Sub Woofer Audio Cable - Oh Crap!

ccmichaelson

I think I really screwed up. I pulled 12 gauge speaker wires all over my house for in-ceiling, in-wall speakers as well as subwoofer locations. Was I suppose to use some other type of cable for sub woofers? How do I go from a two wire 12 gauge speaker cable to to RCA plugs? It looks like must A/V receivers use RCA out and most subs use RCA in...

Shielded cable is ususally used with a sub woofer and I think that it is becasue the sub woofer has an audio amplifier in it. Technically the speaker wire can act as an antenna and receive rf radio signals that you can hear in the woofer especially if the woofer was powered on and there was no radio signal being sent to it (audio amp turned off).

If the wall are still open I would probably replace the speaker wire with shielded cable but my money says that it isn't really necessary. I will be interested to see what RAL and others think.

Mike.

Coax is usually used because it's a low, line-level input to the sub, and the sub will amplify the signal, as well as any noise on the line. The coax grounded shield helps to reduce any noise (usually 60 Hz, in homes).

I would try to use the pair of speaker wires first, using adapters. If no noticable hum, you're all set.

If you do notice it, 2 options - pull a new cable (attic above, or crawlspace below?), or use a wireless extender (very commonly used by pros to install surround sound for retrofits).

Not a big problem.

The sub woofers I have have two types of inputs. One for heavy wires from the speakers and R CA Jacks for coax direct from the amp output made for sub woofers. Of course these coax connections are made for the usual 100 mv line levels.

Another option - use a passive subwoofer, fed by a speaker level output from a subwoofer amp located at the equipment.

pete_c said:
@ccmichaelson

Guessing you still have a window of time to revisit your stuff eh?

Nope I'm hosed...  My wires have already been buried by spray foam insulation and walls are sheet rocked.  At the time it seemed logical to pull 12 gauge speaker wire to every speaker location but guess I didn't think through the sub thing.

Throughout my home I created zones (4 speakers + 1 sub) for whole home audio (also have TV viewing areas where I planned to use sub's too).  For each non tv room zone I was planning on purchasing a Sonos Connect AMP, a powered sub (TBD), and 4 speakers (most likely Polk RC60i's).  However, the Sonos amp has an RCA style output for the sub and most sub's have an RCA style input.  What's the likelihood of purchasing an adapter (or splicing the cables to RCA audio plugs) and it would work without issues?  Anyway I could "test" for interference using a tester?

What's the likelihood of purchasing an adapter (or splicing the cables to RCA audio plugs) and it would work without issues?  Anyway I could "test" for interference using a tester?

I do not know.  Guess you can try it. 

Can you get to the wall from below or above or can you reposition the subwoofer location and use cat5e cabling?

Here ran microphone shielded cable from the 2nd floor to the first floor for an AVR to AVR connection many years ago.  It was noisy.  The wire though starts next to the AVR then down to the basement, then up via a chase to the attic and then down to the master bedroom.

I switched over to a catxx to RCA balun and the noise went away.  I don't use it any more these days.  I did also use an cat5e audio balun for a friends dental office.  The run was from the back of the office computer room to the receptionist section.  Probably some 75-100 feet and I never heard any noise on the lines. 

I did also utilize same microphone shielded cable for the subwoofer set up in the family room.  I hear no noise on the subwoofer but it is a short run compared to the basement to 2nd floor run.  Initially too ran speaker wire for a in wall set up and didn't want to cut in to the wall. 

Googling

Can I Run Line Level to a Sub Over Speaker Wire?

First hit was from a 2005 post

Question:

Hi there,

I'll be getting a new subwoofer soon, and I'd like to place it somewhere else in my room, away from my system. There's an unused terminal for in-wall speaker wire there, so it would be great if I could run the line-level output of my receiver to the sub over this speaker wire (using phono-to-bare-wire adapters.) The run would be about 10 feet over 12-gauge wire. I figure the wire comes within 18 inches of some power lines.

Is the lack of shielding likely to cause problems in this application? Or is it just a try-it-and-see situation?

Answers:

I'd say try it and see. Obviously it is not an ideal solution. Part of the problem is that the line out signal is probably high impedance and not well suited to driving a speaker cable properly. A lower impedance signal is much more suited to drive a speaker cable without problems. The fact that you are feeding a sub may work to your advantage since there should be very little high frequency content that will make it through the sub. I'd think most problems with this type of transmission will manifest themselves higher in the spectrum. Of course hum pickup, if any, will be heard through the sub.

Another problem you may experience may be that hanging the speaker cable on the line output may cause problems with the receiver. It is certainly possible that this could pick up rf or other garbage which could get back into the preamplifier's output section and deteriorate the overall sound to some degree. Then again you may not have any problems with this.

This certainly would not be the method I would try, but it may just work. If you try this, please report back and let us know how it worked for you.

=====

If you were using a Rel sub that that has the hook-up that can run off your L & R speaker posts, it could be ideal if you don't pick-up noise in the wall? Couldn't you use the wires to move the signal over to the sub? Couldn't ya?....

=====

With subwoofers, you can quite satisfactorily use a long run of shielded coaxial cable with a converter at each end to match with the RCA connections at the sub and the preamp. I know this is not as convenient as the wiring that is already in your wall, but it is handy and inexpensive.

=====

Btw, if you do have problems with receiver degradation, a possible solution might be to put a small rc network across the bare wire adapter you make. This can be a series resistor on the positive leg followed by a capacitor across the output of the resistor and the negative leg. This will shunt the high frequencies and may lessen crap getting back into the receiver. Normally this would be a bad idea because the highs will suffer, but since there are no highs needed in the sub it may be an option.

The Sonos RCA output is 2 'conductors', the signal and the shield. You would hack an RCA cable, cutting it yourself, or use an adapter, something like this (but not this, it should be a dollar or less)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Philmore-7-ft-RCA-Male-Shielded-Audio-Cable-To-Bare-Wire-Speaker-Subwoofer-/271673422708?nav=SEARCH

How many zones? I've seen seen pretty cheap sub amps, which would be fed by the Sonos RCA line level ouput, and provide speaker level input to a passive subwoofer. You may prefer a passive in-wall subwoofer, for distributed audio.

You haven't stated yet if there is a crawlspace below or attic above, for any zones. It may be very simple to retrofit cables, for some areas.

Neurorad said:
You would hack an RCA cable

How many zones? I've seen seen pretty cheap sub amps, which would be fed by the Sonos RCA line level ouput, and provide speaker level input to a passive subwoofer. You may prefer a passive in-wall subwoofer, for distributed audio.

You haven't stated yet if there is a crawlspace below or attic above, for any zones. It may be very simple to retrofit cables, for some areas.

I've got lots of spare audio cables with RCA plugs I could cut/splice
I already positioned the sub's location such that it would sit on the ground and have AC nearby  I will have around 10 whole home audio zones - about 6 of them will have sub's.
Many zones are on 1st floor no access above cause 2nd floor and 1st sits on slab so I could possibly retro 1 or 2 zones.  

After googling a lot today I stumbled across other options for a hookup using my speaker wires:   Sonos Connect AMP -> cheap amp -> speaker wires -> line level converter -> sub.  That said, I have no idea what "cheap amp" is (or how I would connect speaker wire to it) but I did find line level converters.

Neurorad said:
'Affordable' amps from HTD.

http://www.htd.com/Products/subwoofer-amplifiers

You could spend $100 for each, or $2K. Quite the spread.

You would not have a line level converter, in your signal chain:

Sonos -> sub amp -> speaker wire -> passive subwoofer.

Thx Neurorad - seems odd to have two amps in the equation but if that's what it takes then okay.  However, if I could get away with splicing RCA plugs on each end that would be excellent however I don't have any equipment to test with.  I've also stumbled across a wireless adapter option that would send the signal between the sonos connect amp & the subwoofer - wirelessly but not sure how reliable that would be especially since the distance could be 80 - 100' away and through multiple walls.

You need to tackle each subwoofer individually.

The subwoofer output of the Sonos Connect AMP is line-level, un-amplified, to be used with a powered subwoofer.

Back