuration-into-ominpro/

Thanks, HAI doesn't make it easy to DIY this stuff!

Here initially I started doing the HLC/UPB thing; then just went to UPB. 

HAI  started all of this with just X10; such that the base of the stuff is still in the X10 world.

ano said:
It was VERY helpful to me.  Thanks.

But I have a question for you. Is there a way to programmatically have the HAI rescan a room?  I know a link 241 or 242 from a switch in the room will do it, and a room link will do it, but any way to send it without sending a room link?
Not that I know of, aside from individually polling the room devices.
That's why I reserved the D link in each room for just that purpose.
Nothing responds to the D link, but the Omni polls the room with a single command.
It helps link rooms together to maintain status across rooms too.

1 - Omni LTe
2 - UPB all HAI - 6 Dimmers - switches - 16 right now - 4 in theater room the other scattered about the house.
3 - 2 HAI Keypads 

Back to the OP.

Having all HAI UPB will let you utilize HLC.

Looks like you are all wired now and ready to program your panel.

Personally posting your stuff here will help others doing this for the first time.

@tripleJs15

What do you think?

pete_c said:
1 - Omni LTe
3 - 2 HAI Keypads 

Back to the OP.

Having all HAI UPB will let you utilize HLC.

Looks like you are all wired now and ready to program your panel.

Personally posting your stuff here will help others doing this for the first time.

@tripleJs15

What do you think?

Sounds good to me, I'm not traveling for work this week so I can play around with this a little.

I mistakenly added "Living Room" to RM1 under "Units", and cannot figure out how to remove it.

Since RM1 is Unit 001 - when I reference it all my lights turn on, however in UPSTART unit 001 is my living room fixture, how do I correct ?

Back