Ballpark Costs & Effort to move to AlarmRelay Cellular monitoring?

Sendero

I have an Elk M1 that I've been using with NextAlarm for 5+ years. However, I'm looking to add backup cellular monitoring and also probably move to AlarmRelay as I've heard their monitoring costs are less.

I see mention of needing to add a Uplink 4500EZ (along with extra power supply). What is required to 'activate' that 4500EZ with cellular service? Can I just plug in a freedompop sim and use its included free data? How much data is typically used in a month for the monitoring?

What am I looking at in terms of total cost?
4500EZ - $120 @ Amazon
Power supply?? I see the Elk P983 for $44+shipping. But I don't need the box. My ELK install location should be fine for cell reception so I was just planning on installing the 4500EZ next to the Elk Box. Just looking for basic power supply & battery. I have plenty of space in the Elk box to put them in there.

Monthly costs
What is cost for the service for 4500EZ?
What is the cost for AlarmRelay to add on cellular in addition to internet based monitoring? Their site seems to hide any detailed pricing info.

How hard is install of the 4500EX?

Thanks in advance!

If you want a power supply without the can that the P983 includes, just buy the Elk P624.  That's the same board that is used in the P983.  Another alternative would be an Altronix SMP3.  You can find them on eBay for $20 or less.

I wouldn't mount the 4500EZ right next to the M1, as there is the potential for RF interference. Better to locate it at least 6 to 10 feet away.

TurboSam said:
You're also going to need an M1XSP for the Uplink 4500EZ (but not the Uplink 4530EX).  

It's true that the 4530EX doesn't need a serial connection, but I believe the 4530EX differs from the 4500EZ as it is intended as the primary communicator, and not a backup for a POTS line.

The 4500EZ will also require a special cable to make the serial connection to the M1XSP.

Alarm Relay recommended the IP Datatel CDMA Cat or Bat to me (cheaper monitoring). The Cat is cellular only and the Bat is IP and cellular.

I just installed this and it could not have been easier.

I don't have much running on my Elk M1, so I was able to power the CAT directly from the Elk to get back up battery.

The Cat uses dial capture, so I connected a total of 4 wires. 2 for power and 2 for phone.

I got the CAT for $150 online, it comes in its own enclosure.

I called Alarm Relay at noon and had a service tech call me at 4 to put in the correct Contact ID codes.

The IP Datatel CDMA Cat or Bat units are Verizon and surprisingly are cheaper monitoring than the Uplinks that use GSM (additional $5 per mo approx).

I paid $15.95 per month for cellular burglary, fire, panic, etc.

You prepay the year $15.95 x 12, plus one time $30 setup fee. Total of $221.40 plus the $150 for the CAT off eBay.

Setup took about 25 minutes and I was very happy and surprised at how quickly the system reported a violation to Alarm Relay. This is my first Alarm so I expected the old school modem sound and 20-30 seconds to connect.

To my surprise when the alarm goes off and they saw the violation in 5-10 seconds.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

RAL said:
It's true that the 4530EX doesn't need a serial connection, but I believe the 4530EX differs from the 4500EZ as it is intended as the primary communicator, and not a backup for a POTS line.

Good point.  I've been looking at the 4530EX, and forgot it was a primary communicator.  

To make a very long story short, I was about ready to go with Alarm Relay for dual path monitoring and then found out they will only provide self-monitoring, and not monitored, services in Seattle (evidently because of license and false alarm fee issues), so I've now been focusing on just cellular monitoring with other providers and have been looking at the 4530EX and the TG-1 Express. 

Wow, thats good to know! I'm on the Eastside and will check with them to see if I'm in that area excluded. 
TurboSam said:
Good point.  I've been looking at the 4530EX, and forgot it was a primary communicator.  

To make a very long story short, I was about ready to go with Alarm Relay for dual path monitoring and then found out they will only provide self-monitoring, and not monitored, services in Seattle (evidently because of license and false alarm fee issues), so I've now been focusing on just cellular monitoring with other providers and have been looking at the 4530EX and the TG-1 Express. 

@Sendero, little did I know you were in the PNW when I responded to your OP!

In any event, the problem seems to be the City of Seattle.  I'm not aware of any surrounding communities that have the same license and fee provisions Seattle does, but you can check with AR.

I was going down exactly the same path you are on looking for dual path monitoring, and I had settled on the CDMA BAT with AR (as described above) as my preferred choice.  I started to give AR the enrollment information, and as soon as my monitoring location came up, I got the bad news.  I have had two subsequent conversations with AR about possible solutions, but so far, no luck. 

I'm trying to find the BAT online at ~$150 but only seeing $180+. Any rec's on lower pricing? 

I'll call AR tomorrow to confirm my location can be monitored. Also reminds me I think I need to renew my alarm registration. 

Keep in mind, the IPDatatel units are NOT UL listed communication devices. Opens up another liability if you're going the pro monitored route, especially if you're dealing with a required/mandated system or your insurer is offering discounts for a monitored system. That's part of the reason why they're cheaper.

Good info here.  Been thinking about changing my home Alarm Relay connection over to cellular.

FYI - I changed my business to Alarm Relay two years ago and the service has been fantastic.  I've had two false alarms for different reasons, but the response and follow up from Alarm Relay was far and above what I ever got from Protection (n)One.

Sendero said:
So much info! 

So, easiest may be to just go with http://www.amazon.com/Uplink-Sec-Numerex-Solutions-PRIMARY/dp/B00IIVE7GQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454555392&sr=8-1&keywords=Uplink+4530EX and have it as primary without using net based monitoring at all? 

It depends on what you are comfortable with.  The 4530EX will give you a cellular link with no backup.  If that's good enough for your purposes, then that's fine.

Some people prefer having two methods of communication, like POTS and cellular, for reliability.  If there is a problem with one, then they have an alternate communication path.  But if you don't have a POTS line to start with, that doesn't help much.  In that case, an internet + cellular communicator like the IpDatatel BAT CDMA might be the way to go.

Of course, the reliability of the 3 communications methods will vary based on where you live.  So factor that into your choice.

In my neighborhood (i.e. the boondocks), POTS is about as close to 100% reliable as you can get.  Cellular is pretty good, but certainly not on par with POTS.  And internet service from the cable company has outages on a daily basis.

Yeah, the problem is that, for the DIYer,  there are not a lot of monitoring services that will handle the internet connection from the Elk's M1EXP--much less dual path monitoring.  Elk is supposedly coming out with a dual path solution, but who knows when (or how much).  

As RAL said, you have to be comfortable with your chosen path(s), and while I would never be comfortable with only internet (especially given the necessary power backup for modem, router, switches, etc.), I'm getting more comfortable with cellular.  

In addition to the 4530EX, I'm also looking at the Telguard TG-1 Express.  There were two threads, here and here, in 2011 detailing the pros and cons, and there was an extended discussion of whether the TG-1 and M1 combination would provide full Telguard interactive services .  DEL detailed the wiring necessary to make it work for full interactive services in the second thread, and lo and behold, Telguard now has an official Installation Guide for the M1Gold, so you might want to look at that too.  

I have been using Alarm Relay with internet monitoring over my M1XEP and a Uplink 4530EX as cellular backup.  As mentioned it is $5.00 more a month for the Uplink vs the IP BAT but I felt more comfortable going with the Uplink product.  Alarm Relay has been great for me, easy to setup and responsive.  We have a bad habit of accidentally setting the alarm off and every time the phone is ringing from the central station within seconds.

Back