Elk Navigation panel worth the money?

theedudenator

I still have one location that needs a keypad/panel.

Is the Elk Naviation panels worth the money?
I do have an old Android tablet I could mount to the wall and run from WIFI?
I could access my ISY, which would access the ELK?

Thoughts on this?

I installed a few of these. The navigator panels are nice and easy to use, but the screen is small. I personally find trying arm / disarm the panel quickly is easier with a keypad with physical buttons.

rsw686 said:
I installed a few of these. The navigator panels are nice and easy to use, but the screen is small. I personally find trying arm / disarm the panel quickly is easier with a keypad with physical buttons.

I agree!

I have 2 in my house and am not impressed. Perhaps I'm not using them to their full potential but I think a used wall mounted ipad would have been better

Same here.Using an ipad with eyepad. Also have the Nav in the bedroom. Its OK, screen could be bigger.

Question about using ipads for the controllers... do you still have to have a hardwired control panel on the system someplace, or can you use all iPads?

kirbybaker said:
Question about using ipads for the controllers... do you still have to have a hardwired control panel on the system someplace, or can you use all iPads?

I don't think you HAVE to have a hardwired keypad but I wouldn't rely solely on iPads for security.

drvnbysound said:
I don't think you HAVE to have a hardwired keypad but I wouldn't rely solely on iPads for security.
This would be the gospel. Prudent would have at least a traditional keypad installed somewhere in the house, even if it's in the mudroom or closet.....how many times has iOS or android have an upgrade or FW change that caused other issues. Unless you keep the devices in a vacuum and no connection to the outside world, it's a bad idea to rely on a single generic device for end UI

Back