Weatherproof reed switch

nieldm

Hi,

I would like to install a open/close sensor on my garden gate, about 60m from the house. Range-wise it is just about possible to use a 46A00-1 but it is virtually impossible to seal it well enough to prevent water and/or insects from finding their way inside. I have also tried installing the sensor unit in a weatherproof box but that (a) reduces the range so that it doesn't connect and (b) doesn't work anyway because the stock magnet isn't strong enough. Sure I could install a stronger magnet, but I think something a little more robust is called for.

Has anyone installed a reed switch on a garden gate in this way? I am happy for it to be wired, I can get cable to it but obviously it needs to work with an Omni IIe.

Any and all thoughts welcome!

Thanks, that wasn't on the UK Amazon site, or else my searching skill are off today!

I currently only have the HAI Wireless Receiver installed and along with a Crestron InfinetEX gateway and a couple of others I am reluctant to install another gateway unless I absolutely have to. Definitely an option though.

I use plain-old GE wireless sensors outside with the GE wireless receiver and they have been running for over 10 years. I use these sensors on gates, sheds, you name it.  It not only rains here, but we get very hot temps in the summer. The batteries last their typical 10 years. It doesn't go much below 30 here, so I can't speak to that. I just take a large glob of silicon sealer and seal anything with a hole or seam. Eventually when you have to change the battery, you can peel off the silicon, change the battery, and repeat. If I do have to replace them, they are cheap enough.

nieldm said:
I would like to install a open/close sensor on my garden gate, about 60m from the house.  I am happy for it to be wired, I can get cable to it but obviously it needs to work with an Omni IIe.

Any and all thoughts welcome!

Since you mentioned you don't want to add another wireless receiver, the Ion Micra window sensor would be a better choice and can be easily sealed with silicone or Sikaflex. The Ion has a very long 150m wireless range and a small footprint as well plus will work with your existing HAI receiver, so you can skip having to buy another receiver too. The Ion has a temperature range of -12° to 49°C, suited to the UK. You want the HAI window sensor, not door sensor, as door sensor will leak. I don't remember if the Ion wireless frequency is approved for UK so you might contact them to verify any import regulations.

If you want to use the 46A00-1 and you don't mind replacing it every few years when the batteries die, you can use Sikaflex Pro Select Self Leveling Horizontal to "pot" the circuit in the 46A00-1. That type of Sikaflex is non-conductive and will seal the unit permanently. Allow it to dry completely before use so it doesn't sag and the Sikaflex will not interfere with the signal range either. There are also epoxies you can use or actual potting compound sold through electronics dealers but the Sikaflex is less likely to break the board as potting compound can shrink and cause stress on components. Frankly the permanence of the potting process means you can't change the batteries so isn't really a good solution but since you already have one, just throwing out this idea too....

For wired, there are many weatherproof magnetic reed switches, which could be attached at the hinge, at the gate closure, or back of the gate frame. You can find automobile models (magnetic hood switch), or similar to a garage door alarm switch. There are also button type switches (pin switch, plunger, or latching) that trigger when the gate is open that can be hard wired as well. 

The choice is yours but for wired be sure to put a lightning arrestor on the wire near the Omni as potential energy is more likely to build up with a wired sensor at more than 10m length when outdoors.

Thank you, these have been most helpful and informative responses and very much appreciated. If I can't make it work now, I don't deserve to own the equipment!

As mentioned above, they make plenty of wired sensors designed for outdoor / gate-type usage that are long range and waterproof.  Combine that with the fact that there are many wireless transmitters available that support external contacts, and this should be a piece of cake.  

Having the lead from the wired sensor gives you some placement flexibility in the transmitter - you can stick it somewhere less exposed now, or you can opt to put it in a little pelican waterproof box that, as long as it's plastic, shouldn't affect range much.

I found the Ion Micra offered by a UK supplier, which seems like the path of least resistance (or RF....). I very much appreciate all the responses.

Now on to a water depth sensor for my rainwater harvesting tank.......

Please let us know how the micra works out for you.  I use them throughout my house and wouldn't consider them for outdoor use.  They're not designed for it, and I don't personally think they'll handle the wide gaps typical of a gate - but only you know the specifics of your environment.

Back