failed test Dynamic DNS

BB22

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup the option dynamic dns tab in the PR2 and I get a message saying test failed. In the field URL or IP address of dynamic DNS Provider should I be entering www.dyndns.com?

I am using dyn BTW.

DNS = Domain Name System. It's a server address that resolves domain names to public IP addresses. This has nothing to do with dyndns, other than how your Elk system will reach dyndns.

I typically use the ones my ISP provides with the assumption that if the DNS is down, the ISP is as well or vice versa. To find out what your current DNS is, open a Command Prompt window (click the Start menu and search for 'cmd'). Once open, enter the command: 'ipconfig /all'. Your DNS server address(es) will be listed.

Having said that, you can also use Google's: 8.8.8.8

If you have Comcast they use: 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76

I don't think it's a number that goes in that field. It refers to an url address. Isn't this the section that will communicate with the dns account?

You would only need to set DynDNS up on the Elk if you aren't doing it on your router.  It is better to do this on your router if you can as it will have better access to if/when your public IP changes.

My apologies for the above. I saw failed test and DNS and assumed that you were having an issue with the DNS setup. I now see that you were referring to the DynDNS setup instead.

I use the free service from No-IP, so I can't help much with DynDNS.

Firewalls also tend to stop the passing of the DNS.

My desktop with Symantec wouldn't pass a DNS test but with Win firewall it would.

Also, there's some caveats to using with the RP and XEP. Covered in the release notes.

DNS also takes some time to update once the changes are made.

Back