Wireless networking question

Ira

Thanks to the recent Brazos River flooding, I will be living in a leased house for the next six months or so. This house doesn't have any LAN wiring in the walls. I will have Internet access (and video and voice) via Comcast/Xfinity. The cable modem will be located near the TV in the center of the house. The house has cable wall jacks in pretty much every room.

I have several networked devices (desktop PC's, NAS boxes, printers, etc.) that do not have wireless capabilities (they were all hardwired in my home). These devices will be spread across at least two locations, neither location being near the cable modem. I need some advice on how to get the "LAN" to these two locations. I don't want to run cat6 from the modem to the locations because there's no good way to hide the cables, and I don't want to put any holes in the wall. Therefore, I need a wireless solution to complete my wired LAN.

Let's assume that the cable modem is in room A, and I need to have network/Internet access in rooms B and C (the two rooms previously mentioned). I will have a LAN switch in all three rooms and can run cables from the room's switch to the network devices. I will have a router connected to the cable modem in room A, and an ASUS wireless access point connected to my router (in the same location, for iPads, etc.).

I guess what I have is essentially three small LANs that I need to connect wirelessly. They must all be in the same subnet, e.g., all have 10.1.2.nnn IP addresses, and be able to communicate with each other.

Any suggestions on how to do this, what equipment to use, etc.? I'm open to buying additional hardware, as I work from home and Internet access is a requirement. I would rather by COTS appliances than build custom devices.

Thanks,
Ira

Sorry to hear about the flooding, I have been through that several times myself.    The last one got my truck as well.   Its a painful thing to go thorugh, but it is amazing the things ServPro can do.  Hope it all works out....

You just need a wireless to ethernet adapter or another router/ap configured in client mode, connected to each switch.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=ethernet+to+wireless&rh=n%3A541966%2Ck%3Aethernet+to+wireless
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

Thanks for the reply. Looked at a couple of the ones on the Amazon link.

Do I need one for each network device, or can I connect one to a LAN switch port, and connect network devices to the LAN switch's other ports? Since I have lots of switches, the latter solution would be pretty cheap for me.

You can also utilize powerline networking.  I tried it a few years ago and it worked ok for me.  Today I am thinking it is better. 

Wireless is convenient but doesn't replace a wired network.

Just a random google here.

Home Plug

Look at the specifications of:

ZyXEL PLA4205kit HomePlug AV 500 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units)  - $65 on Amazon.

On the ZyXEL website they offer both powerline and coaxial networking devices such that you can utilize the coaxial cables for your networking experience.

PLC.jpg

coax.jpg

Ira said:
Thanks for the reply. Looked at a couple of the ones on the Amazon link.

Do I need one for each network device, or can I connect one to a LAN switch port, and connect network devices to the LAN switch's other ports? Since I have lots of switches, the latter solution would be pretty cheap for me.

You would just need to connect one to a switch port.

You would utilize three AP's (Access points).

1 - one AP would be on the same switch (LAN) side that the ISP modem is connected to.  Writing about single purpose AP's with a router / firewall connected to ISP and switch.  (no need to go through the AP router here)
2 - second / third wireless AP would be clients (on LAN side) to #1 AP.

IE:

ISP Modem ==> Router/Firewall/ and or AP ===> Switch at modem side ===> wireless base (#1) ===>
Across to a different part of your home you would then have

#2 AP serving as a client to first one connected to your ISP modem ===> you only need to use the LAN side to the switch port and it will be on the same network (give it a static IP)
Note in client mode they will not be a regular access point such that a portable wireless device in the house will need to get to AP #1

#3 AP serving as a client to first one connected to your ISP modem ===> you only need to use the LAN side to the switch port and it will be on the same network (give it a static IP)
Note in client mode they will not be a regular access point such that a portable wireless device in the house will need to get to AP #1

Many or most AP's let you use them in client mode / wireless bridge mode.  With two radios in an AP you can turn one radio in to a client and the other in to a regular AP. 

If you went with the powerline network device you would just plug the remote two switches to the remote power line ethernet devices. 

Wireless signals and throughput can be iffy depending on the construction of your home.

Back