zwave setup: alternatives to VRUSB-1US USB installer tool?

zzazzles

Hi all,

I have an HAI OmniProII system, and a bunch of Z-Wave door locks that I'd like to set up with my OPII.

I know I'll need:
-Leviton VRC0P-1LW Vizia RF+ plug-in serial interface module.
-Leviton VRUSB-1US Vizia RF+ USB installer tool.

My question is, do I HAVE to use the VRUSB-1US USB installer tool, or would any alternatives work? Does the tool only communicate with the Z-Wave devices for setup, or does it talk to the serial interface module too?

The reason I ask is because the VRUSB-1US seems to have horrific reviews, and Leviton says that the tool doesn't work with Windows 8 or 10 (only Windows 7). However, I really can't conveniently get to a Windows 7 machine. 

Thanks!

Hopefully others will comment.  You need a programming device (primary interface) to do setup but also to configure the serial interface to the network, and set associations for status to go back to the OmniPro.

I think some others have used a different primary than the VRUSB.

zzazzles said:
My question is, do I HAVE to use the VRUSB-1US USB installer tool, or would any alternatives work? Does the tool only communicate with the Z-Wave devices for setup, or does it talk to the serial interface module too?

The reason I ask is because the VRUSB-1US seems to have horrific reviews, and Leviton says that the tool doesn't work with Windows 8 or 10 (only Windows 7). However, I really can't conveniently get to a Windows 7 machine. 

Thanks!
While VRUSB-1US is pretty abysmal tool, I think that's the easiest way to configure and maintain your  zwave network if you need to use VRC0P.  With VRUSB-1US, you wander around the house because you need to be beside the device you need to register and include every zwave unit thus building a network. Upon completing your travel, you'll need to copy the newly created network to VRC0P.

VRUSB-1US performs the function of so-called primary controller while VRC0P is a secondary one.  You need to use VRUSB-1US only to build/modify the net and transfer the configuration to VRC0P.

I tossed the VRUSB, and only use a SmartThings as primary. So do several others.

Curious if you can make the VRCOP the secondary to the SmartThings device?

Today the VRCOP is a secondary controller to the Leviton Vizia RF+ remote control.  Testing a bit I was able to make the Vizia remote a secondary to the Homeseer 3 Z-Wave controller.  I couldn't though transfer the data from the secondary controller to the VRCOP secondary controller.

Here goofing around a bit utilizing the Homeseeer Zee-2 Z-Wave Plus network primary controller I was able to send its data over to the VRCOP. 

I did have to put the VRCOP right next to the Zee-2 Z-Wave Plus conroller to upload the data. 

The RPi2 with the GPIO Z-Wave Plus card is in the attic and the VRCOP is in the basement of the two story home.

HS2-ZWave.jpg

I've posted a "How To" on the CQC Forums regarding using the SmartThings Hub as a primary and the VRC0P as a secondary with CQC.  95% of the instructions would apply to anyone.  Documentation was a collaborative effort between me, jkmonroe and ivb.

-Ben

batwater said:
I've posted a "How To" on the CQC Forums regarding using the SmartThings Hub as a primary and the VRC0P as a secondary with CQC.  95% of the instructions would apply to anyone.  Documentation was a collaborative effort between me, jkmonroe and ivb.

-Ben

You posted it just in time!

Thanks for all the input. I have my initial setup done using VRUSB + RFI, but now it has stopped working. Not sure what's going on. It's indeed quite a frustrating and awful tool, so maybe I'll try using smartthings.

I'm giving z-wave a crack here.  
Will the Installer tool work with non-Leviton devices?

I bought:
-Leviton VRC0P-1LW Vizia RF+ plug-in serial interface module.
-Leviton VRUSB-1US Vizia RF+ USB installer tool.

The Leviton Installer Tool software seems a bit non-intuitive, but I think I got it somewhat figured out.  At least enough to detect the Serial Interface.   Apparently you must be VERY close to the tool for this to detect.

For my sandbox, I bought a GE 12724 z wave dimmer.  Seems to work as a physical device.  However I can't get the installer tool to see it.  What could I be doing wrong?

--Russ

Yes, the VRUSB will work with non-Leviton devices. I have a combination of Leviton and GE/Jasco devices installed.

It also works with Windows10 if you have the latest version of RFIT installed.

I typically used my laptop along with a USB extension cable; the cable allowed me to get the VRUSB device right beside the switch or dimmer.

With the GE device, you should be able to: 1) click the INCLUDE button in RFIT, 2) press the switch/dimmer (either on/off; opposite of current state; I typically start with it OFF, and turn them ON). You should see a small BLUE status ICON at the bottom left of RFIT when the communication handshake takes place. It's only displayed for probably 1-2 seconds.

I *always* do a factory reset, then exclude, then include. With RFIT that seemed to make it smoother.

What is RFIT and how do I know if it's installed?
My Win10 laptop seems to run the installer tool.

Sorry, all these acronyms have my head buzzing.

--Russ

Bzncrewjr said:
What is RFIT and how do I know if it's installed?
My Win10 laptop seems to run the installer tool.

Sorry, all these acronyms have my head buzzing.

--Russ
The spawn of Satan known as the leviton RF installer tool. (thing you're using)

IVB said:
The spawn of Satan known as the leviton RF installer tool. (thing you're using)

Aahh.    I hear that a lot.   Amazon reviews, everyone seems to hate this thing.   Why?    Or am I now experiencing the why?  It doesn't like to "see" devices.
f you don't use this USB Installer, what other options are there?  I can still return it and get something else.

I'm using the installer tool software Vers 1.1.4.1  on my Win 10 laptop (latest updates to the OS).   I'm in the "Installation Checklist" section / (Dimmers and Switches) and I click the blue "Another Dimmer/Switch" button.  This pops up the "Include Device" dialog where I click "Ok" and it waits.....
Then I put the installer (on a USB extension) up to the switch and click on/off and nothing happens.  NOTHING.   The light turns on and off but software does nothing.

Tried it on my Win 7 desktop, but it's too far from the switch.

Is there a magic button to press or trial and error?

-Russ

The only device(s) that I've seen that behavior from are Kwikset deadbolts that were already joined to a network. I first had to manually EXCLUDE the device.

1) Click the EXCLUDE button just below the menu bar at the top of RFIT.
2) Toggle the switch/dimmer.

This process should, basically, tell the device to drop all information known to it regarding the network it's associated with.

Then, INCLUDE it to your network as you've been trying to do. I was told that the deadbolts would not learn (INCLUDE) into a new network if they were already associated with one.

Back