Keypads etc.

kaohao

Is there a protocol for placement of keypads? For example, is there one on each floor, one in the entry, one in the bedroom? Also, are smartphone apps etc. taking the place of actual keypads as the technology develops?

I would say that you should place keypads wherever it is most convenient for your lifestyle.  Often, keypads are placed in the master bedroom, since it's common to arm the system when going to bed, and near the entry doors that you use most often. 

In my house, I have a keypad near the front door, which family members almost never use, because that's the door guests tend to use.  So think about those sorts of situations, too.

I don't use a smartphone app to arm and disarm when I'm at home, since I don't carry the phone around with me at home.  But that's just me. Everyone has different habits.

I also wouldn't rely on a smart phone app to be the sole control point for my alarm system. When your alarm goes off at 2am and wakes you - do you really want to be fumbling with your phone and loading an app to get a sense of what's going on? Physical keypads definitely have a purpose and I can walk right up to mine and get an instant status of what's going on and what's caused the system to alert - kitchen window, etc. without having to locate an app AND wait for it to load AND connect to the system.

Having said that, I do have an app for my Elk system. On my keypad I've defined one of my F-keys to open my garage door. I've often loaded the app from the yard to open the garage door or perform other non-life/safety functions. I've also used it to arm the system when I've been out of town and my wife called or texted me that she had forgot to arm the system when she left. So yeah, convenience certainly plays a key in how I use an app with my system.

Certainly agree with RAL on placement. MBR is a no-brainer for me. The other points of entry are relative to what entry points you use most often; sure, you could place one near every exterior door, but that's probably not really necessary.

I try to locate keypads where they can't be seen through windows from outside. Don't want the bad guys to be able to see if the system is armed or not.

42etus said:
I try to locate keypads where they can't be seen through windows from outside. Don't want the bad guys to be able to see if the system is armed or not.
I try to put a keypad where it IS seen from outside the front door. No better deterrent. Burglars know about the fake signs, and fake keypads with the flashing red LED, but have a real one with lighted keyboard buttons, and they know its real. You can cover the LED if your really worried about an armed or disarmed indicator, assuming they even know what the colors on YOUR panel mean. Usually easier just to move on to the next house. 

The Elk can sleep the keypad after arming if you don't want the status to be viewable.   Also, when I first setup my panel lots of people recommended putting a keypad close on at the panel.  I ignored that advice after years of running up and down stairs I finally put a keypad down there for convenience sake.    

No matter what you do, phone or keypad wise it is good to have at least one real keypad.

Here utilize one keypad and multiple wired touchscreens.  They are all easy to get to. 

Personally here all of the cell phones are off when in the house and the tablets go on when used and off when not used.

The master bedroom (even though there is a couch, television there and AVR) is mostly 99% of the time used for sleeping only.

Also, are smartphone apps etc. taking the place of actual keypads as the technology develops?

Yes as now folks sleep with their tethered phones / tablets and answer face book questions or tweets at 3AM because that is more important than sleeping these days for many.

ano said:
I try to put a keypad where it IS seen from outside the front door. No better deterrent. Burglars know about the fake signs, and fake keypads with the flashing red LED, but have a real one with lighted keyboard buttons, and they know its real. You can cover the LED if your really worried about an armed or disarmed indicator, assuming they even know what the colors on YOUR panel mean. Usually easier just to move on to the next house. 
More importantly, I don't want the bad guys to see if it is disarmed. Like when we may be in the back yard or working in our detached shop. Every situation is different.

42etus said:
More importantly, I don't want the bad guys to see if it is disarmed. Like when we may be in the back yard or working in our detached shop. Every situation is different.
You can cover the LED if you fear it, but how many people who are breaking into your home understand exactly what the green, red, blue light means for the type of alarm you have?  My guess, very very few if any. Its just easier to move on to the next house. 

As a pro who put this stuff in for years, in a residential application, I'm in the realm of who cares if the keypad is viewable from outside or not....unless someone has inherent knowledge of your particular system, it's easier for them to move along somewhere easier. The only time that would be the case is if either someone was very brazen or had prior knowledge of the house/system.

A commercial application, where people are able to case the system and view easier, it's more likely for someone to use the keypad to determine what's going on.

UI's should be located for convenience first. Hell, I've got 5 in my own house just because of that.

I would really steer away from the usage of apps and smart whatevers as the primary arming and disarming interface due to the inherent nature of firmware and other limitations (app crashes or freezing anyone?) Even on the fabled fruit platform, there are MANY instances of apps not working with the later iOS until there's recoding done. Happens often with my corporate apps. On the other platform, there's plenty of orphaned apps or development that just halts (happened with the app I was using for my M1).

I'm sure Pete and the other HAI guys can comment about the HAI world and integrated TS and the FW issues that develop.

Back