New Router - need IP adress update - ELK XEP

Goldfix

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a new router but the ranges of my new ASUS router are different then my old D-Link. Currently my XEP as a Static ip address and I thought by simply connecting my new router all would get configurated based on my new range. I guess I was wrong.

If im not mistaken, to change to XEP IP address to match my new router, I need to use the jumper to set it as dynamic address and then use the jumper again to reset it as a static ip address using the new router range. The problem, I cant find the jumper that came with the XEP. I have had this XEP for a few years now.

Does it need to be a specific jumper, where can i find it.

Thanks

GoldFix

Just set a static IP on the old range on your PC and log into the XEP and change the XEP IP to the new static using ElkRP.  Then change your PC back.   

Or log into your router and change the range to match what you had on your DLink.

wuench

How do you set a fixed static IP address on a windows PC?

MIke.

EDIT

Is it done in the adapter properties window?

wuench said:
Just set a static IP on the old range on your PC and log into the XEP and change the XEP IP to the new static using ElkRP.  Then change your PC back.   

Or log into your router and change the range to match what you had on your DLink.

how do I do this from the PC?

TurboSam said:
I just detailed step-by-step how I set a static IP address on a PC when the IP address of my XEP does not match my network range in this thread.
Question, when I change the IP address on my pc from 192.168.1.X (what router range shows) to 192.168.0.x (old ip) this means I would no longer have internet access on my laptop correct? How do I connect to the XEP with no internet connetion? Will I be able to connect using COM3 option?

You probably do lose interent access (I've never checked it), but neither your PC nor the XEP needs internet access simply to fix the IP address that is coded into the XEP.  You only need network access--which is what changing the IP address on your computer allows you to do to the XEP.  Once you have told the XEP device to use the new IP address, you then change your PC back to its former IP address, which would re-establish it's internet access.

The key thing is that once the XEP has the corrected IP address coded in its memory (ie your router's range), it has network access so you can add configure it, add rules, etc AND internet access to download updates, establish remote connections, etc).

Why don't you just change the router subnet to what the old one was.

There will be a tab called "LAN" or maybe "Home Network" or something like that.  It might be a subtab behind "advanced".

You can assign your router LAN address (i.e 192.168.1.1)
And a DHCP range (ie 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150).  

If you have things with static IP's, make sure to not include those in the DHCP range (ie not between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.150)
Personally, I would not use static addresses but rather use DHCP reservations (maybe called allocations) where you assign a device (using the mac address) to always get the same IP and then put set all your devices to receive their address via DHCP instead of static.  If you do this you can open up the DHCP range to all addresses except the router (ie 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255)  Then you'll never accidentally put 2 things on the same IP.

Leave the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

Back