*** What DDNS are you using?

Mp333

Hello,

Wondering what others are using for DDNS. I was using changeip.com and it stopped working. I then switched to no-ip.com and still no. Just wondering what free DDNS works or any others.

Thanks

Here have been using a paid sub to no ip dot com for some  10 years now.  It is inexpensive. 

One of my first IP cameras was a Panasonic many years ago.  They still offer a free dynamic DNS server. 

I do not think you need a camera to register on the Panasonic site.

Viewnetcam.com (Free DDNS service)

I've been using DynDNS for years and years. I was using their free service, then upgraded to the $40/year. Given how often I use it, $3.50/month is chump change.

What is ip address address you are using for no-ip in the XEP setup?

I do not have an XEP as I have an OmniPro 2.  I utilize it today for multiple geographical locations and typically now surf via a IPSec VPN tunnel going to my home router and then back out to the internet via PFSense.  I call up the IPSec tunnel with the DDNS name; well that and a hosting service lately.  You can install IPSec today on just about any mobile / tablet device / PC in whatever flavour of OS you have.   I do not a la carte any open ports on the firewall today (stopped doing that in the 2000's).

I wrote a quickie DIY using PFSense here a bit ago.....PFSense VPN Easy Peasy way.

Thinking now a days you can do this with an off the shelf SOHO combo router box.

@IVB I purchase 3-5 years of DDNS at a time and always request a discount in the bulk buy using a phone and calling the sales guy up telling them I am a long time DDNS user.  I do not recall what I paid last time but it was less than $40 a year.  I am at some over 20 DDNS host names today.

BTW sort of mentioned this stuff which tweaking a Windows 10 for automation purposes only touchscreen tablet as it was calling up over a 100 IP addresses chit chatting with the mothership.  The OS is tight and it does provide the ultimate user experience.  I tested it running on an IPSec tunnel from the internet (via LTE cellular) to my mother ship and it worked fine.

I use DTDNS's free service, up to 5 free hostnames.   I let my router (DDWRT) update my DNS.

Well here for example use two for geographically differently placed weather stations.  The DNS name defines the location and too they are on the same web hosting service.

It is a leftover now sort of as I remember them better with a geographical name for IPSec tunnels.  (getting old these days).

You can define the IPSec tunnel if you want to one device/ one internal server (IE like CCTV stuff) rather than the whole network.  Busy work I guess.  It used to be a PITA defined the levels of encryption and now it is more plug n play (with PFSense) with much higher levels of encryption.  The portable hand held internet devices today have faster CPU's and more memory which allows this sort of stuff to happen easier.

I did notice a reduction in my bandwidth on the LTE connection testing while initially having a bunch going to a smaller pipe when enabling VPN (maybe throttling by T-Mobile).  IE: they cannot see what is inside of the tunnel but wondering if they know that it is there auto magically?

My ISP internet addresses never change even though they using DHCP.  I do push and manually change my IPs spoofing MAC addresses on the internet facing side. 

Thinking when it is free (unless you utilize multiple accounts) you are allowed only one domain name (IE name dot whatever)

You do realize they all point to the same IP address, right??
No matter how many names you use, they all resolve to your public IP address. Doesn't really make sense to use more than one, the point of domain names is to make it easier to remember then your IP address. Now you have to remember multiple domain names??

You do realize they all point to the same IP address, right??

No matter how many names you use, they all resolve to your public IP address.

You are correct sir if you are using it for just your home ISP connection with the default ISP provided DHCP address.

My different DDNS names go to different internet IP addresses and same IP but different directories on my hosting services.

For one ISP connection one house then with a tickle the free stuff works fine (sort of).

I remotely take care of my sister's stuff and use DDNS rather than have her do a "what is my IP address google search) especially if I am doing stuff in the middle of the morning (3 AM).  I do think a lot of Cocoontech folks which deal with IT do similiar for their families wherever they are in the US or abroad.  I do come from a very small family such that it is easy to do.

Each geographically autonomous location does a tickle to my no-ip account for their own unique Dynamic DNS stuff.

Relating to using PFSense no computer that accesses the internet does direct requests as all DNS requests goes to the PFSense mothership (one IP) which uses DNS forwarder and resolver services.  You can also get a gold sub from PFSense which will back up your stuff and manage it if you want for a yearly fee.

1 - whatchamacallit internal device IP DNS request ===> PFSense (one IP) with DNS forwarder/resolver services ==> whichever list of DNS servers configured (multiple's of).

2 - whatchamacallit internal device IP NTP request ==> internal NTP server using multiple satellites for a stratum zero source (with no reliance on the internet).

3 - running Squid (using ClamAV subs -free for private use) and Snort (VRT sub- free for private use) on the mothership which is working very hard these days.  (IE for a Cisco ASA / Barracuda /Netgear ProSafe / Juniper / SonicWall / Fortinet (well and a bunch more commercial appliances)  it is paid for by whatever company).  IE: just last week got to play with the newest 1U Cisco ASA.  Very clean efficient looking machine.  Just curious why they make the GUI such a hodgepodge collection of stuff (like a splat of art) very similar to the first web based java clients they used for the commercial switches.  Definitely written by someone translating stuff from whatever to english.  (there are typos in it still - very odd considering it is around a $4000 - $7000 USD or so plus appliance).  Many many years ago had to write a sort of installation manual for a custom Cisco router OS that used MATIP (plus the regular normal router stuff).  Really it was a translation of ill conceived logic making it a bit difficult to do an off the shelf configuration of it and all I did was translate it to router (brouter) english. 

4 - IPSec VPN can be one for many or you can individualize different IPSec tunnels it depending on your needs.

NOTE: I do not work for PFSense; just use it and a happy camper.

I use DynDNS... I used the free version forever, then was quite irritated when they went to paid and made the freebie users jump through a lot of ridiculous hoops to keep it free... then I got over it, and found a deal that got me like 5 years for $60 or something like that and jumped on it.

I probably also get more use out of it than the average person; I have servers in a colocation data center, plus my house, and some other things I do so I created quite a few hosts.  I also take advantage of CName listings in my domains I own so that something like cams.myhouse.com actually points to myhouse.dyndns.org to make it super user-friendly without interfering with myhouse.com email going to google, and other similar services.  

I have been looking to move my domain to google to take advantage of email etc, and noticed that they offer a DDNS service if they host the domain.

Curious what their prices are for that and does it include email too?

Doing a quickie check see: (best guess)

1 - domain name at $12 / year with email forwarding, DDNS

Rest of it is a bit confusing to me. 

It would be nice to roll in the domain name, DDNS, email and web hosting as today I am paying for everything separately.

1 - domain *
2 - email using domain name *
3 - DDNS
4 - web hosting

* one price  (for domain and email) every 3-5 years

Just looking here when I registered my domain and it was around 2003 along with my email services.

Looks like for web hosting for google it is either Google Apps ($5/mo) or third party.   Or, I might look at Google Cloud if I want to keep hosting.  The big plus for me is getting gmail on my domain, mostly to filter spam.  Right now it's a manual/painful process.

Yes here do not get any spam on my domain email address such that the spam filters work fine.  I do get spam on my Verizon (AOL now) and Comcast accounts such that I never use them much these days.  I also get spam (mostly it is all filtered and I see it in my junk spam boxes) on my Google, Microsoft and Yahoo accounts.  Typically register on web sites using Google or Microsoft; never Yahoo (which went south for me many years ago).

I do not utilize my personal domain for my web hosting service; did so when I first got it back in the early 2000's.

Back