Need help on HAI OmniPro II

g13392

Hello All,

New to CocoonTech, and I'm hoping this forum can help me out in any way.  We moved into our house back in 2012, and our house has the HAI OmniPro II home automation system.  I had no idea on how to program the system, and the previous owner gave me some information, but it didn't help much.  So, for the past 3 years, I've been living with whatever setup the previous owner had.

Last week, the interior horn went off (first time hearing the horn), and then stopped after few minutes.  After that, I noticed all the LCD controller was powered off.  I went down to the basement to check out the board, and noticed the the red status LED was blinking rapidly (about 3-4/sec).  I tried rebooting, but the status LED starts blinking about 1/sec, and then starts blinking rapidly after about 6 secs.  I checked the two batteries, and they were measuring about 7-8 volts.  I didn't think bad batteries could have shut the system down, but since they were relatively inexpensive, I replaced them.  But the system still didn't power up.

I noticed there are two transformers, so I tested the outputs of both, and found one of them to be bad.  I ordered another 24VAC 40VA transformer, and when it arrived, I eagerly connected the new transformer.  I flipped the power switch to turn both transformers on, and then the 20A00-21 board started smoking!!!!!  I quickly turned off the power.........and here I am now stuck with a bigger problem.

So I probably need a new board, which would be over $1000, but what is the most likely cause of the events I described?  Did something fail on the board that caused the transformer to fail?  Did the transformer fail first?  What caused the horn to go off?  

Few other questions:
1.  If I replace the board, how do I reprogram the new board, since I was never successful when I first moved in 3 years ago?
2.  Are the 20A04-2 and the 20A05-2 the chips that store the current program?  If so, can I take them out and put it in the new board to get back to where I was?
3.  Is this a DIY? 
4.  If not DIY, who can I call in the Chicagoland area?  Ideally, the original installer would be the best, but I have no idea who that could be.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to Cocoontech g13392.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Leviton OmniPro panel.

Personally I have never seen or read about what you have seen happen to your panel.

I am curious about two transformers that were connected to your panel.  I have not seen that before.

A low battery continous condition can short out the cells and the battery after some time.  The shorting of the battery could have caused your panel problems - damage.

The board you have has a 3 year warranty. 

I would personally call Leviton / HAI support as soon as possible.

Leviton / HAI will repair your panel if it is out of warranty.

Maybe the programming will be intact or can be extracted by Leviton HAI support when you return the panel for replacement or repair.

You can also ask about local technical / repair support in Chicago and installation of replacement/repaired board.

If you are not familiar with the programming and installation of the panel then it will not be a DIY.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

As far as frying the board, my guess is was that you used transformers with 3 connections and maybe wired it incorrectly.

The board might be able to be repaired. I don't think HAI will deal with you directly. I would recommend calling our tech support (214-245-4594) and ask for Trey. Tell him that I suggested you talk to him. We can try to get it repaired. 

To do the programming, you will need to get a software program called PC access. The programming is not difficult.

-Martin

Two transformers are an odd configuration.  For UL there is a requirement for 2 batteries, but to my knowledge not two transformers.   Just how were these two transformers connected and what terminals on the board did each go to?

There is a proper power up sequence to be followed, please check manual or on-line.
1. Disconnect batt+
2. plug in AC
3. remove AC, connect batt+, system should NOT start
4. plug in AC, should now start.
5. unplug AC, system should now continue to run on batt.
6. plug in AC - done

Recall that my original HAI 24VAC transformer came with two terminals. These were the OmniPro 2 package deal transformers.

I liked the Elk 24VAC transformers with 3 terminals (ground was the extra one) so replaced all of my HAI panel transformers, irrigation and HVAC HAI relay board with same.

elktransformer.jpg

I do keep the HVAC HAI relay board 24VAC transformer plugged in to the outlet next to the furnace.

I am wondering now if the 2nd transformer might be for the HAI Omnistat HVAC Relay board?

The wiring on the panel is (from left to right)
#1 ==> earth ground
#2 & #3 24VAC transformer
#4 & #5 are 12VDC switched 1AMP

Do you see a pair of wires on each of the terminals labeled #2 & #3?

Personally here I have smoked (smoke and little flame) one new OmniPro 2 panel connecting the transformer in the dark and connecting the transformer over one terminal. 

Here is a picture of the terminals close up.  There is a sticker on the inside panel door with a diagram showing the connections (well there should be).

24vacopii.jpg

I have an HAI Omnistat Isolation module on the motherboard of my HVAC unit and that is using the same identical 24VAC transformer as the OmniPro 2 panel.

Do you have an HAI Omnistat (new or old one?)

thermostatisolation module.jpg

Thank you all for the quick reply, and my apologies for replying back late.  I'll try to answer some your questions.

The two transformers I had are Amseco XT-2440.  They both do have two prongs, and the one I purchased has the ground prong, but I connected the wires to the two AC end, which gave me about 26-27VAC out.

Only one transformers goes to the 20A00-21 board.  The other one goes to the board mounted below.  The P/N for the bottom board is AG-3330.  This board has the AC ON LED and  STATUS LED.  The transformer that was going to this board is good.  The transformer that went to the 20A00-21 is the one that was replaced.  Does this setup make sense?  What is AG-3330 board?  Is this the HAI Omnistat HVAC Relay board Pete_C mentioned?

The home was built in 2005, and my guess is the HAI OmniPro II system was installed at that time.  So the 3 year warranty, or any warranty would be over.

I did purchase the PC Access SW when I moved in, but I was unsuccessful in communicating to the system.  I gave up after trying for about a month.

I guess I will have to give Leviton a call to see what can be done about the board.

Thanks all, and any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The other one goes to the board mounted below.  The P/N for the bottom board is AG-3330.  This board has the AC ON LED and  STATUS LED.

Looks to be another power supply.  Does it have a battery too?  Could be anything like a CCTV or for some other devices.  Are there terminal strips in it with wires connected to the terminal strip?

Is this the HAI Omnistat HVAC Relay board Pete_C mentioned?

No.

The Omnistat relay board or Isolation module fits over your furnace motherboard.  The Omnistat thermostat connects to this board and the board connects to the furnace motherboard. 

It uses the same type of 24VAC transformer.

You can utilize PC Access via a serial or network connection.

For the network connection the two keys need to be configured in PCA.  You configure the keys via a keypad per the HAI OPII installation manual.  PCA will not connect until you have also manually configured an IP address with the keypad.  To configure the IP and keys you need the master installation 4 number passcode.

Well after all the above now thinking that you could have had a dead short in the batteries cuz the battery cells that are discharged can fuse the cells together.  This does happen when the battery is already dead or really low and you keep charging it.  IE: uses more power and a dead short is a dead short.  Just out of habit here change my batteries every three years typically before they show low voltage.

Justsam, I did follow the power up sequence on the instruction.  So both batteries were unconnected, and then I connected the 24VAC.  This is when the board smoked.  My guess is there was already some type of damaged or short that caused the existing transformer to go bad. And with the new transformer, something shorted and smoked.  Isn't there a fuse of some sort that would blow before the board smokes?

Pete_C,  Thanks for the picture description.  The terminals 2 and 3 are the terminals connected to the 24VAC out from the transformer.  It's the same for AG-3330 board.  Any idea what AG-3330 board does?

Good news (well sort of).

Yeah and the dead shorted discharged batteries would have smoked the board and the transformer.

What else do you see connected to the AG-3330 board?  Does it have a terminal strip with wires connected to it?  (IE: you have the 24VAC transformer plugged in to it).  There has to be something else leaving that panel wire wise.

Think you need to have more posts to be able to upload a picture.

You will see what I attached when you go to more reply options when replying to a message.

Maybe if you upload a picture to microsoft drive or google drive or amazon drive you can post the link here to the picture? 

ctpicture.jpg

Here is the picture for the whole system.  The 20A00-21 board is the top half, and the AG-3330 is the bottom half.  The 24VAC goes to the terminal 2&3 for both.
HAI OPII.jpg

Like Justsam described, the installation manual explains the power up procedure.  It says that after you plug in the AC, the AC ON LED should light up, and within one minute, the STATUS LED should blink at the rate of 1/sec.  If you look at the picture above, the two red LEDs are on the AG-3330 board.  does the 20A00-21 board also have the AC ON and STATUS LEDs? 

As I mentioned before, when the AC power is on, the AC ON LED on the AG-3330 board comes on, and the STATUS blinks at about 1/sec for about 6sec, and then blinks faster after that.  My guess is that this is an indication of failed communication to the 20A00-21 board.....just a thought.

The bottom board looks like another alarm panel.  Interesting that it has three rows of terminals.   The OmniPro board does have status lamps and by each of the communications ports there are two LEDs that blink depending on if they are utilized at all.

Does that white tag on the bottom right make any mention to any sort of alarm company or some name of some company at all?

The two boards could have been talking to each other?

Back