POE cameras across multiple buildings in complex and the challenges associated with it.

Kanoonoo

I have been given the joyous responsibility of finding a good security solution for my HOA and I have been looking around for a good option and have run into some issues and could use some help.

I have a couple issues:
1-There are five buildings, each with 4 units in them, I would like to try and put at least one camera on each. But there is not power run to each...only two. We cannot afford to run power to every building. Any ideas?

2-We would like to store the NVR/DVR outside in a secure box that is weatherproof, I have a couple NEMA enclosures in mind, but was hoping someone here might have some ideas.

3-I am not stuck really on the idea of using an NVR or DVR system actually, I rather like Netamo's Presence camera, but it isn't out yet. Does anyone know of any good alternative modern solutions? I just feels like NVR and DVR solutions are really old and there should be something new. Could be wrong though.

4-If I did go with an NVR, does anyone know of any that have a touchscreen built into theNVR and that can be put in an enclosure for outdoor and survive?

Thank You,
Kanoonoo

1. This is going to be an issue. The cost to go solar or battery and expect performance and continuous recording at those levels is going to require an expensive solar and battery solution, which is going to probably be more expensive than bringing in electrical. Other option is to run POE extenders and wire as nodes, but you're still looking at installing cabling. Distance is going to be your issue, same as power.

2. Hoffman enclosure, but the enclosure is going to need heat/ventilation. Network hardware should be hardened if you want reliability. The NVR is going to be the weak link in the enclosure. I'd suggest getting it inside wherever possible.

3. You need to define your budget and performance desired first, then you can pick the product. How you're intending on viewing and recording the video is the deciding factor. If this is intended to document incidents, then you're going to need a real recording solution. If this is to look in at the dog and plants, not so much. A NVR is no different than a DVR with the exception of how the video gets brought into the unit. They're really not old. Robust and reliable vs. cloud based and dependent on 3rd or 4th party to get to the end user is going to be asking for trouble.

4. You're really not going to find too many touchscreen based units out there. Attached monitors, yes, but any UI, it defeats the design. I only know of Speco. Outdoor, you're looking at hardened equipment, and honestly, that's what needs to be considered in your budget. I don't think your HOA is going to like the prices.

I specified a monitoring system for my HOA and my advice to you is [Monty Python Quote] RUN AWAY...RUN AWAY [/Monty Python Quote]

You will never be able to justify the true costs of the system to the Board and will be constantly scrutinized with every aspect of the project from the way the cameras are mounted, the lack of understanding performance limitations (why can't they capture that person running in the dark), to not appreciating how much contracting services are in terms of installation, etc...

Not only that, when it comes to getting images captures from the camera, this will be your responsibility and it gets messy, especially when something really happens such as a theft, etc...  You will get people saying "It happened sometime over the long weekend while we were away", and you will find yourself wasting countless hours trying to search through video captures.  

They will want to go with the cheapest contractor and usually that results in people that don't have a clue as to how to truly set rules up for accurately capturing images correctly.  Again, you will find yourself getting samples of how the system doesn't work, and hours trying to explain to the contractor how to properly configure 'their' system.

I even had the case where they 'selected' another camera from the one I wanted because the vendor talked them into it (showed them a live video of an empty office in the day, with perfect lighting, and no people...the HOA member said it 'looked like a really good system' and went with it).  I only found out once the system was up and I looked at the camera and noted it wasn't the one I wanted.

They won't understand how to get the images or live view with their computers and you will find yourself teaching them how to do this, possibly even installing the software for them (I even had this covered with the contract and still had to do this).

Again, not trying to thwart your goal, but seriously consider the consequences of trying to be the good Samaritan on this one!

Back