Need some setup help

lemahoney08

I am very new to ELK security and trying to setup my first system. Want to run some things by you guys to make sure I am not hooking something up wrong and fry my elk. 

Where I am at. I have 3 door sensors, one motion, and 2 keypads for right now. All wires are wired all the way from the sensor/keypad to the panel. The keypad and motion wires are cat5e. One keypad is standard keypad and one is touchscreen navigator.

My question. At the first keypad, black white green and red wires get connected to the corresponding cat5 wires. Then the blue and brown wires are not used as I do not have anything else on that line? Or do I need this EOL resistor, and is that a true resistor connected in the wires or is it a jumper on the keypad or main board?

Then the second keypad gets setup the same way at the keypad? Do I just put both wires into the same terminals on the main panel? Any special jumpers need set?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for being novice. I have read and re read the manual but it just is not clear to me.  

Page 11 of the M1  installation manual has a wiring diagram for the keypad.

At the keypad:

red connects to VK+
black connects to NEG or common
green connects to dataA + dataA1(return path)
white connects to dataB + dataB1 (return path)

If you have only the one keypad device on that leg of  the data bus and plan to never add anything more to it then the return path wires are not needed. They are used to return the signal to the elk panel location where they can be connected to the next device on the bus. This can be another keypad, expansion board, etc.

Mike.

EDIT

Termination is set by a jumper on the keypad.

So for the second keypad, you hook it up the same way on the keypad side? Then put both keypads corresponding wires into the correct terminals on the main panel board? Because there are more than one keypad what should the jumpers be set as?

lemahoney08 said:
So for the second keypad, you hook it up the same way on the keypad side? Then put both keypads corresponding wires into the correct terminals on the main panel board? Because there are more than one keypad what should the jumpers be set as?

With just 2 keypads, as long as you don't have any other data bus devices, such as input or output expanders, or an M1XSP, then you can connect just the 4 wires to each keypad, and then connect the 4 wires at the other end of each cable to the data bus connector on the M1.  So each terminal on the M1 databus connector ends up with 2 wires.

As Mike explained, you should put a terminator jumper on each of the keypads.  And you should not have a jumper on JP3 on the M1.

Elk has some good training videos that you might find helpful.  The Basic Training video has a good explanation of the data bus wiring staring at about 30:30 into the video.   But the full video is well worth watching to learn about other features of the M1.

If you have not installed the system yet then i recommend that you hook up the M1 panel, a keypad, a couple of sensors and a speaker on the work bench. Then you can play with setup procedures through the keypad and with Elkrp software. It also proves that all of the partsare good and you'll have a bit of confidence when you do the real install.

I did this myself and recommend it to any first-time installer.

Mike.

Back