Wire for future power blinds

Bzncrewjr

What is the best way to run cables to these windows for future blinds?
I'm assuming a power line and a Cat5 cable at a minimum.   

How/where should I run these?
I have a bank of 5 windows.  I don't want to run 10 wires.  
Can they all share the same power and data?  
If so, where/how should I terminate these?   
Should I daisy chain the run to each window and what side of the window should it exit sheetrock?

I have no idea how this all works and would like to plan for automation to close the blinds each night.

2lncky1.jpg

Most shades/blinds can be operated by DC power, so you can run 16/2 cable to the corner. As for control, it depends on the type of motor. You can use one cable for RS485 motors, or you may need separate 3 wires for each dry contact motor. If you plan on a single shade for the entire window, you may need 110V motor for that size window. Another option is to use a drape rod.

Because there are many ways to wire shades, I think it's a good idea to pick a manufacturer now.

I went with Somfy based motorized blinds with a remote.  A 24V based motor was recommended to me based on my available wiring and bang for buck.  It would be best to pick a manufacturer and go from there to determine your exact requirements as suggested above.  Failing that, my blind installer said that generally, they use 18/3 or 16/3 home run wiring back to the machine room / breaker box area.  The blind wiring generally goes to the left side of the top corner or the window looking at it from the inside.  My wiring contractor refused to drill a hole through the window frame for some reason.... maybe warranty, so I had to do that part myself after the fact.

Good luck!

Steve

Looking at manufacturers, these blinds get spendy.   We have 5 windows in the pool room that need blinds and another 3 in the great room.   The blinds cost way more than the windows.

So I found these
https://www.blinds.com/p/blindscom-economy-motorized-cellular-shade/517856

Super cheap, but maybe good enough.   Run power to them instead of batteries and it might work.   Automation might be creative.  I'm thinking of dissecting one of the remotes and rigging some kind of relay to it.

Anyone use these before?

--Russ 

I have maybe 12 powered Somfy blinds. Personally if I could have done any prewire it would be to add 120V outlets next to each window.  The control is all wireless, which is the way things are going, so I wouldn't terribly worry about control wiring.  I also went with wireless remotes which i have hanging by each window. If I want to adjust it, I just grab a nearby remote.  Again, using remotes is another argument for wireless.  Somfy has wireless remotes to fit in an outlet box as well, for a more installed look, but I really like the wireless handheld remotes.  

Plan on paying about $200 - $300 extra per blind for motorized Somfy blinds, at least wireless, so this may double the blind cost, depending on what you buy. Somfy makes many home automation interfaces. I use there RS232 interface connected to my Omni.

You can buy cheap motorized blinds if that is what your after. I personally want mine controlled by my home automation system. Some are controlled several times per day, and i don't want to do that manually.

The motorized blind products are finally moving ahead fairly rapidly.  The manufacturers are figuring out the public is drifting towards automation, at least in some form.  The more manufacturers get into them, the cheaper and better they will get.  Once people experience motorized blinds, they don't want anything else.

Hunter Douglas' new PowerView now offers a "C" battery pack that they project will last more than 4 years.  Time will tell.  The Hunter Douglas Hub that will run PowerView products uses serial commands for control.  Hunter is promising IP control also, but I have no idea how and when that will work out.

Bzncrewjr said:
Looking at manufacturers, these blinds get spendy.   We have 5 windows in the pool room that need blinds and another 3 in the great room.   The blinds cost way more than the windows.

So I found these
https://www.blinds.com/p/blindscom-economy-motorized-cellular-shade/517856

Super cheap, but maybe good enough.   Run power to them instead of batteries and it might work.   Automation might be creative.  I'm thinking of dissecting one of the remotes and rigging some kind of relay to it.

Anyone use these before?

--Russ 

Be sure to read the reviews on the blinds.com site for more reaction from users.

Deane Johnson said:
Be sure to read the reviews on the blinds.com site for more reaction from users.
Most of the reviews complain about horrible battery life.   I'll run a power source to them to solve that.   One review said he hacked his remote to interface with his HA system.  
I may give them a try.   The price is MUCH cheaper and I would expect quality to match.   But window treatments don't excite me.

--Russ

Taking a quick look at the blinds.com site it does seem like some of the motorized options might be by Somfy based.  The options are similar to the available Somfy options and there are references to Somfy in the general motorized blind information section.  It would be nice if they specified what the plugged in option was.  My guess is that it is a 12v, 24v or 48v power adapter which you could instead home run back to your utility room and power there and keep things pretty.  Somfy has various automation integration options so you wouldn't have to hack anything either.  I've been too cheap to buy it yet!  I need to finish my other projects before I start another one.

I can tell you that having used motorized blinds for 8 years now it is quite nice to raise 5 blinds in the kitchen area at once in the morning and then lower them all once in the evening.  The only downside is that one if them has died and Somfy will not sell me parts direct and my vendor overcharges just to act as a middle man.  Looking at blinds.com it almost seems like it would be cheaper just to buy another blind.

Steve

Realize as well is that Somfy make several grades of motors. There are battery motors (noisy), there are low-voltage motors with adapters, and there are 120V motors which are most expensive and very quiet. Myself I would never use batteries. Somfy does make one with a solar charger though.

I agree with Neurorad that you need to select a shade and then go from there.

I went with Hunter Douglas powerview.   I ran 14/2 to each window for power only.   They have wireless control using a pretty slick controller.   They are quiet and it is very handy to be able to open or tilt all of the windows in a room with a single button.   I bought a wireless hub to attach to my automation controller, however, I have not  had time to hook it up.   I am currently controlling them using the handheld controller.

I am not sure that automating the shades will add that much value.    Just motorizing the shades has been such a pleasure.   Just press the button when you want them open.

We went with Hunter Douglass Powerview, if only because Lutron doesn't make a top-down variant.  Otherwise I'd have gone with Lutron for the overall integration with my lighting. 

Top-down allows for dropping the top of the shade to provide privacy for people inside while allowing daylight/view.  Bottom/up is the way most folks think of window blinds, where the bottom pulls up.

CHECK YOUR WINDOW WIDTHS!  Most blind units require a certain minimum width for dual-action shades.  My architect was not aware of this and some of my windows are too narrow to allow for both top/down and bottom/up.  So a few windows are top/down only.  This isn't an issue as I don't really ever need the bottom to raise, but it would be problem if you need that.    Had I known this ahead of time I'd have had him simply spec the windows just a little wider.  It would have had no impact on the project costs or install.  If only...  ah well.

We're into our second year with them and their AA batteries have not yet needed replacement, this with daily three scheduled position changes (morning privacy, daytime open and night closed).  Some have another evening privacy setting.  It's almost never that I adjust them.  I do use a favorite setting on the master bedroom set to allow for selecting a privacy setting for use outside of the usual schedule.

We went battery operated because there was no decent plan-ahead documentation from any of the blind vendors.  

That and the framing is such that there's literally NO free space around most of the window openings to hide anything to be pulled later.  Window warranties are also a factor to consider, some don't allow for drilling their frames (which is stupid, but hey). 

Wireless control over individual shades is convenient.  No two mechanisms will operate at the same speed well enough to get away with trying to control them together. 

The hard part of doing this during construction is you don't know how the space is going to get used and how daylight and seasonal changes are going to affect window treatment needs/desires.  

We have some windows that are not automated.  Guest room, kids room, guest bath and master bath are all manually operated.  With the kind that use a handle on the shade itself, not cords (as those present a potential strangulation hazard to kids).  This saved money and avoids problems with guests not knowing how to use automated shades (or kids breaking them).   This has proved to be a good plan, as the master bath ones never get moved from the privacy position.

As my child gets older I'll probably automate his blinds, if just to allow for manually forcing a 'rise and shine' mode on this east-facing windows!  

I may replace the manual ones in the rec room.  The black windows at night are annoying enough to overcome my concerns about durability.  Which has been assuaged somewhat as the kids are well-behaved enough to not be wrecking things.

Batteries are working out well enough that I don't regret not having hard-wired ahead of time.  

But widths... man, that still ticks me off to think about it...

sau said:
 The only downside is that one if them has died and Somfy will not sell me parts direct and my vendor overcharges just to act as a middle man.  Looking at blinds.com it almost seems like it would be cheaper just to buy another blind.

Steve
What does "died" mean exactly??
I had a problem with one motor not moving all the way anymore, turned out Somfy doesn't 'attach' the first gear to the motor, just pressure holding it on. Just needed to renew the lube and it works perfectly again.
Really not much to the motors, if you take it apart, you'll see for yourself. You can probably find replacement parts right online and fix it yourself.

Frunple said:
What does "died" mean exactly??
I had a problem with one motor not moving all the way anymore, turned out Somfy doesn't 'attach' the first gear to the motor, just pressure holding it on. Just needed to renew the lube and it works perfectly again.
Really not much to the motors, if you take it apart, you'll see for yourself. You can probably find replacement parts right online and fix it yourself.

Well, interestingly, all eight of my Somfy blinds stopped working properly over time.  Six died about the same time after about 3 years with similar symptoms.  Unfortunately, two of the blinds that were used much less frequently, died just after their 5 year warranty.  The vendor repaired the first 6 by having them shipped back to Somfy and back.  It has been more then 4 years now for the repaired blinds and things are still doing well.

The symptoms would start out mild and then to eventual failure.  The symptoms would progress as follows:
- stopping early or overshooting (a couple of the repaired blinds have done this once or twice in the last year)
- losing their memory set points (middle button for favorite position)
- completely overshooting their bounds requiring a reset and reconfigure
- failing to raise or lower and only going up 0.25" at a time (similar to when adjusting the edge set point but not being able to return to normal operations)
- eventually they would fail to even operate

My next steps are to take one of the blinds down, get the motor model number and try and order a new one and fix it myself.  Just haven't gotten around to it.

I love my blinds but the ownership costs are a bit annoying and Somfy's vendor lock in is aggravating.

Steve

Back