reversing polarity using momentary or latching relays

cestor

I am currently trying to build a circuit that will allow an actuator to be controlled from an HAI OP2 system. The idea is that the OP2 momentary pulse will allow a +ve voltage to go to the actuator (which has built-in limit switches). A second pulse will latch the power feed with reverse polarity, which will send the actuator back in the other direction. Have looked at lots of different circuit diagrams and relays but am still stumped....any takers?

Curious cestor if you have fixed your OPII panel problems mentioned below? 

I am curious about your issue and build a circuit to a non working Omnipro panel?

Everything on the panel works apart from when I connect one particular console to it, so I currently have the wires hanging out the wall and although I haven't fixed that issue, any more console testing is going to drive me mad so I'm trying to get the actuator circuit going now.

@mikefamig- those links are very helpful, thanks - presumably neither of the relays need to be latching and the OP2 can generate a constant voltage to trigger the relays through an output

cestor said:
Everything on the panel works apart from when I connect one particular console to it, so I currently have the wires hanging out the wall and although I haven't fixed that issue, any more console testing is going to drive me mad so I'm trying to get the actuator circuit going now.

@mikefamig- those links are very helpful, thanks - presumably neither of the relays need to be latching and the OP2 can generate a constant voltage to trigger the relays through an output

I am not familiar with the OPII -  I have an Elk system but it doesn't matter what control does the switching as long as the logic is correct. With the Elk I would activate the relay coils by switching Elk outputs on and off via Elk rules. The power source can be any DC voltage power sourceof the correct voltage and sufficient power.

Mike.

Over the years here have fat fingered one Omnitouch console.  It was legacy and HAI tech wouldn't fix it.  I tried replacing some SMD pieces to it and never did get it going.  It does boot fine except it doesn't talk to the mothership via the serial port. 

I have also toasted (literally smoke and flames) a brand new OmniPro 2 putting around with the power supply.  It was not a pretty picture.

Just a note about being cautious while playing with your OmniPro 2 panel.

cestor

I just reread your OP and see that my solution doesn't work for a pulse signal with self limiting actuator like you described. The switching logic is correct but the type of relay that I linked to requires power to remain connected to the relay to keep the relay activated.

Maybe another member knows of a device to solve your problem.

Years back, when I was a kid I had a toy train. Thes engines had a special relay that mechanically reversed the polarity of the supply every time the power was removed and re-energised.

If you are dealing with low voltage circuitry you may be able to get your hands on a mechanical self-reversing relay like that. Maybe a hobby shop or ebay?.

Pete - when I say a console, I mean the 33A00-3 - not the omnitouch

Mike, your link is close to what I need, but requires constant power to energise the circuit. 

work2play - that looks close to what I need but it is operated by 2 switches whereas I need the polarity reversed on every subsequent power application. If I combine this dual-coil latching relay with the DPDT relay in Mike's link above should that work? Then I am using the regular DPDT relay to simulate 'switch 1' or 'switch 2' and the dual-coil latching relay in your link to reverse the polarities.

The closest solution I have found is here http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/help-with-controlling-linear-actuator.57475/ but this permanently applies either +ve or -ve voltage to the actuator which I am not sure is good for it, even though it has limit switches. 

Would it be possible to have your pulse signal as input to the omnipro via a simple dry contact relay that opens and closes a zone so that it can handle the logic?

Mike.

mikefamig said:
Would it be possible to have your pulse signal as input to the omnipro via a simple dry contact relay that opens and closes a zone so that it can handle the logic?

Mike.
I don't follow how that would work

I am not sure how it would work either, it just occurred to me but it seems worth thinking about.

I am not familiar with OPII but the elk has a rules programming language that I can use to turn outputs on and off. I could read the relay/zone that is controlled by the pulse signal and then turn on outputs to energize the actuator in the appropriate direction.

One output switching a + polarity power source and and another switching opposite polarity? I think it can work as long as you never turn on both outputs at the same time and you could also use diodes to prevent  them back-feeding each other.

Mike.

EDIT

It sounds good to me in theory....what do you think?

I understand the principle but not sure what the wiring would look like. Also, I want to do it with one output.  

I have built the circuit here http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/help-with-controlling-linear-actuator.57475/  that takes constant power and applies +ve output. When the coil is activated, it switches it to -ve . 

There must be a way of adding another relay to this so that it doesn't require constant power but my electronics knowledge is limited...

Back