RP2 rules help

TLGriff

I'm trying to bypass a walkout basement motion detector when someone goes down the stairs, but not if someone were to break a window and enter from the outside.

I added a second motion detector looking up the stairs that will trigger if someone walks down and thought I could use its output to write a rule to bypass the downstairs motion detector. I wrote the two rules below to bypass the motion sensor if someone walks down and then unbypass it when the walk back up, but they don't seem to work and I don't know how to go about debugging them in the system. This is my first attempt at writing rules, so I could be way off base. Anyone have an idea why these don't work?

WHENEVER Basement Stairs (Zn14) BECOMES NOT SECURE
     AND AREA ARMED
        THEN BYPASS Basement Motion (Zn12)

WHENEVER Basement Stairs (Zn14) BECOMES NOT SECURE
    AND Basement Motion (Zn12) BYPASS STATE IS BYPASSED
        THEN UNBYPASS Basement Motion (Zn12)

Tom

I'd think you'd want the armed conditional first, followed by the secure/unsecure portion of the rule to perform the action. I'd look at a phantom output or counter based action. I don't think your syntax will work properly.

If there's a door at the top of the basement stairs, I'd put a contact on that and use that to fire the logic. Cleaner

mikefamig said:
Just turn the alarm volumess as low as they can go in global settings to test it.

Mike.

The wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for this stuff, so there isn't a volume level low enough. :)

But I will try that tomorrow.

DELInstallations said:
I'd think you'd want the armed conditional first, followed by the secure/unsecure portion of the rule to perform the action. I'd look at a phantom output or counter based action. I don't think your syntax will work properly.

If there's a door at the top of the basement stairs, I'd put a contact on that and use that to fire the logic. Cleaner

I took the armed conditional out and the logic worked, so I'll try putting it back in at the top and see if it still works.

I did consider setting a counter to one or zero for bypass or not, but I'm going to beat on this logic for a while first. The counter will be a good backup plan. Is the any functional difference between using a counter or using a one of the outputs as a flag?

There is no door, hence the motion detector.

Thanks,

Tom

TLGriff said:
I took the armed conditional out and the logic worked, so I'll try putting it back in at the top and see if it still works.

I did consider setting a counter to one or zero for bypass or not, but I'm going to beat on this logic for a while first. The counter will be a good backup plan. Is the any functional difference between using a counter or using a one of the outputs as a flag?

There is no door, hence the motion detector.

Thanks,

Tom
You need to provide a timed event otherwise once your motion relay becomes secure, the bypass is gone. Constantly flopping states and also possibly allowing it to return to the system when the other motion becomes secure with a person in proximity.

I'd use the counter to give yourself a timed buffer that is longer than the normal PIR relay time.

(I probably would've installed stress detectors on the stair and gone for the cleaner look and absolute detection).

Do you have automated lighting in the system? It might work for you to sense when the basement light goes on and the system is armed then bypass the basement motion detector. Of course you would have to remember to turn the light on even in the daytime in order to cause the bypass.

I probably wouldn't recommend going that route compared to absolute items and things that don't require hope and pray sensing.Too many chances for the lighting or sense to not function properly.

DELInstallations said:
Why I suggested a stress detector on the stair joist. I've used them a lot in the past.

I'll keep that in mind for my next new construction. Pulling wires to this stairway would be a nightmare.

Tom

It's usually easier than you'd imagine. Typically all dead space and the only part would be to install a blank plate where the pulsor gets installed.

Back