Transom window over door

Phantom20

How do you handle mounting a wired recessed magnetic contact switch when a door has a transom window directly above it?  The window is the full width of the door. There are no sidelights. Is there another type of switch that would be better suited for this scenario? I am looking for something as hidden as possible. Thanks.

I'd prefer to put them on the non-hinge side if you do a magnetic sensor, so the contact is triggered with little opening of the door. If you have to do the hinge side, I'd go with a plunger style contact instead.

Thanks. I think I will go as high as I can on the non-hinged side with a magnetic switch. Another site mentioned that going magnetic on the hinged side requires the door to be opened fairly wide before the switch would be triggered. I am trying to avoid plungers.

Here contractor prewired to the central closet and I terminated the wires for the OmniPro 2 panel. 

The wires are inside of a hollow wood frame above the doors.  The floor is all tile / cement.

The switches are in the middle on the edge of each of the doors.  The alarm installer (obi wan LV cabler)  left the holes capped and I just removed the caps and wired there.  I had to put magnets on the tops of both doors which was easy peasy stuff.

The LV wires go to the attic then to the central wiring closet.

transomwindow.jpg

Door is on first floor; control panel will be in 2nd floor closet. Also, this is new construction and the drywall is not up yet.

Since there's no sidelites, you would just drill sideways into the stud bay, no? Contacts don't need to be installed up/down.

Back