avr controlled by omnipro panels

elmango

Have someone have connected an Avr to omnipropanel and also control some futures like on/off  vol up/dwn

I've thought about doing this several times.  There's two different ways to do it.  Either basic serial commands to an AVR for simple functions or you could emulate one of the supported sound systems and get much more control.  To emulate a supported system, you would basically need to write a middle-ware piece that would receive commands from the OPII and translate those commands to equivalent AVR commands (and vice-versa).

No, I don't have full setting/programming steps.  I simply outlined a way that it could be accomplished.

The AVR commands are much to complex for an Omni to control directly, but as mentioned and intermediary box could be created to do it.  For example, I use this box to talk with a Beta Brite LED Sign.  http://www.industrologic.com/ss51bbccdesc.htm

the Omni sends basic ASCII commands to this converter, and they are reformated into what a Beta Brite needs. I've written programs that send data to these signs, so I know its pretty complex.  You might want to contact this company, because I know they build these type of things. I don't know how complex the AVR protocol is, but it can't be much worse than a Beta Brite.

Basic on/off and volume of an AVR could easily be controlled by the built in serial handling of the OPII.   Most amps use pretty basic ASCII commands.

Use a BitWise Controller works seamlessly with omni pro II
Comes in 3 versions, BC4, BC2 and BC1
BC-4: Limited functions
BC-2: Most functions

CJW-PIC

Along the same lines, does anyone have an AVR that accepts commands via serial that they recommend?  I am not an audiophile, but I do want to be able to control it via something other than IR.  This feature is easy to find on high end AVRs, but I was looking for one more budget friendly.

I really like the Denon amps for both serial and TCP control.  If you want to save some money, you can always look at a used Denon like the 3805 that would have serial and only cost $100-$200.  It wouldn't have all the features of a new model, but the sound quality is great and would have serial control.

Thanks for the recommendation in a used Denon.

After digging around a little bit it looks like a Pioneer VSX-45 Elite might be good for integration. Best Buy has it on sale for $299 which isn't bad.

elmango said:
Have someone have connected an Avr to omnipropanel and also control some futures like on/off  vol up/dwn
I guess I'm a little late to this party.  But I have a Proof of Concept (POC) solution that you may be of interest to you.  My github repo has a project  name CECJOmniLinkII https://github.com/BobS0327/CECJOmniLinkII This would be the middleware referred to by JonW.  It is a Java implementation that interfaces an OP2 controller with a CEC enabled device.  This middleware would be installed on a RPI2 and the RPI2 to be connected to the HDMI port of a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) enabled device.  The POC code only uses two console buttons, one to turn CEC device on and another to turn a CEC device off. But this POC code can be very easily modified to allow audio control, channel selection etc.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of a CEC enabled Denon AVR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRfAHUG6oY

Back