WEBSET crashed web GUI on W8 when sending to thingspeak.com

VI70

I think web GUI crashed after adding WEBSET command to the PLC code. I believe it was just the GUI as it appeared that PLC code was still running as I saw LED turn on/off by the code and when opening GUI I was prompted for user name and password.  I restored access after powering on/off the board.

In the PLC program I have a webset command sending data to thingspeak.com every 12 seconds. This was the only command I added before GUI crashed.  I'm using firmware version 03.03.26.

After being promoted for user name and password I got the following error:

404: File not found
Use WebControl GUI Upload to program web pages

Do you use default user name and password?  You can upload the gui to the board again from the update zip file.  You are using 3.02.26 firmware on a hw rev 2.2.2 board, right?  3.03.x firmware is for hw rev 2.3.x boards.

There is a 3.02.27 firmware just released with temp sensor improvement. There is no change on any other part of the code.

Does thingspeak.com allow anyone to access it?  If possible, we want to test it ourself to see if we can duplicate the problem.

CAI_Support said:
Do you use default user name and password?  You can upload the gui to the board again from the update zip file.  You are using 3.02.26 firmware on a hw rev 2.2.2 board, right?  3.03.x firmware is for hw rev 2.3.x boards.

There is a 3.02.27 firmware just released with temp sensor improvement. There is no change on any other part of the code.

Does thingspeak.com allow anyone to access it?  If possible, we want to test it ourself to see if we can duplicate the problem.

Let me clarify:
- I'm using correct firmware, one you've told me to download when I asked for it.  My board is 2.2.2.
- The board was working fine for a week prior, in a room environment, from 9V 900mA PSU, three 18B20 and DS1307
- My board is working fine after power off/on. 
- For some reason it displayed error 404 when trying to get to the status page.  It did however prompt for user name and password before showing the error.
- Part of the code responsible for blinking LED was working as I saw it on for 2s and off for 10 just as it should be.  However, WEBSET was NOT sending anymore information to thingspeak.com.  It resumed sending data right after power off/on.

For testing, you can crate your own channel at thinkspeak.com.  It's free and was very easy to do.  Here are my URL settings:

URL1: IP: 144.212.80.11:80:api.thingspeak.com; URI: /update?api_key=XXXXXXXXXXX&field1=

where XXXXXXXXXXX is the write key thingspeak assigns for your 'channel' (it's like a password)
field1 is data field defined for the channel

@VI70,
Different hardware board firmware is encoded differently, so that it will not take the wrong firmware.  However, carefully selecting correct firmware like you did is awesome, it saves a lot of trouble.

Login logic and WEBSET PLC execution are all in different part of the firmware.  When you got 404 error, if you recycle the power on board, would that error go away?  The WC8 CPU has very limited RAM, so that when it is busy, sometimes it could not respond to the HTTP request, reducing the pace of network related activities, it could help operating smoothly.

Thanks for the login information, we will test it out and get back to you on that.

@VI70
 In your notification setup, what is your user ID and password field, or should that field left empty?
We are testing this now

@VI70

I set up a new board and loaded PLC code, attached DS1307 module, also setup ThingSpeak.com channel.
I did not see the problem of GUI crash.
However, ThingSpeak.com is really nice site, drawing a great graph with WEBSET updated temperature.
I will keep the board running for sometime to see if we can have any problem.  The board is running 3.3.25 firmware with one DS1822-par on temp sensor assigned to both T1 and T2.

@VI70,

We have it run overnight from yesterday morning, it has been working fine. 
We noticed when "web polling" enabled in general tab, it sometimes buffer overrun.  Once I set the web polling disabled, it did not miss a beat from the report on ThingSpeak.com.

@VI70,

Please download the new firmware just released to see if that fixed issue you reported.  We have tested running for a week non-stop and it works fine.

This ThingSpeak.com is a great site, and it is also free.  It is also seems pretty easy to use, create an account for free, then  from its API setting generate a WRITE API key,
define at least a channel in your account, you can define a lot of channels.

Then on WebControl notification screen, go to URL setup section to enter at least one

URL1: 144.212.80.11:80:api.thingspeak.com /update?api_key=YOUR_API_WRITE_KEY&field1=

leave password section empty.  When you call in your PLC
WEBSET  URL1    T1

this will send the data to the ThingSpeak.com site, then you can manipulate it on that site.

Back