ELKRP not connecting

BB22

Hi guys,

Spent several hours last night trying to figure this out but wasn't successful. A month or so ago, I upgraded laptop to Windows 10. Not sure what happened but I lost all my stuff. Not fun

I redownloaded the ELKPR application and realized I am not able to find my previous set account. Can believe I'm having this issue, but what else can I do.

I started completing the different section from the ELKRP menu and noticed I'm not able to hit the send & receive button located at the bottom of the setup page. I am not able to connect with the network option but I am able to connect using the COM 3 option.

Does anybody know why I don't see the option send and reveive. I need to get my ELK back up and running, please help.

Thanks

Pitbull50 said:
Hi guys,

Spent several hours last night trying to figure this out but wasn't successful. A month or so ago, I upgraded laptop to Windows 10. Not sure what happened but I lost all my stuff. Not fun

I redownloaded the ELKPR application and realized I am not able to find my previous set account. Can believe I'm having this issue, but what else can I do.

I started completing the different section from the ELKRP menu and noticed I'm not able to hit the send & receive button located at the bottom of the setup page. I am not able to connect with the network option but I am able to connect using the COM 3 option.

Does anybody know why I don't see the option send and reveive. I need to get my ELK back up and running, please help.

Thanks

Have you looked for your old RP database in the ProgramData/RP folder?  I believe that the file would be called elkaccts.db by default.

If the send/receive button is grayed out then you are not connected to the M1 control. If the send/receive button is missing then I have no clue.

You say that you connected using Com3 but is there a serial cable attached between the pc and the M1? Are you certain that you are connected?

Mike.

The send receive option is visible but grey can't be selected. When I use the com3 option it shows connected in green at the bottom. I can make changes to the zones meaning the zone name, the description of its closed zone, open zone etc but could not connect by network. It says something about wrong IP address but it's the same ip then before I lost the application before my windows upgrade. When I use the find option it detect my system.

Windows 10 dropped support for some older versions of SSL/TLS, which is all the older firmware has available.  As Mike mentioned you can upgrade the firmware or you can try using the non-secure port in your ElkRP connect settings if you have that enabled.

Pitbull50 said:
If I go back to window 8.1 will this solve the problem?

It might or might not. 

The problem is that the M1XEP only supports SSL 3.0 with the old firmware level.  SSL 3.0 has security issues that date back several years and most browsers and web sites have stopped supporting it.

Microsoft disabled support for SSL 3.0 as of December 2014.  I think Firefox disabled support in Firefox v34 and Google disabled it in Chrome v40. 

So, depending on what browser and which version you are going back to, it may or may not work.

You might actually be able to re-enable SSL 3.0 under IE11 and get things to work under Windows 10, according to this tip from Microsoft.  I haven't tried this, but it might be worth a shot before you revert to Windows 8.1. 

If you are using Chrome or Firefox as your browser, you will probably have to re-enable SSL 3.0 in the browser configuration, if that is still possible.

Pitbull50 said:
If I go back to window 8.1 will this solve the problem?
I wouldn't look back....... even if going back to 8.1 does work now everything changes in time and it is bound to catch up with you down the road. Many of us have successfully upgraded the XEP firmware and a few here are using w\Windows 10 with RP. I think it will be worth your time to bring the Elk up to Windows 10 rather than reverting Windows back to V8.

Mike.

thought I would share the message I get when I try to connect using network :Connection error: could not connect. Possible reasons: the secure port is not forwarded throught the router. The IP address or URL is incorrect. The remote site is down.

The IP address is found by select the Find button so I dont see how its incorrect. The port is forwarded to ELK secure port. Did I miss something?

Pitbull50 said:
thought I would share the message I get when I try to connect using network :Connection error: could not connect. Possible reasons: the secure port is not forwarded throught the router. The IP address or URL is incorrect. The remote site is down.

The IP address is found by select the Find button so I dont see how its incorrect. The port is forwarded to ELK secure port. Did I miss something?

It isn't a problem with the IP address per se.  Rather, it is a software protocol problem. It can't connect because there is a protocol mismatch between what Windows 10 supports and what the M1XEP supports.  Whether the error is due to a bad IP address or a protocol problem, the software doesn't distinguish between the two and just spits out a generic "connection error."

ok so this link help get things on the right track. I started setting everything up as I previously had things but now when I go and try to launch the ELKPR application I get a message indicating; Unrecognized system type, if this is a new model, contact the company listed in the help/about window for an update. What is this?

Pitbull50 said:
ok so this link help get things on the right track. I started setting everything up as I previously had things but now when I go and try to launch the ELKPR application I get a message indicating; Unrecognized system type, if this is a new model, contact the company listed in the help/about window for an update. What is this?

Have you recently installed new firmware on the M1?  If you are running an older version of RP2, it will not recognize the firmware levels that were released after the RP2 release date, and that may be why you are getting the unrecognized system message.

The current version of RP2 is 2.0.24.

The latest M1 firmware is 5.3.8.

What levels of M1 firmware and RP2 are you running?

Thinking the XEP FW might also toss that error. Can't say since I just jumped to W10 on my desktop and haven't tried connecting to a panel with it. Laptops are being held back at the moment.

Back