Kwikset Video Tells Compelling Life Story in 3 Minutes

pete_c

Guru
Just an automation marketing video for Kwikset with Home Connect

Smartcode with Home Connect - extended version

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6Wr2OTnF_M4[/youtube]

Cool video but I'm not comfortable with wireless door locks. I'm not so much concerned with being hacked as I am with the lock not working due to RF interference or some other fault. I did research and decided to install a wired door strike in my detached garage but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mike.

Yeah; just a video / promo / article that I saw on CE Pro (or one of those other trade magazines).

A bit similar to those ADT commercials on television.

Mostly here have noticed that any DIY'd locks you purchase at a big box store (whether mechanical or electronic) have mostly turned in to cheap junk. 

Here and old house used the services of an old friend who had a locksmith / alarm safe company shop for commercial and home stuff. 

I was more impressed with the condition of the vehicle and lock over the ~18 years the commercial spanned :)

I've got the very first generation of Kwikset Home Connect locks installed. I recall pre-ordering them from ASI many years ago. No issues to report. I do like the newer models as they now support the user setting more than (2) locking codes at the lock natively, and now have a full 10-digit set of keys. The ones I have only allow (2) codes to be set via the lock; to set additional codes I would need a primary controller that supported that functionality and mine do not.

I am likely planning to install a door strike at my next home, but not because I have an issue with the lock (RF or mechanically), but simply because I don't want to have to keep changing batteries. Granted, it's only required 2-3x a year, it's still something I have to be aware of and a hard wired solution eliminates that.

The battery thing is the reason I've skipped on integrated locks.  I've got the non-RF Schlage keypad locks and typically see 2+ years between replacing the 9v cell.  That and it gives an advance warning of at least a dozen or more unlock cycles before going dead.  At which point you can always still use the key.

I love my Kwikset locks.  I had a serious problem of people leaving the house and not locking the door.  Now, it auto-relocks 60 seconds after the door closes (HAI logic triggers the relock via door sensor and timer).  Like drvnbysound, I have the original first gen, but changing batteries 2-3 times a year is no biggie for me.  The lock beeps at you when they get low and you usually still have several days usage before they actually stop working.  I'd buy them again.

Back