Any examples of completed Elk panel builds?

theedudenator

Just wondering the best method to install all the items in the panel.

I have the EZ8 panel with ethernet, databus hub, MSI, power control.

Not sure if there are optimal locations for panel placement.

There are plenty of threads on CT with pictures. Search something like elk install pictures or m1g pictures. My pics are at the link in my sig.

The big variable is whether or not you're using an Elk box and whether or not you use SWG's or lay the boards flat. Personally, I don't see the attraction or wasted real estate appeal of laying the boards flat, but to each their own.

I used SWG to mount the ethernet an serial cards.
I stuck the power supply card flat to the box.

I need to purchase another set of SWG to mount the databus hub.

DELInstallations said:
The big variable is whether or not you're using an Elk box and whether or not you use SWG's or lay the boards flat. Personally, I don't see the attraction or wasted real estate appeal of laying the boards flat, but to each their own.

It depends if you have the real estate available or not. I have a dedicated server room for everything and have the space. Troubleshooting and tweaking are much easier laying the boards flat.

I see lots of variability in the position of the main M1 control board, and the battery.

Battery should be within a certain distance of the controller, IIRC.  Many pro installs have them quite a distance away.  What's the reason behind that recommendation?h

Neurorad said:
I see lots of variability in the position of the main M1 control board, and the battery.

Battery should be within a certain distance of the controller, IIRC.  Many pro installs have them quite a distance away.  What's the reason behind that recommendation?h

The reason is explained in the Elk M1 manual in Appendix F.

The wires from the battery are not power limited and UL requires them to be separated from other wiring by at least 1/4".  Thus, Ellk recommends mounting the battery as close to the M1 as possible to make it easy to maintain the required separation.

But didn't we conclude in previous threads that if you add a fuse then that negates the risk?

In any case, that is probably my biggest regret, if I had to do it over again I would've put the control in the bottom of my can with power leads going south of the control and all other connections going north.

wuench said:
But didn't we conclude in previous threads that if you add a fuse then that negates the risk?

In any case, that is probably my biggest regret, if I had to do it over again I would've put the control in the bottom of my can with power leads going south of the control and all other connections going north.
Modification would void the UL listing, which is something you need to determine if your insurer is going to have an issue with.

That said, going back to the real estate item, without voiding the listing, the next item would be to install a battery can adjacent.

Separation is only going to be .25" or via suitable barrier, UNLESS the cable has the same insulation and voltage rating.......but Elk's statement errs on the cautious side. There are ways to perform what they say is not recommended...but you really need to know what's legal.

Rather odd that the EZ8 panel with metal can it came with won't allow the MSI unit to be mounted with the Elk SEW kit.

The door won't close due to the serial cable plug.

Rather surprised by this since the MSI was made for the EZ8 panel

Back